Your three favourite opposition teams

What are your Top 3 opposition teams (discuss reasons)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

opposition teams who I somewhat like or go for when they are not playing Richmond:
Bulldogs
Brisbane
Sydney
GWS
Fremantle

Don't care either way:
Saints
Port Adelaide
Kangaroos
West Coast
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Gold Coast

Teams I somewhat dislike:
Geelong
Melbourne

Teams who I always want to see lose:
Collingwood
Essendon
Carlton

I'm not sure 'like' is the appropriate term, because let's face it, they're all opposition and each one would try and stop my team from winning a flag.

Having said that;

GWS: This one is easy. Whereas Gold Coast completely neglected the 'culture' aspect of its club build by appointing people that had no idea how to build a club, and placing a player who is one of the best I've ever seen, yet one of the worst leaders, as captain - GWS went a different route by appointing Kevin Sheedy early.

Much of the criticism regarded the game being 'past' Sheedy, which of course was true, and also entirely irrelevant. GWS were never winning games during his tenure, but what he DID do was put the first big rocks down in terms of culture building. That GWS aren't a basket case like Gold Coast is entirely on Sheedy, and being that he's probably the most revered coach in Essendon's history, liking GWS is easy.

Brisbane: It's funny, because I hated Brisbane in the early 2000's, mainly because they owned our arses for years. But after watching how difficult it was for them to retain players, and their consistent insular approach to football department people, when they finally started doing things differently by appointing Fagan, it's made them fun to watch. It's a slow burn, but they now have a plethora of young talent, established players wanting to go there, and a brand of footy that is a joy to watch.

North: I ummed and ahhed over this one, primarily because North have some of the dumbest, most deluded flogs supporting them - truly some of the more daft, uninspired cretins you will ever come across.

BUT, the club itself is worth respecting. One of the major criticisms I leveled at North for a long time was their pathetic victim mentality. Everything was always against them, their plight was always someone elses fault. However once the Brayshaw's got in, and their subsequent appointments, they've become a club that does stand on its own convictions and has worked hard to establish itself. The lack of pokies is a great point of difference, and the efforts they went through to fundraise for their new facility were admirable. They don't act like victims anymore, and I like the audacity in chasing the biggest fish in the game, even if they fail more often than not.

North: I ummed and ahhed over this one, primarily because North have some of the dumbest, most deluded flogs supporting them - truly some of the more daft, uninspired cretins you will ever come across.

BUT, the club itself is worth respecting. One of the major criticisms I leveled at North for a long time was their pathetic victim mentality. Everything was always against them, their plight was always someone elses fault. However once the Brayshaw's got in, and their subsequent appointments, they've become a club that does stand on its own convictions and has worked hard to establish itself. The lack of pokies is a great point of difference, and the efforts they went through to fundraise for their new facility were admirable. They don't act like victims anymore, and I like the audacity in chasing the biggest fish in the game, even if they fail more often than not.
You sir, haven now gone up a level in my book.

You're now at level 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Saints - Really liked the Ross Lyon era, Riewoldt, Goddard, Dal, etc.
2. Fremantle - Want them to not be a failure
3. West Coast - A better Adelaide Crows, lots of respect.
Your choice of teams is interesting given the Saints’ history with Freo and Freo’s history with us haha .

As I said earlier in this thread ,I consider the crows the SA equivalent of the eagles so the respect is mutual as far as Radelaide goes :)

Sydney - Club I first supported as a kid. Forgot about them as soon as the Dockers formed. Still have a soft spot though.
St Kilda - Use to love everything Tony Lockett. Then he went to Sydney. See above.
Gold Coast - Would love to to see them do well. Underdog thing.

Everyone loves Brisbane apparently. They are a rather likeable team, sort of like a Labrador puppy.
Probably true for most people . On the other hand, I have always liked them. They were easily the most likeable of the 3-peat teams to me. I have fond memories of my own team’s midfield battles against them, and had a thing for Simon Black back in the day ☺️ . If Brisbane had an ex-Eagle coaching them (like my other 2 favourite opposition teams) they’d be even higher .

Melbourne & Brisbane

The 3rd spot is usually saved depending on how I feel at the time.

Right now it's West Coast for making Collingwood lose another Grand Final … thankyou West Coast

Probably true for most people . On the other hand, I have always liked them. They were easily the most likeable of the 3-peat teams to me. I have fond memories of my own team’s midfield battles against them, and had a thing for Simon Black back in the day ☺️ . If Brisbane had an ex-Eagle coaching them (like my other 2 favourite opposition teams) they’d be even higher .

Do you like Sydney?

1547395232654.png

Doggies, as I'm from the west of Melbourne.

Every other team can GAGF.

Differs every year. Love WCE, but this year however besides the Catters I'll be gunning for the Magpies as I want them to taste success after such a heart breaking defeat, yet still an exceptional finals campaign.

Melbourne. I think they're cherry ripe for a serious finals assault this year, and will unleash on the back of a good crack last year. I like the Dees and they're going to be around the mark for years to come.

Brizzy Lions. A young squad looking ready to take the next step and should propel up the ladder as they seek to make the Gabba a fortress yet again.

Hawthorn. That's right, the Hawkers. Love the recruits they picked up in the off season and now after losing 2018's best player have an almighty fight on their hands, but one in which I think they'll answer.

There's four. ish.

Crows, Geelong, Fremantle, Lions

Really respect how the former two clubs operate, the players that wear the jumper reflect their great cultures

Fremantle for being the far more palatable club over here, have a spirit and character, unlike the sickly corporate abomination across the road.

Was going to take offence, but then at least corporate types can count.

I'm not sure 'like' is the appropriate term, because let's face it, they're all opposition and each one would try and stop my team from winning a flag.

Having said that;

GWS: This one is easy. Whereas Gold Coast completely neglected the 'culture' aspect of its club build by appointing people that had no idea how to build a club, and placing a player who is one of the best I've ever seen, yet one of the worst leaders, as captain - GWS went a different route by appointing Kevin Sheedy early.

Much of the criticism regarded the game being 'past' Sheedy, which of course was true, and also entirely irrelevant. GWS were never winning games during his tenure, but what he DID do was put the first big rocks down in terms of culture building. That GWS aren't a basket case like Gold Coast is entirely on Sheedy, and being that he's probably the most revered coach in Essendon's history, liking GWS is easy.

Brisbane: It's funny, because I hated Brisbane in the early 2000's, mainly because they owned our arses for years. But after watching how difficult it was for them to retain players, and their consistent insular approach to football department people, when they finally started doing things differently by appointing Fagan, it's made them fun to watch. It's a slow burn, but they now have a plethora of young talent, established players wanting to go there, and a brand of footy that is a joy to watch.

I think you're spot on with Sheeds. He knew his job and what it wasn't. He left the coaches box to Mark William's on game day, which seems wierd for a head coach. He focussed on culture and the big picture.
Hawthorn. That's right, the Hawkers. Love the recruits they picked up in the off season and now after losing 2018's best player have an almighty fight on their hands, but one in which I think they'll answer.

There's four. ish.

I agree. Metaphors are something that shouldn't oughta be mixed though.

Back