Review Dees v Gary Ablett Jr and the Gold Coast Suns - the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why was Tyson subbed off?
Roosy said they were managing him considering he's never played a huge stretch of games at this level, but he straight out says it was an error.

In all seriousness though how good is it to be complaining about an 8 point loss rather than an 80 point loss, If we can play at around that level we will win a few games this year
Usually if we had only 10 blokes who earned their pay we'd get an epic flogging. It's definitely progress.

In all seriousness though how good is it to be complaining about an 8 point loss rather than an 80 point loss, If we can play at around that level we will win a few games this year
It's good to know that we're a chance in the next two weeks v Sydney at the 'G and Adelaide away, whereas last year you could just about write these ones off before bounce. If we stay competitive in the next month (Sydney, Adelaide, WB, Richmond), we'll give ourselves an opportunity to pinch one or two.

It's good to know that we're a chance in the next two weeks v Sydney at the 'G and Adelaide away, whereas last year you could just about write these ones off before bounce. If we stay competitive in the next month (Sydney, Adelaide, WB, Richmond), we'll give ourselves an opportunity to pinch one or two.

I had almost lost faith in the footy for a little there becaue you knew before a game that we would lose, Now I can atleast look forward to the Sydney game and think that hell maybe we can

Had no impact on the game at all
Smoked too much weed before the game maybe. His decision making has been painfully slow the last two games.

wasn't his best game but in 51% game time had 9 contested possession (4th for us) and 4 clearances (3rd for us). Even though he wasn't playing his best he was still taking some heat off the other mids, Jetta was someone that had no impact out there

Roosy said they were managing him considering he's never played a huge stretch of games at this level, but he straight out says it was an error.
This makes more sense, still i agree bad decision

Oh, I wouldn't have taken him off but he wasn't good. Like I've said most of the team deserved subbing off.
At the very least he was getting his hands on the football. Had about 13 touches to just after half-time, and that includes the period where we got smashed in the middle in the second quarter.. I'd have taken Jetta off first, he touched it about thrice in the first half and had maybe one tackle. To his credit he lifted a bit in the second though, pressure was a lot better. Still worse than Dom.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the very least he was getting his hands on the football. Had about 13 touches to just after half-time, and that includes the period where we got smashed in the middle in the second quarter.. I'd have taken Jetta off first, he touched it about thrice in the first half and had maybe one tackle. To his credit he lifted a bit in the second though, pressure was a lot better. Still worse than Dom.

To be fair Jetta has to be judged on his direct opponent as well, I have no idea who he was on but if he kept his opponent goal less and to 5 touches then its better than an extra half dozen chip kicks

They did alright today. They really fought it out.

Watts was s**t. Howe needs a run in the twos. And mckenzie is really on last legs.

But overall, it was not a terrible performance and I think the boys will be really rueing a missed opportunity which should fuel the fire to continue being competitive.

Edit: oh, and NATHAN ******* JONES. 'Nuff said <3

Couldn't fault the effort again today (except maybe in the 2nd quarter). Just the skills, time and time again, were not up to a suitable standard.

A wasted chance to pick up 4 points.
Good:
*We fought it out, where in previous years we would have rolled over and died after that second quarter.
*N Jones - just a gun. What more can you say.
*Dawes/Frawley forward line - worked well again today. The missed shots made me tear my hair out though.
*Cross/Vince/Viney - All fought hard.

Bad:
*The second quarter - we got absolutely mauled, and really shouldn't have had a chance to pinch the win had Gold Coast kicked straight.
*Terlich. Apart from that goal it wasn't a pretty day. Has to be dropped next week.
*McDonald. Dirty day. I don't know if he's suffering a bit without Frawley down there? Need Garland back next week to help with the Franklin / Tippett combo. Oh, and grow the hair back, please!
*Tackling technique. Too many accidental decapitations today. McKenzie and Pedersen come to mind, but I'm sure there were others that were just too clumsy today.
*Jetta. Maybe a bit much to expect him to step up straight away in his first game back at AFL level? Or maybe he's just a good VFL player, and that's it.
*Watts. Shitted me to tears today.
*Tyson. Early season form has evaporated. Looked to be second guessing himself a fair bit today.

Ugly:
*McKenzie / Ablett decision - What an appalling umpiring decision to pay at a critical time of the game. If Brent Macaffer was allowed to do what he was to Trent Cotchin, then McKenzie's 'blocking' of Ablett was nothing.

*Booing of Ablett after the decision. Boo the maggot that payed the decision. Don't boo Ablett.

*GC's cheap goals from centre breaks in the 4th. It's hurts when you fight so hard for a goal, only for the opposition to score a quick one from the centre break immediately after. Happened multiple times in the last quarter. Maybe more of a credit to the GC's mids, but we needed more game sense in the centre square at critical times. Gotta lock that pill down, boys.

*Goal Review System - For f**ks sake. What's the point of having the system if you can't overturn a decision like that. The ball went at 90 degrees off of the Gold Coast defenders fist! I mean, I'm happy to take the goal, but really...
Erm, the booing WAS at the ump, I'm sure. Just because it continued on a bit - probably in an attempt to distract Ablett - doesn't mean it was directed at him. I booing my **** off, and not at Ablett.

There were 10-12 guys much worse than Howe. He doesn't quite have his marking hands yet but he's worlds ahead of a bunch of plonkers.
I thought he was terrible. I watched him a lot off the ball, as well as minor things like when he's manning the mark. He just looks disinterested and his insignificant impact on the game (in all 5 games so far) reflects that.

How much does Jack Viney's kicking to our forwards stick out? That's a guy with a football brain, he always kicks it to the forward's adavantage side. **** all other guys do.
Jones has become excellent at finding the right option going fwd and putting to the fwds advantage. Watts when he has time. Toumpas too. Other than that though, sweet FA like you said.

I thought he was terrible. I watched him a lot off the ball, as well as minor things like when he's manning the mark. He just looks disinterested and his insignificant impact on the game (in all 5 games so far) reflects that.

Thought he was average till he went up forward and presented a target in the 3rd.

Good:
Jones - just so damn good. I never thought he'd improve his disposal and decision making this much but he has, very good chance for AA and probably in the best 10 mids in the comp right now
Viney - Best game he has played for us, his disposal has significantly improved over last year and he is just so damn tough
Frawley/Dawes - Finishing was poor (Particularly Dawes) but they presented well all day

Bad:
That Ablett decision, we would have lost anyway but frustrating to see a decision that bad at AFL level
The Frawley 'goal'

Ugly:
Watts - Posted about him in the rant thread
GC's goalkicking in first half

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back