Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel Collingwood desperately need an inside mid with their second pick. We picked up Paine this year and will get Stewart next year. With J. Thomas not getting anywhere near AFL level with his injuries I think we just need to bite the bullet and get the best inside mid we can.

Can we account for this/do you agree?

With no disrespect Knighmare but I think your list will change particularly when the nationals begin!

My list will absolutely change. Significantly. At this stage it is mostly there for the purpose of getting some names out there and building some discussion. There is only so much I know now and there will be so much more I will learn about as the year progresses. Then there will be players who pop up from nowhere as happens every year. I would be very surprised if 20 of my current top 25 prospects are in my top 25 at the end of the year.

I feel Collingwood desperately need an inside mid with their second pick. We picked up Paine this year and will get Stewart next year. With J. Thomas not getting anywhere near AFL level with his injuries I think we just need to bite the bullet and get the best inside mid we can.

Can we account for this/do you agree?

Josh Thomas I really like, but as you have identified with the injuries he has had, he has an uphill battle ahead of him. But incredibly talented as a pure inside player and could be a very productive inside player at AFL level if he gets the chance and can stay healthy.
It does look like a make or break year for Josh, and if he can't get healthy and play 2-3 games then it likely is the end.

In the 2nd round (assuming we go Stewart 1st round - possible he slides to 2nd round and by no means is he a 1st round lock as Viney and Danniher are) I'm comfortable with best available at this stage. This might be in the form of an outside midfielder or inside midfielder which is probably the most likely outcome with allot of talent in this years midfield group in particular.

No midfield is ever too deep so I have no issues with adding more quality.

I'd love for a Troy Menzel, Rory Atkins or Jonothon O'Rouke to be available in the 2nd round.

My list will absolutely change. Significantly. At this stage it is mostly there for the purpose of getting some names out there and building some discussion. There is only so much I know now and there will be so much more I will learn about as the year progresses. Then there will be players who pop up from nowhere as happens every year. I would be very surprised if 20 of my current top 25 prospects are in my top 25 at the end of the year.

Josh Thomas I really like, but as you have identified with the injuries he has had, he has an uphill battle ahead of him. But incredibly talented as a pure inside player and could be a very productive inside player at AFL level if he gets the chance and can stay healthy.
It does look like a make or break year for Josh, and if he can't get healthy and play 2-3 games then it likely is the end.

In the 2nd round (assuming we go Stewart 1st round - possible he slides to 2nd round and by no means is he a 1st round lock as Viney and Danniher are) I'm comfortable with best available at this stage. This might be in the form of an outside midfielder or inside midfielder which is probably the most likely outcome with allot of talent in this years midfield group in particular.

No midfield is ever too deep so I have no issues with adding more quality.

I'd love for a Troy Menzel, Rory Atkins or Jonothon O'Rouke to be available in the 2nd round.

Great response.
Should have answered the questions of most of the punters out there with their favourite players/picks.
Keep up the great work.

Hey knightmare, is billy rolfe on your radar at all? Strong bodied midfielder with silky skills. I've heard alot of people saying he will be top15-20. Your thoughts?

Hey knightmare, is billy rolfe on your radar at all? Strong bodied midfielder with silky skills. I've heard alot of people saying he will be top15-20. Your thoughts?

Not sure I'd have Rolfe in my top 20 - just so much quality this year and not just from Victoria. But Rolfe is absolutely on my radar and is without a doubt one to watch out for this year.

Whitfield 16.4 beep test score at tac cup testing today

Not the first time Lachie has scored 16+. Absolutely incredible mental effort to score so highly. Respect.

Thoughts on Sean Lynch and Chase Strange mate? Any chance of being drafted?

Both played for WA last year during the carnival from memory as bottom aged players.

Thoughts on Sean Lynch and Chase Strange mate? Any chance of being drafted?

Both played for WA last year during the carnival from memory as bottom aged players.

Both have their fans and have been discussed and are on the watchlists of many scouts which is a good sign.

I'd like to see more of both before I make a judgement, but both in the mix. Right now have Lynch as more of a mid range selection, Strange more of a late-rookie.

Why isn't there enough talk on Nathan Hrovat? Is a gun inside midfielder, solid and strong player who can kick excellently on both fee. Or on that; only talk on Jake Stringer from Pioneers and Hunter from Jets, anyone else that catches an eye from from TAC cup sides?

Why isn't there enough talk on Nathan Hrovat? Is a gun inside midfielder, solid and strong player who can kick excellently on both fee. Or on that; only talk on Jake Stringer from Pioneers and Hunter from Jets, anyone else that catches an eye from from TAC cup sides?

Hrovat has been talked about. But at 174cm or thereabouts if the measurements I have listed are correct it is difficult to see Hrovat going super high.

Of the TAC guys outside of Stringer, Whitfield and Vlastuin are the high end ones to look out for.

Haynes and O'Rouke are also being talked up as other potentially high selections.

Hrovat's grown to almost Viney's height apparently (around 5'10"), I was talking to one of his teachers on Thursday.

Good to hear Hrovat is still growing. Will help his draft stocks if he can shoot up a couple of cm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Knightmare, great work as always. I was just wondering what type of player do you think the Hawks will look at drafting early this year? Obviously with a fairly strong list, there aren't too many holes. I noticed that with your current picks you have a couple of rucks going the next two picks after Hawthorn's first pick. Any chance we could pick up a young gun ruckman?

Hey Knightmare, great work as always. I was just wondering what type of player do you think the Hawks will look at drafting early this year? Obviously with a fairly strong list, there aren't too many holes. I noticed that with your current picks you have a couple of rucks going the next two picks after Hawthorn's first pick. Any chance we could pick up a young gun ruckman?

I like Hawthorn's list allot. I've always seen the ruck (as a position that has always been a weakness, really lacking that premiership ruckman) and key defence (lacking size) as the big holes, but these are hardly overnight fixes and can't be fixed immediately through the draft as these types take time to develop.

This year with some sensational talent available I'd go best available - most likely to be a midfielder with the sheer quantity of midfield quality in this years draft, but at the same time there will be some attractive KPPs + ruck prospects who could be available so it will be interesting to see what Hawthorn do early.

If looking for a ruckman. I like Myles Bolger late/rookie for the Hawks (very unlucky last year not to get drafted! Quality young talent and reminds me of a young Darren Jolly with his tap work. Just needs to get healthy and play a full season then he should find himself on an AFL list).

Also look out for Brodie Grundy (1st round) if his draft stocks fall, though at this early stage he looks like a top 10 selection.

Knightmare, how do you rate ruckmen Cam Symonds and Chad Sandilands from East Fremantle?

Cam has a lot to offer with his tap work and he is playing league football this year so he should get some exposure to AFL players and AFL workloads etc., and Sandilands has worked on his skills and could be the next Aaron.

Knightmare, how do you rate ruckmen Cam Symonds and Chad Sandilands from East Fremantle?

Cam has a lot to offer with his tap work and he is playing league football this year so he should get some exposure to AFL players and AFL workloads etc., and Sandilands has worked on his skills and could be the next Aaron.

Symonds is the better and more experienced player at this stage, but is those few years older. I don't have a super strong feel for his game so you are probably better off talking to some of the WA scouts who would have a stronger understanding of his game.

Chad isn't as tall as his brother. He is around 205cm if my measurements are correct. Very raw and work around the grounds needs significant work as was the case with Aaron at the same age. If he shows strong development this year then he could be a potential rookie option, at his height is hard not to look at, but he has a long way to go if he has serious ambitions of making it onto an AFL list and needs to continue to work hard on all aspects of his game. With many rucks making AFL lists in recent years as 19 and 20 years olds it certainly isn't out of the question though.

Hey knightmare, i was wondering who you think will be players to look out for from oakleigh this year?

I played juniors with james gaff and guy dickson, and go to school with dylan vizzari- all of which are super players. Guy made the vic metro squad last year, but was cut.

I havent seen them play in TAC level, so i'd have no idea whether theyre afl standard or not. what do you think?

Hey knightmare, i was wondering who you think will be players to look out for from oakleigh this year?

I played juniors with james gaff and guy dickson, and go to school with dylan vizzari- all of which are super players. Guy made the vic metro squad last year, but was cut.

I havent seen them play in TAC level, so i'd have no idea whether theyre afl standard or not. what do you think?

Jack Viney is the big name.

There might be a few others who pop up during the year but he is the main standout at this stage.

One smokie, don't know what he is doing this year or what his story is. But Kristian Jaksch has appealed as a tall. Would be around 196-198cm, good marking target up forward who has shown some talent. With a good year can certainly see him getting drafted and developing into something.

Apologies. Didn't get around to answering the 2nd part of your question.

Jimmy Gaff is a long way off still. Very thin build and not nearly the quality of Andrew, but very aware of him and for those APS watchers you'll get to watch him playing alongside Jack Viney and Matthew Haynes for school, so if he has a good season he certainly has the opportunity to get noticed. Not just because he is Andrew's brother.

Dylan Vizzarri has some tricks. Can hit the scoreboard and showed some last year. Interested to see what he can achieve this year.

Guy Dickson I'm not familiar with but at this stage of the year hardly know all the draft prospects.

Been following a kid in qld, Andrew Boston. What have you heard about him? Played state footy last year as an underage player.

Have seen some of him last year but not a player I have notes on at this stage having seen very little of any of the Queeslanders.
Was competitive at the U18 champs last year and in one or two games made the bests from memory. Let me know any updates if he shows strong improvement and I'll take a closer look later in the year.

Jack Viney is the big name.

There might be a few others who pop up during the year but he is the main standout at this stage.

One smokie, don't know what he is doing this year or what his story is. But Kristian Jaksch has appealed as a tall. Would be around 196-198cm, good marking target up forward who has shown some talent. With a good year can certainly see him getting drafted and developing into something.

Smokey?
Played KPF for Metro 16s. Member of AFL futures squad and will play for 18s metro. Showing fantastic signs for Oakleigh.
He'll be drafted for sure. Probably inside first 3 rounds.

Not my definition of a smokey.

Hey Knightmare,

Very impressive that you already have done an analysis of the talent for this years draft, and put them in some kinda order. I am sure the list will evolve over the coming months. I will be very happy if the draft order is as you have at the moment, but it is a long season and it is only April.

What is the birthday cutoff for this years draft.
I see that some of the players you have identified in your mock draft were born in November and December 1994. Is Kurt Heatherley (Hawthorn Kiwi Scholarship holder) eligible for this years draft. His birthday is listed as 1 January 1995 ????

What do you know about Heatherley......I think he is playing at Caufield Grammer at the moment. Is he good enough to get some games in the TAC Cup, and ultimately get on the Hawthorn list next year if eligible.

I really rate your opinions.
Keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back