Your upcoming gigs

Remove this Banner Ad

Seeing Dinosaur Jr at the Croxton on Saturday night. I've only been to the Croxton once, and that was for a tiny gig (Babaganouj), and even then it felt like a tiny room. It's going to be very, very loud in there.

The Laneway lineup grew on me and I ended up getting a ticket, really looking forward to it. I think its the first music festival I've been to since last year's Laneway.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
took the gf to jimmy eat world on saturday. not my thing but very polished sound live & put on a good show.

trophy eyes supported & were pretty dissapointing. mixing was absolute crap the first couple of songs and i know thats not their fault but they have a long way to go to be a good live band.

Was amazing. If at all possible Polly Jean is getting better with age.

Played the whole "Hope 6..." album I think and some greatest hits.

Xylouris White supporting were awesome. Jim White is a freak.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Turns out I'm an idiot and the Croxton have a second, giant bandroom behind a door.

Still, can't hear a ******* thing today.
I was going to say...

I went to the Croxton recently and imagined it was a small, dingy, low ceilinged shithole but I was - still am - surprised at how much I liked the place. I swear 1200 people were in there because it very much felt way bigger than the Corner but nearly as big as something like The Forum. Lots of ways, it reminded me of Festival Hall - old, long stage, wide crowd area, and a few *heads in the crowd.

Surprised they could fit in a tiny other band room.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Was amazing. If at all possible Polly Jean is getting better with age.

Played the whole "Hope 6..." album I think and some greatest hits.

Xylouris White supporting were awesome. Jim White is a freak.

I had a chat with Jim White after the Perth gig. He was in a good mood posing for photos. You are right. He is incredible.

Last edited:

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
took the gf to jimmy eat world on saturday. not my thing but very polished sound live & put on a good show.

trophy eyes supported & were pretty dissapointing. mixing was absolute crap the first couple of songs and i know thats not their fault but they have a long way to go to be a good live band.
Surprising. I saw them a week or so ago at Unify and they were really enjoyable. But I'm a fan and it might have had a lot to do with the fact that a majority of the surprisingly large crowd knew their material well.

I was going to say...

I went to the Croxton recently and imagined it was a small, dingy, low ceilinged shithole but I was - still am - surprised at how much I liked the place. I swear 1200 people were in there because it very much felt way bigger than the Corner but nearly as big as something like The Forum. Lots of ways, it reminded me of Festival Hall - old, long stage, wide crowd area, and a few ****heads in the crowd.

Surprised they could fit in a tiny other band room.

It feels like the first purpose built live music venue to pop up since I turned 18. Melbourne's been a bit short on medium-large sized venues since the Palace Theatre closed and the Espy disappeared, and if it means less gigs at Festy Hall it can only be a good thing.

Shame it's in a ghost town, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It feels like the first purpose built live music venue to pop up since I turned 18. Melbourne's been a bit short on medium-large sized venues since the Palace Theatre closed and the Espy disappeared, and if it means less gigs at Festy Hall it can only be a good thing.

Shame it's in a ghost town, though.
When I went for Jamie T there were a fair few people around. There was a food truck thing on that I could only call a jamboree. It's not the prettiest part of town and feels more Preston than Northcote (that's perhaps the wankiest thing I've said) but we walked home basically from there and Northcote is like a four minute walk away. If you had an arvo to kill you could have a few beers at the Northcote Social Club then walk up.

I feel like there's room for someone to buy an old nice Victorian theatre and reimagine it as a venue for not just bands, but films and other events. There's a great old place near North Melbourne, across from the Errol and something else juncture. Would be a great venue.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would be so good to be a millionaire and do what you described Silent Alarm. It would be a dream to re-do and renovate a cool old joint and make something of it.
I'd buy this place, love walking past it.

NINI+PHOTO+2012+(126)+(1).jpg

I can't find any information on what it used to be, but it's right near the intersection of Victoria and King Street, and Errol. It looks like those classic old theatres but these days it holds old timey weddings and big wog weddings. It goes pretty far back so you could definitely fit around 1000 people in there which is a prime number these days. Actually it's always been a prime number... ideal number for bands...

The good thing is it's a two minute walk from the 57 or even not far by foot from the CBD. North Melbourne station is nearby which means western suburbs kids can find it easy, and it's only a change away from Southern Cross (15 by foot if you're brisk). I do love how that corner of the city is yet to be totally overturned by trendies, it's still very much a village or country town feel. Maybe a venue of this ilk could wreck that. But I think it'd be a ripping venue. There's an old firestation around that area too, plenty of facades (old pubs, meatworks, now apartments and houses) 'round there too.

Surely if you get a good name and pull names like Jamie xx for a few nights, Real Estate, one-album but popular bands, you could make a ripping night of it. Do that for a few years and sell it off and you wouldn't be losing.

St Kilda is another area underused. A little unfortunate considering its legacy in Aussie music. I've only ever seen one act in that suburb and I go to a relative amount of gigs... and that was an international, not the local guitar bands that would've been there in the day.

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
Like I said in the Springsteen thread went to see him last night. Glad I went even not being a massive fan as it was a fantastic gig. The final 30-45 minutes with the lights on is exceptional.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Surprising. I saw them a week or so ago at Unify and they were really enjoyable. But I'm a fan and it might have had a lot to do with the fact that a majority of the surprisingly large crowd knew their material well.
Don't get me wrong I am a fan. There was maybe 50 people watching tho lol so no atmosphere and as i said the mixing was atrocious.
Just thought they'd be a bit better

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Saw Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band last night and they were magnificent. Bruce builds momentum and controls the tempo of a gig as well as anybody. The band are tight and swinging. There is a great feeling of being part of something special at a Springsteen gig and he delivered in spades last night.

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
Laneway toady. Really looking forward to Koi Child, King Gizz and the loop kings and queens, D.D Dumbo and Tash Sultana

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Uhh sort of, I was right up the back. Was that you? Looked like Adam Zampa
Yeah that was me.

That was an awesome show, they were really tight and everything was smooth. I liked the way they showed some personality - Julian restarting songs or giving up his frontman decadence and ego was funny.

I ended up hanging out with Max and Julian a fair bit, I have the former's number and the latter was a really sweet dude who came down and had a beer and a smoke with my mate and my girlfriend for a good 20 minutes. Also ended up backstage and a member of Whitney said I was 'in the band.' Pretty cool night. Very cool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back