Your Favorite Football Australia Moments

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Has been a bit quite around here lately so I have decide to start a thread so we can share our favorite football Australia moments. Could be anything from our Australian national teams Socceroos, Matildas, Olyroos etc.. to the A-League and the old NSL. Goals, matches, controversial decisions whatever share your favorite moments.

for me on a national scale I can't go past Harry Kewell's goal against Croatia at the 2006 World Cup! just the sheer importance of the moment and ecstasy felt straight after the goal and the match knowing it put us through to the second round. I can remember just jumping for joy being so proud wearing my Socceroos Jersey and scarf to work that day!

On a Domestic League scale the 2015 Grand Final was one of the most unique sporting experiences I have had the pleasure to attend and not just due to the result. Close to 30K fans packed in a boutique stadium all hardcore fans and members. The roar of the crowd when Berisha scored that first goal let me tell ya it felt more like I was at the G' with close to 100K screaming and cheering fans! The whole day was just special. The walk to the ground, the atmosphere created by both sets of fans Victory and the visiting SydneyFC and of course the result :). Which just made it one of the most sweaters satisfying days I have experience at a sporting event.

It was probably the A-league at its most highest status in its 15 year history showing what it can be when it all clicks.

So if you have a moment please post and share..

Thankyou!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Great thread. I'm a bit of a aficionado on all things Australian football.

Teams supported:

Gippsland Falcons
Melbourne Victory
Sccceroos

Best moments:

Being at Aus vs Uruguay in 2005
Aus 3 Japan 1
MVFC 6 Adelaide 0 (lol)
Gippsland Falcons making the NSL finals
Experienced Aus vs Iran, Aus vs Uruguay heartbreak in 97/01, was also at Aus vs Argentina in 93 as a little kid.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
honestly, going to games in the sunny afternoons with whoever my best friends were at that time. having a few beers, hoping to get a few kisses later that night. that's what football in Australia means to me – when I don't let its headaches get to me.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Has been a bit quite around here lately so I have decide to start a thread so we can share our favorite football Australia moments. Could be anything from our Australian national teams Socceroos, Matildas, Olyroos etc.. to the A-League and the old NSL. Goals, matches, controversial decisions whatever share your favorite moments.

for me on a national scale I can't go past Harry Kewell's goal against Croatia at the 2006 World Cup! just the sheer importance of the moment and ecstasy felt straight after the goal and the match knowing it put us through to the second round. I can remember just jumping for joy being so proud wearing my Socceroos Jersey and scarf to work that day!

On a Domestic League scale the 2015 Grand Final was one of the most unique sporting experiences I have had the pleasure to attend and not just due to the result. Close to 30K fans packed in a boutique stadium all hardcore fans and members. The roar of the crowd when Berisha scored that first goal let me tell ya it felt more like I was at the G' with close to 100K screaming and cheering fans! The whole day was just special. The walk to the ground, the atmosphere created by both sets of fans Victory and the visiting SydneyFC and of course the result :). Which just made it one of the most sweaters satisfying days I have experience at a sporting event.

It was probably the A-league at its most highest status in its 15 year history showing what it can be when it all clicks.

So if you have a moment please post and share..

Thankyou!

Do you remember the end of that final group game against Croatia when Harry scored again in stoppage time (I think it was raining as well at the end) only for the ref to blow the whistle for full time? I was going off my handle even though a draw was enough to go through to the knockout stage. 😂

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Do you remember the end of that final group game against Croatia when Harry scored again in stoppage time (I think it was raining as well at the end) only for the ref to blow the whistle for full time? I was going off my handle even though a draw was enough to go through to the knockout stage. 😂

Yeah It was Aloisi that scored but Graham Poll strangely blew the whistle right as Alosi took the shot so he did not allow it denying us a second World Cup win! That was one bizzare match. the Kalic blunder, the three yellow cards to Simunic, the Croatian Coach going off on the sideline, that ending. Just Brilliant!!

I read somewhere had we lost the match Australia would have had the right to appeal for a match replay due to the incorrect three yellow cards before Simunic was sent off! Luckily it didn't come to that.

Last edited:

Minz

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens
Yeah It was Alosi that scored but Graham Poll strangely blew the whistle right as Alosi took the shot so he did not allow it denying us a second World Cup win! That was one bizzare match. the Kalic blunder, the three yellow cards to Simunic, the Croatian Coach going off on the sideline, that ending. Just Brilliant!!

I read somewhere had we lost the match Australia would have had the right to appeal for a match replay due to the incorrect three yellow cards before Simunic was sent off! Luckily it didn't come to that.

Watching the replay on SBS, that list of bizarre moments from this match misses a blatant deliberate fist on ball in the penalty zone by a Croatian defender who’d already incorrectly not been carded for a previous handball (that was awarded a penalty), and Emerton being getting a second yellow card for an accidental handball well away from the penalty area. Graeme Poll lost his mind that game (and his international refereeing career).

One of the games that always comes to mind, despite the fact we didn't win it, was at the 2016 Olympics.

It's only 4 years later, but with stars like Sam Kerr and with good performances at international level, I think people take for granted that the Matildas are now mainstream. I think our women's cricket team have probably gone past them in terms of profile, and I think the AFLW is going past them as well - but this was a watershed moment. If you were going to pinpoint one moment at which women's sport started to break through that mainstream glass ceiling, I think it'd be the game vs Brazil.

It didn't matter that it finished nil-all. It didn't matter that we lost. It was one of those moments in the middle of winter in the middle of a quiet Saturday, where I seem to remember that (in Melbourne at least) the weather was miserable and everyone was at home. We should've won - we, little old Australia, dominated ******* Brazil on their home turf, and I think a lot of casuals started to take the Matildas more seriously after that.

Sth Melb Hellas

Senior List
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Ned Zelic. There's been a few great goals from Ned, laconically strolling in from the midfield to strike a cannon past the keeper but his greatest goal was against Holland for the right to go to the Barcelona Olympics. We won Oceania and FIFA then gave us the privilege of playing off against a UEFA side for a spot. The Dutch finished 6th in Euro U21s and so we got to play them. We drew 1-1 at home and then headed to Utrech for the return. 2-1 down with 2 minutes to go in extra time..........Sitting here now I still don't know how he scored it. What a *ing goal. I woke alot of people that night.

Charlie Yankos. Bicentennial time. so the ASF organised Gold Cup to take place between Argentina, Brazil and the Saudis. We're playing the Argies in Sydney and s**t we're 1-0 up after a few minutes, last 30 mins before we concede to make it 1-1. Just before the half we win a free kick. Now I'll say it was 35 metres out, Yankos strikes it and it goes left, then right and left again leaving the Argie goalkeeper dumfounded. We go on to win 4-1, everyone gets on the piss and Frank Arok is a legend. RIP.

Ned Zelic. There's been a few great goals from Ned, laconically strolling in from the midfield to strike a cannon past the keeper but his greatest goal was against Holland for the right to go to the Barcelona Olympics. We won Oceania and FIFA then gave us the privilege of playing off against a UEFA side for a spot. The Dutch finished 6th in Euro U21s and so we got to play them. We drew 1-1 at home and then headed to Utrech for the return. 2-1 down with 2 minutes to go in extra time..........Sitting here now I still don't know how he scored it. What a f*n goal. I woke alot of people that night.

It's such a shame he's a garbage human :(

burge13

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 25, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tim Cahills volley at the Brazil WC. I was there, at the other end of the ground. Incredible scenes
Asian Cup final v South Korea. Game had everything, extra time just made it all the more remarkable. Shame it was in Sydney and nanny state lockout laws prevented any celebration but doesn't matter now.
Obviously the Aloisi penalty too.
Not much beats international soccer for mine. I'd take a half-decent WC run over a Crows premiership. Pubs packed at 3am to watch also suggests Socceroos popularity. That doesn't seem to translate to national league though

From a national league perspective, beating WSW at Adelaide Oval in front of 50,000 people. Great atmosphere. Though it really sums up soccer in this country that you get 50k to that, awesome game/atmosphere then next season we can't sell Hindmarsh out as per normal. Just never seem to grip the general public for whatever reason and that goes for all teams other than probably MV...

I went with my then girlfriend (now my wife) and her family to see Spain v Chile in the 2000 Olympics at the MCG. A touch under 60,000 people at the MCG all chanting for the two teams. Zamorano played for Chile, at the height of his pomp. Amazing atmosphere and Chile win 3-1.

The Matilda's coming back from from 2-0 down against Brazil in the 2019 World Cup to win 3-2 when a loss would have eliminated the Matildas from progressing to the knock out phase.

Aloisi slotting home the winning penalty to secure qualification to the 2006 World Cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sth Melb Hellas

Senior List
Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I went with my then girlfriend (now my wife) and her family to see Spain v Chile in the 2000 Olympics at the MCG. A touch under 60,000 people at the MCG all chanting for the two teams. Zamorano played for Chile, at the height of his pomp. Amazing atmosphere and Chile win 3-1.

I can still remember a game at Oly Park Vs Chile, probably late 90s and they made a lot of noise. I remember thinking * this is shite. We're home and all you hear is Chile, Chile, Chile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back