Preview Round 6 Changes and Pre-Match Discussion Vs Essendon (MCG)

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy to go in unchanged. Handy to have a couple of bigger bodies mids out for them. Macaffer to Watson or Stanton and Goldsack to shut down Hibberd.

Good to see another unchanged line up.

Good line up

B - Maxwell Frost Toovey
HB - Lumumba Keeffe Fasolo
C - Swan Beams Young
HF - Goldsack Cloke Sidebottom
F - Elliott White Blair
R - Grundy Macaffer Pendlebury
INT - Witts Thomas Ball Langdon

Does anyone think there could possibly be a late change? Bringing in a runner such as Adams/Dwyer for one of our ruckman Grundy/Witts?
Essendon have Ryder in the ruck and Carlisle/Daniher up forward, but have brought in a bit of pace in Dempsey and Winderlich.
Just a thought.

Also looking to the next few weeks Reid, Brown, Williams, Adams, Dwyer, Sinclair will all be pushing for spots so things are getting interesting.

Good to see another unchanged line up.

Good line up

B - Maxwell Frost Toovey
HB - Lumumba Keeffe Fasolo
C - Swan Beams Young
HF - Goldsack Cloke Sidebottom
F - Elliott White Blair
R - Grundy Macaffer Pendlebury
INT - Witts Thomas Ball Langdon

Does anyone think there could possibly be a late change? Bringing in a runner such as Adams/Dwyer for one of our ruckman Grundy/Witts?
Essendon have Ryder in the ruck and Carlisle/Daniher up forward, but have brought in a bit of pace in Dempsey and Winderlich.
Just a thought.

Also looking to the next few weeks Reid, Brown, Williams, Adams, Dwyer, Sinclair will all be pushing for spots so things are getting interesting.
Nope, get on Witts for the anzac day medal. $151 last I checked

Did you get a stat from somewhere or just guessing?

Midweek on AFL 360.

According to the information supplied #1 for intercept possessions and #1 for creating turnovers both of which are byproducts of the pressure we're creating, but unfortunately sitting in #9 for conversion from said turnovers.

As has been the problem for much of the past 2 seasons our efficiency once we win the ball back let's us down.

For mine it's a chicken or the egg scenario. Do you want the guy gifted at pressuring the opponent, forcing the turnover and potentially blowing the opportunity it creates or the bloke that is unable to pressure the ball carrier and cause the turnover, but will capitalize if someone else does?

For mine I'd rather be proactive and allow the boys to catch and kill their own so to speak. Rather than relying on others further afield.

Would we really lose pressure by bringing Ball into the 21 and leaving Goldsack out of it.

For mine we would because the only issue I have with Ball's game ATM is his ability on the spread which is where Goldsack's pressure is most important.

Don't get me wrong I'm in favour of including Ball in the 21 and I'm very confident he will just not at the expense of Goldsack. My tip would be Thomas.

Ball over Golsack anyday for me. I'll take Ball's pressure and his extra 10-15 possessions too!. Goldsack is still actually doing what he has always done.. kind of doing enough to stay in the team but not really... sort of maybe.... By his standards, Goldy has been pretty good these last 4 weeks... but we are still discussing if he deserves a spot in the team. I'm glad that we are playing him forward which is where he does provide something for the team.

Unchanged! I like it. Let's hope that the confidence remains high as well as the form. Otherwise, I fear that Essendon will win it. They haven't been that 'poor' this year and I doubt that they will put in a third 'poor' performance. So, we have to be on our game just like we were last week if we are to win.

Form wise I'd say it's 60/40 possibly 70/30 our way. However, due to the occasion, form is less relevant, thus it's a genuine 50/50 imo. Can't believe Essendon fans are already surrendering. Show some faith you flogs! I'm nervous about this game and am not 100% confident we will win it. I guess you could say I am quietly confident, but wouldn't be surprised if they upset us.

Come on Pies! Let's do this!

Last edited:
Goldsack is almost the soul reason our forwardline has been able to play 4 talls(including himself) in the side without being top heavy, time after time he will run after a man with ball in hand in there backline and even if they are almost physically impossible to catch up to and tackle he will give it his all to make them know hes coming after them, his attitude and work effort are sensational and should be a benchmark of what every player should want, he will play a huge part in our next game against Hawthorn. Backs his teammates up, loves the club, never gives up and provides all the one percenters the lazy talented footballers can only dream of, one of our most selfless and best clubman and Bucks loves that s**t.

yes.. Golsacks attitude and effort has always been commendable and a huge part of the reason he keeps getting a gig... nobody was questioning his attitude and effort... it's a shame for Goldy that attitude and effort alone do not maketh a good footballer!

Ball over Golsack anyday for me. I'll take Ball's pressure and his extra 10-15 possessions too!. Goldsack is still actually doing what he has always done.. kind of doing enough to stay in the team but not really... sort of maybe.... By his standards, Goldy has been pretty good these last 4 weeks... but we are still discussing if he deserves a spot in the team. I'm glad that we are playing him forward which is where he does provide something for the team.

The question I have with Ball when discussing pressure is where does the pressure emanate? It's through the contest and around the ball. Take nothing away from Ball, but once it gets on the outside he struggles.

For instance is he going to emulate the chase down tackle that Goldsack produced on Wells last week? That is the pressure that has provided us with an edge early in 2014. We play a low stoppage style game so the necessecity for pressure at the contest is reduced compared to the requirements in open space.

The question I have with Ball when discussing pressure is where does the pressure emanate? It's through the contest and around the ball. Take nothing away from Ball, but once it gets on the outside he struggles.

For instance is he going to emulate the chase down tackle that Goldsack produced on Wells last week? That is the pressure that has provided us with an edge early in 2014. We play a low stoppage style game so the necessecity for pressure at the contest is reduced compared to the requirements in open space.
He has definitely lost some leg speed since his acl but that's not really his game... he will give us better pressure around stoppages in the forward half imo but more importantly he will win the ball a lot more than Goldsack, especially at stoppages.

My point about Essendon early today exactly.

I don't understand the psychology they are using by saying they are going to lose and they base it on players missing out. Well we have Dwyer, Brown, Adams, Reid and Sinclair are not playing and they are best 22 even though three of them are emergencies they are best 22 players, it's just they are underdone.

Deep inside they still think they are going to win and if they do they will get stuck in to us in a big way and if they lose they will have the I told you so attitude or you are still yet to show you are good because you haven't beaten a good side yet at full strength yet.

Personally I want to belt them tomorrow shut all of their bandwagoners up and keep them out of the 8 where they belong with Carlton and Richmond. The way they roll they will probably want Thompson sacked if they lose three in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Form wise I'd say it's 60/40 possibly 70/30 our way. However, due to the occasion, form is less relevant, thus it's a genuine 50/50 imo. Can't believe Essendon fans are already surrendering. Show some faith you flogs! I'm nervous about this game and am not 100% confident we will win it. I guess you could say I am quietly confident, but wouldn't be surprised if they upset us.

Come on Pies! Let's do this!

:rolleyes:

For mine we would because the only issue I have with Ball's game ATM is his ability on the spread which is where Goldsack's pressure is most important.

Don't get me wrong I'm in favour of including Ball in the 21 and I'm very confident he will just not at the expense of Goldsack. My tip would be Thomas.

I'd be disappointed if JT was sub, as I think that he needs game time. Every week so far, we've gone with an inside mid as sub, so JT is a fair bet, but I'd prefer us to go with Blair if we want to keep the same balance. However, I'd like to see us test out a different balance and go with wither Goldsack or Langdon as sub.

Happy how it sits going into the game with us very settled and Essendon missing several key players. But we need intensity from the first bounce and apply the same pressure as the past few weeks.

He has definitely lost some leg speed since his acl but that's not really his game... he will give us better pressure around stoppages in the forward half imo but more importantly he will win the ball a lot more than Goldsack, especially at stoppages.

Let's take a comparison of the two teams.

It's 17 v 18 for hitouts and 10 v 17 for total clearances which indicates that the two teams don't rely on stoppages. From there we move to overall possessions, marks and DE which sees Essendon ranked number 1 in all 3 league wide.

What this indicates is that they like to operate in open space and get the ball away from congestion. Therefore which player is more important in tomorrow's match the one that applies pressure at stoppages or the one who pressures the ball carrier?

TBH I'd expect a midfielder to win more of it than a forward no matter who the two players you are comparing.

At the end of the day both will be in the 21. Ball will be included to cash in on the absences of Goddard, Myers and Hocking around the contest and Goldsack will be included for his pressure in the forward half.

Thought we were talking about Ball v Goldsack as the defensive forward.... The best way of pressuring any opposition is to have the ball in your hands! Ball will do this much more than Goldsack even as a forward.

Josh thomas will be sub imo. Goldy and ball will play.

Witts also a late out for dwyer imo.

I'd be disappointed if JT was sub, as I think that he needs game time. Every week so far, we've gone with an inside mid as sub, so JT is a fair bet, but I'd prefer us to go with Blair if we want to keep the same balance. However, I'd like to see us test out a different balance and go with wither Goldsack or Langdon as sub.

In regards to testing a new balance, if it ain't broke why fix it?

The other aspect is that the sub role is one that we just haven't gotten right, IMO, since it's introduction. The only player I've seen really make an impact in the role was JT v Adelaide last year and his ability on the outside is understated. Too often it feels like we fill the role with the 22nd player picked.

For mine I'd like to see the sub role filled by a youngin', with a blend of inside and outside, that can hit the scoreboard and JT is the closest to that in the current line up. Not to mention that he isn't yet at the same level as the two players I discussed previously in pressuring the ball carrier or in contested situations.

Last year is enough of an incentive for us to be fully switched on for this. The media have stoked their fire as if they needed it?

But really if you think about it the magnitude of last year's loss and Toovey's knee to cap off a shocker will have us really primed - the media wont cancel out our desire to right last year's debacle.

Oh no change is just dandy by me!

In regards to testing a new balance, if it ain't broke why fix it?

The other aspect is that the sub role is one that we just haven't gotten right, IMO, since it's introduction. The only player I've seen really make an impact in the role was JT v Adelaide last year and his ability on the outside is understated. Too often it feels like we fill the role with the 22nd player picked.

For mine I'd like to see the sub role filled by a youngin', with a blend of inside and outside, that can hit the scoreboard and JT is the closest to that in the current line up. Not to mention that he isn't yet at the same level as the two players I discussed previously in pressuring the ball carrier or in contested situations.
I think Bucks is using the sub rule for another reason. He trusts his men to get the job done while carrying a "resting/managed" player like Ball.

He will I think revert back to an impact player when finals come around.

Thought we were talking about Ball v Goldsack as the defensive forward.... The best way of pressuring any opposition is to have the ball in your hands! Ball will do this much more than Goldsack even as a forward.

Using Ball forward of centre would be a poor move. He just has no ability to hit the scoreboard or pressure on the spread any longer. Can you imagine him trying to chase Baguley or Dempsey out of our back half?

He's brilliant in the contest though so will still put up good numbers when used through the middle and is very likely to be in at the first centre bounce tomorrow :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back