WTA WTA 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is Swiatek not playing Madrid?

Resting basically, she’ll claim injury but it’s workload. Got to remember there’s no break between the French and Wimbledon she needs all the energy she can get

Swiatek will be back for Rome then the French where she'll be the No 1 seed and favourite for the title. Probably will need another week off after those two before the short grss swing.
Madrid is rather interesting. Hoping Jabeur takes the title, she played great against Halep.

Loved that Jabeur won Madrid and is playing well in Rome.

Just on the women's final which impacted Zverev's semi due to starting it so late. The women's final started on a Thursday and I really don't get how the final was played on a Saturday at a ridiculous time. Final should of been played on a Friday or before both men's semis. Play should of started at 4pm. No wonder Zverev was furious at the time his semi started and not having enough time to recover for the final.

My new favourite women player is Jill Teichmen love the way she goes about her game. Watched her match last night and she was so into it and the way she celebrated afterwards was brillant.

Jabeur wins again in Roma.

And - despite retiring from singles at the AO - Sam Stosur has received a singles wildcard for the tourney in Strasbourg this week.

Stosur does not know when to give up, she really should have given up over 5 years ago.

She's playing singles to prepare doubles - You have no reason to give up when you have won a GT doubles title in 2021.

if you want to keep playing doubles then theres other ways to prepare, going out and getting smashed in round 1 of every single slam is not great preparation, it must leave psychological scars that would impact her doubles. She should just hit the practice courts harder if she wants more prep for the doubles

It was a bit of extra pocket-money for her. And as a two-time champ in Strasbourg (and ex-GS champ) she would have sold a couple more tickets than some young scrub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big gap between no1 and no2
yeah, huge gap.

Really unique situation. of the 4 grand slams, 2 are held by a now-retired champion, 1 is held by a 18-year-old who hasn't kicked on and the other is held by the world number 1.

On top of that, I would say the finalists of all 4 grand slams have not had a good full year on top of that.

Creates a scenario where we have, quite frankly, a person who shouldn't be number 2 in the world. And another who shouldn't be number 3 in the world.
Things could get even more crazy with no ranking points at Wimbledon

She did win something like 21 matches in a row indoors which helped
Reminds me of when Mladenovic made it into the top 10 after losing her 11th consecutive singles match. Not "she remained into the top 10 despite losing 11 in a row". She actually moved up into the top 10 after losing her 11th consecutive match.

WTH. Kontaveit as the world number 2....

Iga has such a points lead. Has more points than the 2nd and 3rd combined.

Kontaveit did go on a tear late last year.

On form you'd be more shocked with Pliskova and Mug in the top 10.

They've both been hopeless this year.

Do Wimbledon points drop off altogether or do they get to keep last years? If Pliskova loses her final points she will be right down near Osaka somewhere.

yeah, huge gap.

Really unique situation. of the 4 grand slams, 2 are held by a now-retired champion, 1 is held by a 18-year-old who hasn't kicked on and the other is held by the world number 1.

On top of that, I would say the finalists of all 4 grand slams have not had a good full year on top of that.

Creates a scenario where we have, quite frankly, a person who shouldn't be number 2 in the world. And another who shouldn't be number 3 in the world.
Things could get even more crazy with no ranking points at Wimbledon
I was expecting Badosa to have a better year after a strong performance in 2021.

Womens rankings looking weird has been helped by Barty retiring, Osaka taking a long break from the game last year. Other injuries keeping others out of the top 10 that would normally be there. They are going to be crazy until at least after Aus Open next year when we have 4 slam winners who are in the game still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back