Traded Essendon trade pick 48 to GWS for Shaun Edwards and Kurt Aylett

Remove this Banner Ad

The suggestions that the Dons overrate their own surely aren't totally fabricated. At least they saw some sense and got some players out and some (modest) picks this year. I agree that once Crameri was hellbent on going, it was going to be hard to get value with the PSD a viable alternative for the Dogs.

I agree Essendon do overrate their own. You'll never see us give up a quality player unless another team offers well overs and it would take very good picks for us to trade fringe young players. We give our young players more time to develop then most clubs with Alex Browne just signing a 2 year deal after not playing a game this year.

While these are weaknesses of Essendon they are also strengths and do quite often work in our favour.

Probably McPhee for pick 55 in 02, which worked well. Cupido, less so.

You certainly got more done before Dodoro, though I'll agree a lot of it was absolute rubbish. Justin Murphy, Alvey, Matt Allan, Campo etc...

The suggestions that the Dons overrate their own surely aren't totally fabricated. At least they saw some sense and got some players out and some (modest) picks this year. I agree that once Crameri was hellbent on going, it was going to be hard to get value with the PSD a viable alternative for the Dogs.

And our offer for Houli was pick 47, which you didn't intend to use at the time. Then Jay Neagle got even fatter and you picked out to #80 (some bloke called Michael Ross). We chose Helbig at 47, who the Dons apparently wanted afterwards. It was an error, but not horrific, in isolation. We retain hopes for Helbig.

You also received 33 (Anthony Long????) and paid pick 42 (Nathan Vardy) to buy Williams.

All I'm saying is that with his record, most clubs would have exited Dodoro some time ago.
Letting Houli go freed up a spot for a guy named Hibberd, we're pretty happy with Dodoro, he's no Greg Milller..Concentrate on your own success of the last 30 years..We hardly need lessons from Richmond...

Letting Houli go freed up a spot for a guy named Hibberd, we're pretty happy with Dodoro, he's no Greg Milller..Concentrate on your own success of the last 30 years..We hardly need lessons from Richmond...

Yes, notice how Greg Miller was exited? That was a good call.

Letting him go? He walked.

And him leaving freed up a spot for.... Luke Davis. Could be anything, I suppose.

As I say, you kinda stuffed that one. It happens. It's more the aggregated errors made by Dodoro that have others wondering why on earth you still give him a desk. Free agency has admittedly been a godsend for him, removing the need to trade with another club. But, it's an issue.

Yes, notice how Greg Miller was exited? That was a good call.

Letting him go? He walked.

And him leaving freed up a spot for.... Luke Davis. Could be anything, I suppose.

As I say, you kinda stuffed that one. It happens. It's more the aggregated errors made by Dodoro that have others wondering why on earth you still give him a desk. Free agency has admittedly been a godsend for him, removing the need to trade with another club. But, it's an issue.

First it was ross then it was davis. When in reality it was pig.

First it was ross then it was davis. When in reality it was pig.

Whatever makes you happy.

Who was the last decent player, in or entering their prime, for whom Dodoro traded?

Was it Cole, Rifleman or Prismall?

Then ask yourself if that history supports a view that, this time, he's nailed it with Edwards and Aylett.

Whatever makes you happy.

Who was the last decent player, in or entering their prime, for whom Dodoro traded?

Was it Cole, Rifleman or Prismall?

Then ask yourself if that history supports a view that, this time, he's nailed it with Edwards and Aylett.

There's a culture at Essendon. It's called "developing our own". Maybe the tiggers don't know it. You just pick up opposition flakey flankers in Knights, Grigg and Houli (I still see that he's useless when given a man, I would have thought he'd learned how to defend by now)

There's a culture at Essendon. It's called "developing our own". Maybe the tiggers don't know it. You just pick up opposition flakey flankers in Knights, Grigg and Houli (I still see that he's useless when given a man, I would have thought he'd learned how to defend by now)

Developing our own? What a silly statement. You're in a thread discussing the recruitment of these 2 blokes who couldn't get a game for the bottom side. Your own? How did you develop Anthony Long? Neagle? Ross?

You bought Prismall for the pick that secured Steven Motlop. That's not developing your own.

Chappy and Goddard your own? No, that is nonsensical.

Augmenting your side via trading is something all clubs strive to perfect. 10 years on the job, and Dodoro's still yet to get a trade right. 10 years!!! Maybe this one will be the first. Let's hope so.

You could make an argument that we should target opposition sides fringe players more but I'd rather back our recruiters and development coaches to bring good players to the club whether it be for pick 6 or 66.

Eugh, hindsight drafting makes me vomit, appropriately enough vomit comes up the guts

It's not so much hindsight drafting, but merely observing that this who think/ claim that securing Edwards and Aylett for 48 is - when viewed through the lens of Dodoro's horrific trading record - should prompt caution, more so than optimism.

Yes, every club has its horror stories, but Dodoro has stuffed every single trade he has ever done. Ever. Over 10 years. Will this be the trade that breaks the pattern? We shall see.

We rooted Houli by playing him out of position. He doesn't and never will have what it takes to be a quality AFL midfielder. He's incapable of winning his own footy and never had the tank.

He goes to the Tigers, onto a HBF and flourishes. It should have been at Essendon.

As for not getting anything, part of that was circumstance - to their credit the new coaching regime was hellbent on keeping him at the club and used every last second they had to try to convince him to stay, incl after trade week. Thats not always smart but I think it's a reasonable approach when all that is on the line is pick 47. It's not really here nor there when a good player is on the line. Crameri is the opposite, pick 26 is worth getting.

Ultimately he'd given Richmond word and wouldn't go back on it. Tumultuous time for the club and unfortunately he slipped through the cracks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Developing our own? What a silly statement. You're in a thread discussing the recruitment of these 2 blokes who couldn't get a game for the bottom side. Your own? How did you develop Anthony Long? Neagle? Ross?

Long never got out of the rehab group. I'm not sure he that he managed 10 vfl games

You could make an argument that we should target opposition sides fringe players more but I'd rather back our recruiters and development coaches to bring good players to the club whether it be for pick 6 or 66.

Yes but that's the very point. Why back your recruiting guy when he clearly stinks at trading for value/ half decent players? It seems really deluded to me.

We rooted Houli by playing him out of position. He doesn't and never will have what it takes to be a quality AFL midfielder. He's incapable of winning his own footy and never had the tank.

He goes to the Tigers, onto a HBF and flourishes. It should have been at Essendon.

As for not getting anything, part of that was circumstance - to their credit the new coaching regime was hellbent on keeping him at the club and used every last second they had to try to convince him to stay, incl after trade week. Thats not always smart but I think it's a reasonable approach when all that is on the line is pick 47. It's not really here nor there when a good player is on the line. Crameri is the opposite, pick 26 is worth getting.

Ultimately he'd given Richmond word and wouldn't go back on it. Tumultuous time for the club and unfortunately he slipped through the cracks.

Well said. At the time it was entirely defensible.
And better to go for a draftee who wants to be with you. Every chance of a good slider at 26

It's not so much hindsight drafting, but merely observing that this who think/ claim that securing Edwards and Aylett for 48 is - when viewed through the lens of Dodoro's horrific trading record - should prompt caution, more so than optimism.

Yes, every club has its horror stories, but Dodoro has stuffed every single trade he has ever done. Ever. Over 10 years. Will this be the trade that breaks the pattern? We shall see.

trade lovett, gain carlisle. win, unmistakeable.

trade monfries and gain another pick instead of nothing, another unmistakeable win.

Getting 2 guys that we clearly rate highly for an average pick in an average draft, again, it can't not be a win at this stage

Maybe Dodoro should be relieved of trading authority. It's obviously not his game.

A bit like we have done at Richmond. Francis Jackson heads up drafting. The excellent Blair Hartley does the list enhancement via trading.

Maybe but list management is a lot more than just trading so its hard to evaluate Dodoro without being in the inner sanctum of the club.

Probably McPhee for pick 55 in 02, which worked well. Cupido, less so.

You certainly got more done before Dodoro, though I'll agree a lot of it was absolute rubbish. Justin Murphy, Alvey, Matt Allan, Campo etc...

And our offer for Houli was pick 47, which you didn't intend to use at the time. Then Jay Neagle got even fatter and you picked out to #80 (some bloke called Michael Ross). We chose Helbig at 47, who the Dons apparently wanted afterwards. It was an error, but not horrific, in isolation. We retain hopes for Helbig.

You also received 33 (Anthony Long????) and paid pick 42 (Nathan Vardy) to buy Williams.

All I'm saying is that with his record, most clubs would have exited Dodoro some time ago.
Cool story bro, now here's some actual facts..about you delusion..This is what your club has done in the dodoro era..

2004...Trade out Brad ottens for picks 12 and 16 which you used on Danny Meyer and Adam Pattison..omg Dodoro would be lynched if he let that stuff happen..
Then you drafted Tambling instead of Buddy, Meyer instead of Monfries, Pattison and Polo when you could have had Le cras and Van Berlo..

2005..Patrick Bowden swapped for pick 56= joel Patful.
Then you drafted, Oakley nicholls with pick 8, could have had Mitch clark.
Cleve Hughes at 24, could have had Ibbotson..
Travis Casserly at pick 40, could have had Andrew Swallow.

2006.Traded in Polak for picks that allowed collingwood to get Ben Reid and Goldsack, giving premiership players to them is a low act....Shame RFC.

2007..Jordy McMahon for pick 19= callum Ward..hmmm
Dean Putt at 51, could have had Cale Hooker, Dodoro strikes again.

2008.Adam Thompson in for pick 42, could have had Rory Sloane..

2009.Jay Schultz to Port for Mitch Banner and Ben Nason..
Pick 19 you drafted Ben Griffiths, should have had Nat Fyfe..

2010. took Helbig and Houli, could have had Hibberd and Puopolo.

2011, traded out pick 14(Devon Smith) to get Ellis and Elton..Smith is the best of those 3.

2012.sfa.

2013.hampson for a second rounder..

That's about 6 premiership players you have gifted other clubs,
think you should concentrate on your club, how many recruiting managers have you had in those years?

Free agency starts, we get Goddard you get Knights...Dodoro strike again..

Now Chappy, you couldn't afford him you're paying Knights aren't you?

Winning your style!!! your version of your list manager is crap based on hindsight....easy hey??
Our list's in better shape, time will prove me right...

Cool story bro, now here's some actual facts..about you delusion..This is what your club has done in the dodoro era..

blah
blah
blah

Heavens you can't even Google right.:rolleyes:

This is not a Richmond thread, but lot of that is just plain wrong. Mitch Banner?? No I do not recall him playing for us. Traded in Polak.... and got Riewoldt too for the downgraded pick? Of course, we should have gone Sellar. Traded 14 for Steve Morris and 15 (Ellis)? Tick. Elton was part of Tambling compo, exchanged via GC. The other part was McIntosh. Try to keep up.
Forgot to mention Ivan? Chaplin? How convenient.

Also, note that the errors we have made (we all have a few, but note how we have done since Blair Hartley arrived) in "the Dodoro" era were largely made by persons deemed poor at their jobs. And exited. Why does Dodoro stay?

Hey, it's your funeral. I would just expect a little accountability. Sometimes it's the trades you don't/ can't make, too. Offered O'Meara for Tom Bellchambers and Dodoro said no. Hmmm...

Caddy? Gaff? I just don;t think Dodoro is good at what he does, and that accordingly this trade should be viewed with considerable cynicism. But if you think Aylett will become a superstar and Edwards is the next Ablett, well good luck to you.

Chaplin was a fantatic pick up and Houli has exceeded expectations. Would not call him flakey.

Just like Crameri went from being a good player to a dud after walking out on your team.

Lovett & Nash - Carlisle & Williams
Jenkins & #41 - Merrett
Monfries free agent - Van Unen
Pick #38 - Prismall (2 knee recos 2nd really severe)
Houli directly replaced by - Hibberd
Crameri - Pick #26
Pick #48 - Aylett & Edwards
Pick #84 - Chapman
Free - Goddard

Chaplin was a fantatic pick up and Houli has exceeded expectations. Would not call him flakey.

Just like Crameri went from being a good player to a dud after walking out on your team.

Would love to know who said he was a dud.
I just think the additions of Daniher and Chapman to our forward line, the loss of Crameri will be pretty much unnoticed much like Houli / Hibberd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back