Mega Thread Trade Targets 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at the moment does it look like GWS won't offer Jaksch another contract?

GWS know that there are plenty of suitors for Jaskch and can comfortably sit back and wait for things to happen.

Still find it hard to understand how we could have him secured.
We would have had to offer something others couldn't and why would GWS need to rush into things?

GWS know that there are plenty of suitors for Jaskch and can comfortably sit back and wait for things to happen.

We would have had to offer something others couldn't and why would GWS need to rush into things?
It's possible we've made him a good offer & he'll just pull a Luke Ball. Unless that kind of draft tampering is something only Collingwood are allowed to do

As for other trades- Malthouse has proven that what he looks for is blokes that are genuinely competitive and want to win. Carlton needs both class and mongrel on its its list - the mongrel bit means that you win more close games than you lose and your percentages are cumulatively better as the year goes on - because the mongrel bit enjoys destroying other sides.
This couldnt be more true.....why do you think Simon White has played so many games this year. You know a player is a mongrel when they are in the thick of almost every on field fight - its rare to see him far from a dust up - opposition players seem to really dislike him on the field. It helps when these players are also skillful, and White has really come along well this year.

It's possible we've made him a good offer & he'll just pull a Luke Ball. Unless that kind of draft tampering is something only Collingwood are allowed to do

Everything's possible and Jaksch may have nominated Carlton as his preferred destiny but wouldn't GWS sooner go to auction?

Anyway, we'll soon find out.

This scenario brings me back the McLean and Melbourne back in 2009 when we secured him before the trade period by offering up #11 before the draft period even began. In hind sight we over paid for him massively, and would have been better off holding off discussions until the trade period had began. I just hope we haven't gone in too hard, too early and given up our 1st rd selection for him.

If we have given up our first pick for Jaksch I hope we all lynch whoever made that decision

Thankfully the club is definitely not that stupid

Maybe there is some decent steak knives to the deal. We get a developed tall with some pedigree as a first rounder and something to bridge the gap between his original draft pick and our first rounder. Maybe a decent mid worth a late first rounder for our second rounder. Two ready made players to slot straight in.

He said second rounder/player (whichever comes first) and third rounder. I don't understand exactly what he means by "whichever comes first" but a first rounder was not mentioned.

Nor should it be.

I think he means if we can't agree on a player, or that player doesn't want to go, a 2nd round pick will be traded.

The whatever comes first part also suggests more wheeling and dealing on our part. We may be looking to trade for a further 2nd rounder:

Something like:

Garlett to WCE for pick 27
Picks 27 & 42 to GWS for Jaksh (maybe we get a 3rd rounder back also?)

Maybe there is some decent steak knives to the deal. We get a developed tall with some pedigree as a first rounder and something to bridge the gap between his original draft pick and our first rounder. Maybe a decent mid worth a late first rounder for our second rounder. Two ready made players to slot straight in.
That could maybe work - it would depend who the midfielder is.

I don't want a "downgrade" situation where we lost #5 and get Jaksch and #20 back from GWS - I would hope the discussion circle mainly around our 2nd Round pick with steak knives thrown in from our side. (But I think our second should jsut about get it done shoudl Jaksch nominate us as his preferred destination)

This theory may have some legs, people are forgetting GWS has to trim their list by two each year for the next three years so anytime they can do a 2-for-1 deal they will jump at it, especially if their return is a mega upgrade on their draft picks.

Thing is, I'm very sceptical about the quality of the players they would be prepared to part with. There is no way known that they are all of a sudden going to start palming off the cream from their list. It will be the players who are genuinely on the fringe or struggling to earn senior selection who will be traded, the other clubs will be considering them better options to work with than a brand new draftee.

This theory may have some legs, people are forgetting GWS has to trim their list by two each year for the next three years so anytime they can do a 2-for-1 deal they will jump at it, especially if their return is a mega upgrade on their draft picks.

Thing is, I'm very sceptical about the quality of the players they would be prepared to part with. There is no way known that they are all of a sudden going to start palming off the cream from their list. It will be the players who are genuinely on the fringe or struggling to earn senior selection who will be traded, the other clubs will be considering them better options to work with than a brand new draftee.

The thing about some of their fringe players is that there is still plenty of quality to work with given the depth of young talent they have. They won't have the senior experience but they will have a couple of years of physical development. So it is like going to the draft, picking up that player at fair value (2012/13 draft value), without expecting their value has dropped because they haven't been getting enough games, because we know they can't fit them all in, but getting a physically mature player who can make a difference for us immediately, like Docherty has. They get their price back, we get two years of physical development for free and potential immediate impact.

It's sort of like English soccer. You loan out players for a season so they can develop elsewhere and you aren't paying them. Just think of it as GWS have been developing these guys in the lower leagues for a couple of years for us, and they have been paying their wages.

I don't want a "downgrade" situation where we lost #5 and get Jaksch and #20 back from GWS - I would hope the discussion circle mainly around our 2nd Round pick with steak knives thrown in from our side. (But I think our second should jsut about get it done shoudl Jaksch nominate us as his preferred destination)

Our second pick won't land Jaksch ... It just WON'T !!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't do it for #5 either. There seems to be separation between the top 5 in the draft and everyone else. Right now we are sitting on #6 with a possibility of the Dogs overtaking us and us getting #5. If Frawley leaves Melbourne, it is #6 again. If the AFL give them a PP, it is #7. Then it's more of a lottery again.

Our second pick won't land Jaksch ... It just WON'T !!
wrt Jaksch lets sit back and let gws come to us. We dont need to chase them well only for boyd, but if that isnt happening, then so be it. breed our own, hold onto picks and draft away again like last couple. As gws have to keep trimming list why do anything hasty? roll on the draft.

The thing about some of their fringe players is that there is still plenty of quality to work with given the depth of young talent they have. They won't have the senior experience but they will have a couple of years of physical development. So it is like going to the draft, picking up that player at fair value (2012/13 draft value), without expecting their value has dropped because they haven't been getting enough games, because we know they can't fit them all in, but getting a physically mature player who can make a difference for us immediately, like Docherty has. They get their price back, we get two years of physical development for free and potential immediate impact.

It's sort of like English soccer. You loan out players for a season so they can develop elsewhere and you aren't paying them. Just think of it as GWS have been developing these guys in the lower leagues for a couple of years for us, and they have been paying their wages.

Don't disagree at all, the smart clubs will pluck one out of nowhere (eg. Richmond with Miles) and make it work.

I just think that far too many Blues supporters are expecting the club to engineer a trade which nets us a player in the mould of Treloar, Shiel, Smith or Hoskin-Elliott. The only way they are going to leave is if there is a major breakdown with the coach.

Don't disagree at all, the smart clubs will pluck one out of nowhere (eg. Richmond with Miles) and make it work.

I just think that far too many Blues supporters are expecting the club to engineer a trade which nets us a player in the mould of Treloar, Shiel, Smith or Hoskin-Elliott. The only way they are going to leave is if there is a major breakdown with the coach.
hmmm thats got me thinking....
get boyd to go up to leon and sat Duck you deckhand! im outta here you mudder ducker haha:D

hmmm thats got me thinking....
get boyd to go up to leon and sat Duck you deckhand! im outta here you mudder ducker haha:D

Oh man, I should just delete the post, but I have to know ....

I would take that. It's similar to the Polec trade that handed them Impey as the steak knives. Pick 20 could be as good as pick seven to 11. Every "expert" opinion suggests this is an even draft. 20 or 21 could get us one of the many mids that are on offer this year. There's more value to be found in the pick 20 to 40 range than the third round.

Early draft picks alone aren't going to improve our list. We need to double dip and add value to our list with later picks.

Last edited:
wrt Jaksch lets sit back and let gws come to us. We dont need to chase them well only for boyd, but if that isnt happening, then so be it. breed our own, hold onto picks and draft away again like last couple. As gws have to keep trimming list why do anything hasty? roll on the draft.

GWS won't be coming begging to us mate , every club in the league is sniffing around their list .
You must be pro active ... Last year Malthouse got on a plane to secure Everitt for virtually nothing !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back