AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Out November 20215 :D

Gameplay trailer from E3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1062&v=AzAKyj-KK-E

A few more details

http://au.ign.com/articles/2015/06/02/xcom-2-welcoming-our-new-alien-overlords?page=1

The resistance vs a hidden invader plot is hardly original but it should work well building on the last XCOM storyline and set up some new options for the gameplay.

I don't know if its how clean they make futuristic cities look or what but I'm not exactly blown away by the gamplay graphics, hardly a deal breaker with an xcom game but still it'll be interesting to see how it looks once it's released.

Also not stoked that its PC exclusive for the foreseeable future seeing as I played Enemy Unknown and Within on the PS3 but I can understand why they're going down that route and if it adds more variety straight out of the box and down the track encourages modding and user generated content then I'm just going to have to get myself a PC control pad.

Turn based games are always going to be a niche market but if XCOM 2 builds on what the last one did right and then really supports the modding community this one could be going for a long time.

Last edited:
I am playing X Com the long war to get ready for his. Hands down the X Com series, I have played all would have to be one of the best I have played. Right up there with the Mass Effect trilogy.

I just cant wait. November is gonna suck with both X Com 2 and Fallout 4 released in the same month

Yeah this is why I'm not ragging about it being PC exclusive, I rarely finish games anymore and when I do its even rarer that I go back and play through them again or work too hard for 100% completion. After first playing XCOM only a few months ago I've already played through Unknown and Within, both on normal, I'm currently getting my arse handed to me trying to get a Classic Ironman run happening and I'm just sorry that I'll miss out on the Long War seeing as I'm playing on a console.

The variety of maps holds up pretty well ( save scum is a handy option as well) but if new maps were still turning up or even slightly different buildings, barriers and alien groupings within known maps it'd really help to make each campaign feel different.

The talk of 'procedurally generated mapping' sounds like it'll make that possible fairly quickly and I definitely expect more in depth modding as time goes on. The community is pretty strong already and I reckon if they get this game right then versions of it could still be getting played a decade from now.

Of course it all depends on how much they get right with the original release.

Only a couple of weeks until release now, February 5th, and the first reviews/ early plays are all sounding very promising. Standard promotion I'm sure but still it looks like XCOM 2 will be a solid step on from the first one and might just push it a bit further again.

Still not sure how I'm going to play it though :(

Played Enemy Unknown when it was a PS Plus free game a few years back on the PS3. Would love to play this on PS4. I could get it on PC I suppose but I'm more a console gamer at heart. :p

Played Enemy Unknown when it was a PS Plus free game a few years back on the PS3. Would love to play this on PS4. I could get it on PC I suppose but I'm more a console gamer at heart. :p
It costs an American dollar at the moment.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Surely you can afford that :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best description I have heard is "like a game of jenga, one wrong move and the whole thing comes tumbling down."

Abso-f***ing-lutely :)

My favourite example from the first one was after finishing it a few times on Unknown and Within I still hadn't completed a classic/ironman attempt and it was starting to really bug me.

So I finally had a good run going and I thought I had survived the hardest initial stages in good order. Finally completed the Portent mission with a few injuries but no fatalities and was only one more paycheck from sitting pretty.

Next up I'm on what I'm expecting to be an easy-ish mission on a map I know backwards, uncover a couple of sectoids, but hey no risks here, lets play it safe and pull back, set up for an overwatch ambush..... right up to my last guy, who had uncovered the aliens. In a moment of brilliance he decides to turn left rather than right (where the squad was) and with his last step covers a few more aliens conveniently flaking everyone.

A few bad rolls and a brief massacre later... my squad gets half wiped out.
So the hospital is full when the UFO rolls up and I fail the recovery mission. I few more deaths but most importantly I also...
Lose the money needed for the uplink to go with 4 already ordered satellites. Forced to skip a mission, fail another.
End of the month, two countries leave in disgust making the Africa bonus impossible.
And the first mission or two of the next month confirms that this game is over.

Tl:dr
One soldier, one square in the wrong direction and That's xcom baby.

I did eventually get a classic/ironman finished by going back to unknown rather than within.

Last edited:
I love this series so much. Have been playing it since psx days and there was also an odd one off version a friend had on his 486 but I can't remember too many details. Possibly one of the most unforgiving games I've played in 30+ years of gaming. Have only been playing this version for about a week and have restarted the game 4 times.

I'm not sure how I didn't get into this earlier, fair enough I didn't play a lot of PC games until at least the late 90s but about the time of the first game I was putting a billion hours into playing Shining Force 1 & 2 on the megadrive (would love to see Firaxis contracted to do a reboot of that series) and so when I got the playstation I'm really surprised I didn't give xcom a try.

Started Xcom 2 today on the ps4, will see how far I can get into it before needing my first restart. Not sure about retconing the history of the first game
but stoked to see Bradford back again (though I wish they had the same voice actor) and had to laugh when Mr Deep-throat-no-face popped up again.

It really shits me how long your soldiers are unavailable for once injured. 20 days? wtf? In my current game I'm up to the mission where you first encounter the shape shifter. I got through it first go but every team member was wounded so I reloaded thinking I could do better. Have replayed the mission about half a dozen times now and can't get through it without at least one crew member getting killed. :'(

Only got into XCOM through Enemy Unknown on PS3 which was a free PSN game and fell in love with it straight away.

Amazing how attached you get to your soldiers and the pain of losing a Colonel due to one mistake/or missed shot throwing your plans into jeopardy. :p

Great series!

Only got into XCOM through Enemy Unknown on PS3 which was a free PSN game and fell in love with it straight away.

Amazing how attached you get to your soldiers and the pain of losing a Colonel due to one mistake/or missed shot throwing your plans into jeopardy. :p

Great series!
There's nothing worse than getting a bit too gung ho and moving a soldier right next to an enemy with one bar left thinking it'll be a quick and easy kill only to have them miss from point blank. Wtf? How could you miss that?? You deserve to die!!

There's nothing worse than getting a bit too gung ho and moving a soldier right next to an enemy with one bar left thinking it'll be a quick and easy kill only to have them miss from point blank. Wtf? How could you miss that?? You deserve to die!!

Definitely guilty of that! Made myself and wanted to be the main hero with the highest kill count etc - would move super close to enemies and even out of cover...only to realise I'd run into an ambush and pay the ultimate price. :p

Abso-f***ing-lutely :)

My favourite example from the first one was after finishing it a few times on Unknown and Within I still hadn't completed a classic/ironman attempt and it was starting to really bug me.

So I finally had a good run going and I thought I had survived the hardest initial stages in good order. Finally completed the Portent mission with a few injuries but no fatalities and was only one more paycheck from sitting pretty.

Next up I'm on what I'm expecting to be an easy-ish mission on a map I know backwards, uncover a couple of sectoids, but hey no risks here, lets play it safe and pull back, set up for an overwatch ambush..... right up to my last guy, who had uncovered the aliens. In a moment of brilliance he decides to turn left rather than right (where the squad was) and with his last step covers a few more aliens conveniently flaking everyone.

A few bad rolls and a brief massacre later... my squad gets half wiped out.
So the hospital is full when the UFO rolls up and I fail the recovery mission. I few more deaths but most importantly I also...
Lose the money needed for the uplink to go with 4 already ordered satellites. Forced to skip a mission, fail another.
End of the month, two countries leave in disgust making the Africa bonus impossible.
And the first mission or two of the next month confirms that this game is over.

Tl:dr
One soldier, one square in the wrong direction and That's xcom baby.

I did eventually get a classic/ironman finished by going back to unknown rather than within.

Haha yep. Have found thats the one thing you really have to be OCD about to complete an ironman run, soldier movement. First soldier to move has to be the scout, and you're really playing with fire if you move any subsequent soldier further or wider than the first one. Gotta pay attention to pathing too. If you reveal with the last solider to move as you describe above, you're cooked.

Same. Within a few months of playing on PS3 had bought the PC version and installed Long War.

Not sure if my PC will run XCOM2, might grab the console version first. Any must-have PC mods doing the rounds for 2?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back