Gone Girl
Get Out
Brooklyn
The Revenant
Lincoln
Blue Jasmine
Call Me By Your Name
The Grand Budapest Hotel

Parasite just blew me away, Probably the best film i have ever seen and i dont think thats recency bias. Have already seen it 4 times
Whiplash
The Big Short
American Honey/The Florida Project (both similar films and cant split them)
MoneyBall
Social Network
21 Jump Street
Pitch Perfect (yes i know.. but my god its enjoyable despite the presence of Rebel Wilson)
Ex Machina
The Nice Guys

2 worst films that got good reviews Baby Driver and Birdman. i HATED both films and generally dont hate anything

One from left field that no one else has mentioned.

The Gift from 2015 starring Joel Edgerton and Jason Bateman, genuine edge of your seat thriller.

Best thriller I've seen at the cinema since The Sixth Sense, I don't get out that much though.

My other favourite film I saw at the cinema in the past decade.

Most sequels and reboots are a let down but Fury Road took Mad Max to another level.

Best film of the decade for mine, it's a masterpiece, a triumph, deserved all the Oscars it got.

85f100bad7a054cab92a138b190f908b.jpeg

A Serbian Film is a bit of a drama equivalent of Freddy Got Fingered. Not really a top film of the decade but one I'll never forget watching.

Feel pretty steady about the top 10 here (11-20 are fairly interchangeable) and feel like the only changes I'd make 5 years from now would be to add new films I haven't seen yet - of which there are plenty. Some films grew in estimation over the years, some fell. Gonna just put that to getting older.

1. The Master
2. The Lost City of Z
3. Burning
4. Sicario
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
6. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
7. The Social Network
8. Minding the Gap
9. A Separation
10. Mad Max: Fury Road

11. Phantom Thread
12. Silence
13. The Handmaiden
14. Incendies
15. Her
16. Parasite
17. Moonlight
18. Before Midnight
19. Whiplash
20. Phoenix

Parasite just blew me away, Probably the best film i have ever seen and i dont think thats recency bias. Have already seen it 4 times
Whiplash
The Big Short
American Honey/The Florida Project (both similar films and cant split them)
MoneyBall
Social Network
21 Jump Street
Pitch Perfect (yes i know.. but my god its enjoyable despite the presence of Rebel Wilson)
Ex Machina
The Nice Guys

2 worst films that got good reviews Baby Driver and Birdman. i HATED both films and generally dont hate anything

Dw about it- i had Me Before You in my list- hardly an Oscar winner, but i loved it and is probably easily my "most watched" film on my top 10 list.

As for Baby Driver, man that is a weird one. I absolutely loved it when i saw it at the cinema. Watched it again on TV- hated it. Birdman i heard what it was about and avoided at all costs. ;)

1. Birdman (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
2. Blue is the Warmest Color
3. Only God Forgives
4. The Lighthouse (only watched this last week and was absolutely blown away by it, it could go higher on this list after a few more viewings)
5. Sorry To Bother You
6. A Separation
7. The Rider
8. Midsommar
9. Inception
=10. Grand Budapest Hotel
=10. What We Do in the Shadows

I loved this film up until the twist. It's still a great film, but I think it was unnecessary and added an unrealistic feel to other wise grounded cautionary tale that could have got to the same conclusion without being so outlandish.

I loved this film up until the twist. It's still a great film, but I think it was unnecessary and added an unrealistic feel to other wise grounded cautionary tale that could have got to the same conclusion without being so outlandish.
[/QUOTE
I didnt find it outlandish but I was so invested in the film I didnt think of it that way.

1. Arrival
2. Sicario
3. Sing Street
4. Gone Girl
5. About Time
6. Avengers Endgame
7. Don Jon
8. The Accountant
9. Nightcrawler
10. The Social Network

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't think the last decade was particularly good for film (or music), but there were some films I enjoyed.

1. Mad Max: Fury Road - The only film I would give 5 stars.
2. Gravity
3. Ex Machina
4. Hidden Figures
5. First Man
6. The Shape Of Water
7. Animal Kingdon
8. Wonder Woman
9. Stoker
10. Young and Beautiful

Not in order my best films of the decade are

2010 The cabin in the woods
2011 Super8
2012 The Master
2013 The Wolf of Wall street
2014 Nightcrawler
2015 The Assassin
2016 Hell or high Water
2017 Logan
2018 A quite Place
2019 Rise of Skywalker
Honorable Meation: The Nightingale

Last edited:
No order.

Wolf Creek 2
Deadpool
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
The Dark Knight Rises
Hacksaw Ridge
Rambo: Last Blood
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Django Unchained
Avengers: Infinity War
Joker

* I forgot John Wick 1-3.

Really liked Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther, too.

Something like this
1. Sicario
2. Fury
3. Shutter island
4. Warrior
5. Girl with the dragon tattoo
6. Boyhood
7. Inception

honestly all I can think of. Pretty subjective. Early 90’s - early 00’s had the best movies IMO

I don't know who Leigh Paatsch is, but his top 30 of the decade just appeared on the Herald Sun website. Is it just me or does this list, particularly the top 10, look 'meh'?

30. THE LEGO MOVIE (2014)
29. MONEYBALL (2011)
28. 12 YEARS A SLAVE (2014)
27. FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD (2015)
26. HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE (2016)
25. ISLE OF DOGS (2018)
24. WHIPLASH (2014)
23. MOONLIGHT (2017)
22. HELL OR HIGH WATER (2016)
21. HEREDITARY (2018)
20. THE TREE OF LIFE (2011)
19. MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (2017)
18. BRIDESMAIDS (2011)
17. SICARIO (2015)
16. CALL ME BY YOUR NAME (2017)
15. ANIMAL KINGDOM (2010)
14. LA LA LAND (2016)
13. ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD (2019)
12. JOKER (2019)
11. INSIDE OUT (2015)
10. A STAR IS BORN (2018)
9. THE IRISHMAN (2019)
8. SENNA (2011)
7. SWEET COUNTRY (2018)
6. GET OUT (2017)
5. GRAVITY (2013)
4. THE SOCIAL NETWORK (2010)
3. THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)
2. DUNKIRK (2017)
1. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

I think it's a justifiable list, if maybe a bit safe. Quite a few amazing movies there IMO and the ones that I don't necessarily agree with have been a lot of the same movies have been people's favorites here or around the traps.

It's hilarious how polarising Fury Road is. Can't think of a more polarising movie in recent times.

I enjoyed Get Out but it's pretty overrated. Doctor Sleep, Hereditary, Mama, The Babadook and Lights Out were better horrors from the 10s.
I don't think any of those had the social impact/commentary that Get Out had. I think if you look at it simply as a horror film then yes it would come up short for that genre. It was a lot more than that though.

Feel pretty steady about the top 10 here (11-20 are fairly interchangeable) and feel like the only changes I'd make 5 years from now would be to add new films I haven't seen yet - of which there are plenty. Some films grew in estimation over the years, some fell. Gonna just put that to getting older.

1. The Master
2. The Lost City of Z
3. Burning
4. Sicario
5. Inside Llewyn Davis
6. Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
7. The Social Network
8. Minding the Gap
9. A Separation
10. Mad Max: Fury Road

11. Phantom Thread
12. Silence
13. The Handmaiden
14. Incendies
15. Her
16. Parasite
17. Moonlight
18. Before Midnight
19. Whiplash
20. Phoenix

Thanks for reminding me I still need to see A Separation, Minding the Gap and The Master.

I really enjoyed The Lost City of Z, even if I didn't think it was that amazing in terms of film making, acting or story. Still, it's underrated... or maybe under exposed. I love anything to do with the Amazon. For another Amazon film, have you seen Embrace of the Serpent? I liked that one more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back