Youngest MP and first Indigenous lower house MP - which party?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
For all the talk about how the Coalition is out of touch with the youth vote and are a bunch of red neck racists (plenty of that here), the two Wyatt's - Roy and Ken (Hasluck WA) - as the youngest MP and the first Indigenous MP in the lower house both being Coalition MP's could be wild cards if another election is called in short order. If the Coalition is smart they'll get the pair of them out there as faces of the parties much more then as just as two new MP's.

And best of all no quotas, Emily's lists or other artificial bullshit required to get them there. :thumbsu:

I agree on the artificial bullshit.

However, don't read too much into this. It's still an Abbott government. Always much easier for conservatives to break the demographic barriers because the left don't run negative campaigns on this basis.

it just smacks of tokenism IMO rather than getting the best candidates out there. One day our parliament will be full of ex celebrities, former rock stars, retired ABC journos and old tennis greats as parties battle for the cheap celebrity vote.

Wyatt in Hasluck was the best candidate, no interference from State Council, simply the best candidate, and just the way it should be - merit based. good luck to him.

A dog would have won for the tories in QLD.I wouldnt get carried away by having a wet behind the ears 20 year old kid representing me. Any case not matter who forms the Govt we will be back at the polls within 18 months. If Abbott/Qld fluke this election and form a minority govt from next year when the Greens hold the balance of power in the Senate with Labor the Libs will get nothing through and the country will be the ultimate loser The way the independents are talking I dont think they will go with the LNP.

Wyatt is a quality candidate, i really look forward to what he has to say about Indigenious Affairs.

It might be seen as "token" but if the Libs form government i would put him straight into the indigenious affairs ministry, the guy seriously knows his stuff, and his views are excellent, with his pragmatic approach to aboriginal welfare i think this guy could seriously do some good.:thumbsu:

amazing we have Muslimn MP from Labor

Good to see some diversity in Politicians
That's playing to a demographic that's the ALP's anyway - any use of said MP is going to be preaching to the converted. The Wyatt's, if used smartly by the Coalition can cut somewhat into what are ALP strengths. Certainly not any huge gains, but if yesterday has shown anything, even a tiny change could be the difference between a win and loss next time around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back