Remove this Banner Ad

Vendrell

All Australian
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Live on FuelTV Monday at 12pm.

MAIN CARD
-Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko: Bones comfortably via TKO. I think he should face a top guy after this followed by a number 1 contender fight. Did anyone see him on MMA Live a few weeks ago? Geez he's everything the UFC could want in a champ - intelligent, well spoken, good sense of humour and potential sex symbol.
-Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami: My head says Okami but I've got a feeling about Munoz and his heavy hands. The problem with Munoz is that he gets a bit wreckless and wild so is in danger of getting caught. Munoz TKO.
-Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard: Ellenberger to finish it with some ground and pound.
-Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin: I see Griffin having the better cardio and gameplan to get a decision.

PRELIMINARY CARD
-Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann: Decision
-DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle: Johnson has shown improvement since TUF but I'm a Riddle fan and think he'll wrestle his way to a decision.
-James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac: Both guys are fighting to save their UFC careers and I think Irvin's got the chance for a one punch KO.
-Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann: Massenzio's been away far too long. Stann by decision.
-Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira: Apparently Oliveira's got a great bjj game so I take him by sub.
-Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss: No idea.

Found the Jon Jones interview. I like the way him and Bonnar joke around. All class by both guys. Unbelievable that Jones's brothers are top footballers as well.

[youtube]UhULtNny3iQ[/youtube]

MAIN CARD
-Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko: Danger fight for Jones. He should win it comfortably but against someone most people don't know, he doesn't gain much in doing so. I like that they're building him slowly though and not giving him big fights too soon and potentially derailing his career, as most people (eg Vendrell) want the UFC to do. I know at least Magnum agrees with me on this issue. TKO round 2.
-Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami: Agree about Munoz' heavy hands, but this should be all Okami. Decision
-Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard: I'll go the opposite to Vendrell, Howard TKO.
-Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin: Based on what we saw against Florian, this is an easy win for Griffin. But I still hold some hope that Gomi isn't done yet. Still, decision.

PRELIMINARY CARD
-Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann: Decision
-DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle: As much as I don't like him, Johnson looks to be heading the right way. Sub round 2.
-James Irvinvs. Igor Pokrajac: Irvin's power should be too much. KO round 1
-Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann: Stann's the kind of guy who beats everyone around his level. Be interesting to see how he goes at middleweight. TKO round 3.
-Darren Elkins vs. Charles Oliveira: Interesting fight. Oliveira to get a ground stoppage, probably sub, rd 2.
-Rob Kimmons vs. Steve Steinbeiss: A massive nothing fight. These are usually great fights though.

Is this on Fuel TV?

If Jones keeps winning then his career won't get derailed. He's had 11 fights. This will be his 6th in the UFC. I don't see anything wrong with him having a number 1 contender fight with his 8th UFC fight. If he beats Matyushenko easily then he should fight a Lil Nog / Forrest / Rampage. If he wins that fight, it's possible that he faces Rashad / Machida / Shogun to determine the number 1 contender (I put Shogun in because he might not be champion then).

That would make Jones 13-1 with his last couple of fights against top guys which is about right for a title shot. Carwin got a shot at 12-0, Machida was 14-0, Evans 12-1-0. Velasquez is 8-0 and he's fighting for the belt!

Bader's in a similar position to Jones and his next fight is Lil Nog. 11 fights, 4 in the UFC. If Bader wins you'd expect him to be 2-3 fights from a title shot as well.

What are these kind of nights? Just other scheduled UFC fight nights, but not the main ones?

It's pretty much a fight night in all but name. It's because it's on a different network in the states that it's called "ufc on versus" and not "fight night"

What are these kind of nights? Just other scheduled UFC fight nights, but not the main ones?

To expand on what FG said above, they are non-ppv fights shown on a regular cable channel called Versus. The shitty thing about them is you have to put up with all the adverts :mad:

If Jones keeps winning then his career won't get derailed. He's had 11 fights. This will be his 6th in the UFC. I don't see anything wrong with him having a number 1 contender fight with his 8th UFC fight. If he beats Matyushenko easily then he should fight a Lil Nog / Forrest / Rampage. If he wins that fight, it's possible that he faces Rashad / Machida / Shogun to determine the number 1 contender (I put Shogun in because he might not be champion then).

That would make Jones 13-1 with his last couple of fights against top guys which is about right for a title shot. Carwin got a shot at 12-0, Machida was 14-0, Evans 12-1-0. Velasquez is 8-0 and he's fighting for the belt!

Bader's in a similar position to Jones and his next fight is Lil Nog. 11 fights, 4 in the UFC. If Bader wins you'd expect him to be 2-3 fights from a title shot as well.
I'm OK with him taking on Forrest next, then possibly a number one contender fight. He's just so young and has so much development left that I'd like to see him take it slow.

Thing is if he keeps filling out like he has over the last couple of years then he'll be fighting at HW within 2-3 years. Give him another couple of fights against top tier opposition (ie Forrest/Rampage/Lil Nog/Franklin) then a title shot within 12 months at LHW (ie Shogun/Evans/Machida), before the cut to 205 potentially becomes an issue.

Just a late heads up, this is airing live at 11:00am on Fuel, not at midday.

My quick picks:

Jones by decision, Vladdy is a tough veteran, probably too slow now to hang with Bones though
Okami by decision, he looked fantastic against Linhares earlier this year, wouldn't surprise me if he manages to put Munoz away
Ellenberger by TKO, Howard's 4-0 record in the UFC is somewhat flattering, two razor-close split decisions and a KO with seconds left in a fight he was going to lose, Ellenberger hits like a truck too and should put him away in the first
Griffin by decision, hopefully Gomi shows something

Volkmann by decision
Johnson by decision
Irvin by TKO
Massenzio by sub
Oliveira by sub
Kimmons by TKO

MAIN CARD
-Jon Jones vs. Vladimir Matyushenko: Never heard of the Russian so couldn't possibly go against Jones.
-Mark Munoz vs. Yushin Okami: If Okami can get back to being the fighter he was, he'll win this for sure. By sub.
-Jake Ellenberger vs. John Howard: What's our former PM doing in MMA? :p Ellenberger by KO.
-Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin: Gomi was awful in his first fight so have to tip the always entertaining Griffin. By sub.

PRELIMINARY CARD
-Paul Kelly vs. Jacob Volkmann: Although I don't think Volkmann's won a UFC fight, he's actually quite impressed me and should get the decision here.
-DaMarques Johnson vs. Matthew Riddle: Johnson by TKO. Unfortunately.
-James Irvin vs. Igor Pokrajac: Irvin to save his career.
-Mike Massenzio vs. Brian Stann: Massenzio's been away far too long. Stann by decision.

Pretty good card on paper I think! I'll be watching the replay at 6pm AWST.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a good little show.

Gomi opened with a bang by making Griffin do his best Ric Flair faceplant impression. Poor sportsmanship shown by Tyson after the fight too, **** him. Howard's eye was nasty, good stoppage there. Very slick triangle/arm-bar by Oliveira. For a second there I thought Okami was about to get robbed, *ed split decision. And then Jones finished the show with a ****ing clinic on how to throw some elbows from the top.

As if that Bones performance didn't impress you enough, he finishes with an Anchorman quote! But seriously he didn't even break a sweat. Takedown was easy, side control was easy, straight to a crucifix and finishes with a flurry of elbows.

Okami looked really good and had the perfect gameplan. It was an entertaining fight with Munoz dishing out some damage too but I think he went for too many takedowns and gassed a bit after he tried to finish Okami in the 2nd.

Ellenberger vs Howard was a great fight. Both guys impressed.

The Fireball Kid is back! I liked what he said about understanding the American way of fighting. Looks like he's taken a more professional approach to his training.

Oliviera's jits was sick. The hype looks justified on him so far (all from that 1 minute we saw :rolleyes:)

Overall a pretty good card.

Matyushenko is a strong, tough guy and Bones made him look like a bum. That was just ridiculously easy. Did the same thing with Vera last Versus show. Reminded me of old WWF house shows in the 80s when blokes like Junkyard Dog used to demolish fall guy bums like Mario Mancini and AJ Petruzzi.

Time for Joe Silva to to throw a top tier LHW at Bones now. He is more than ready and if he dispatches them with similar ease then a title shot would be completely justified.

IMO the only bloke in the sport ATM with similar level of natural talent is Anderson Silva (ie freakish). What amazes me is the reach he has with elbows is almost the same as normal blokes have with punches. Wingspan almost as freakish as his talent.

I guess the only thing we don't know about him is if he has a chin.

Gomi is back baby, Ellenberger was very impressive and Oliveira's opponent obviously didn't do any homework whatsoever. Munoz looked impotent against an opponent with decent takedown defense, was genuinely surprised one judge gave him the decision.

OK I take it all back, Jones is ready for the next level. I think Griffen may even be too low for him. A Thiago Silva or Rampage fight would be great draws and you'd think those two could actually challenge the guy. Made Vlad look like a joke, which he is anything but.

Well I'm glad I still had hope in Gomi because he's definitely not done. He set Griffen up with some nice body shots then just went bang. From side on the hit looked crazy hard. Griffen's a dick and always has been, so that was a cool moment.

That Okami decision pissed me off. There's no way a judge could see rounds 1 or 3 not being won by Okami. So annoying.

A lot of sherdoggers seem to think Bones should fight the winner of Bader/Lil Nog or Thiago Silva which I wouldn't mind. Forrest is a long way from fighting and he'd probably run through Franklin. Some are saying the loser of Machida vs Rampage but I think that fight's too long a wait for Bones.

God damn 205 is stacked!

That Okami decision pissed me off. There's no way a judge could see rounds 1 or 3 not being won by Okami. So annoying.

I noticed "Sensei" Cecil Peoples sitting ringside during the fight...

rashadevanskobymachida.jpg

Being at work I haven't see the fights yet, but stoked Gomi won.

Hate to see guys often finally come in to the UFC but be past there prime and get beaten only for every newb to discredit their entire record because of it. Good to see at least Gomi has something in the tank, as Griffin has been a perennial contender. Perhaps Georgey has a date with Gomi now? Would make a great fight. Personally I hope they don't make that as I don't want either to lose.

Also heard the split decision was garbage.

Certainly Jones has to be up against a top 5 LHW now. He's monstered everyone in his path. This domination is very rare. I think Rich Franklin / Thiago Silva or winner of Nog/Bader would be a good fight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back