Preview AFL Round 22 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, 7:40PM Saturday 23 August

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have to be v large win by Freo, and v large loss by Hawks for them to reverse ladder spots.
Can't see that myself.

For that to happen we would have to lose by 70+ points to Geelong and Fremantle would have to beat Brisbane by a similar margin.

In my opinion our percentage will stay around about the same as we play Collingwood next while Fremantle plays Port Adelaide. Without Fyfe, Barlow and McPharlin for this week game Fremantle are far from certainties to beat Brisbane at the GABBA. I reckon the top four will finish like this.

Sydney 18-4
Geelong 18-4
Hawthorn 16-6
Fremantle 16-6

For that to happen we would have to lose by 70+ points to Geelong and Fremantle would have to beat Brisbane by a similar margin.

In my opinion our percentage will stay around about the same as we play Collingwood next while Fremantle plays Port Adelaide. Without Fyfe, Barlow and McPharlin for this week game Fremantle are far from certainties to beat Brisbane at the GABBA. I reckon the top four will finish like this.

Sydney 18-4
Geelong 18-4
Hawthorn 16-6
Fremantle 16-6
Don't share your confidence about our game. Both teams lack one key player so personnel wise, no excuses really. Recovery from the weekend would be your main concern, but a fresh few ins for Hawks are excellent.

Divine intervention might get us over the line if you're so inclined.:)
I'm not. The only god I believed in wore number 5 and had a receding hairline!

Hawthorn will win this game I reckon. Hate to say it but don't feel as though we need it as much as them and that will show. Probably 21 point win to em and will allow us to remain well behind by the two clear premiership favourites heading into the finals. Expectations will be on Hawthorn to win the qualifying final, especially after they got us in this encounter a fortnight earlier :)

Me either. I'd even go further than suggesting it's merely down to major improvement in 2-3 players. We've had significant structural and cohesion issues pretty much all year as I see it - which remain. But I'm the pessimist who didn't anticipate we'd be where we are on the ladder.

It will take some miraculous improvement in form from 2-3 players in it. I can't see it.
Well it'd be good to get more out of Kersten. Varcoe could pick up. And their improvement doesn't have to be miraculous, just lift a bit. Who else?
All the teams probs have some players underperforming this year. None of the 'contenders' have played a consistent style of football that one usually sees from very good teams performing to the best of their ability, especially at the business end of the season. We have won our last 7. Freo and Hawks haven't. Sydney look ok.

Well it'd be good to get more out of Kersten. Varcoe could pick up. And their improvement doesn't have to be miraculous, just lift a bit. Who else?
All the teams probs have some players underperforming this year. None of the 'contenders' have played a consistent style of football that one usually sees from very good teams performing to the best of their ability, especially at the business end of the season. We have won our last 7. Freo and Hawks haven't.
The required improvement from Kersten would be miraculous given he's on a downward trend and has been almost since debut.

I think we lack a genuine crumber and the only player capable without robbing the midfield is Varcoe who hasn't done the role in a long time and is down on confidence. Again, if it happened, I'd say it's miraculous.

Then there's the need for a consistent 3rd marking target. Bartel has been pretty effective but does he have a big finals campaign left in him? Perhaps it wouldn't be miraculous but it would be surprising (at least to me) if he could string together 3 big finals against quality sides.

The required improvement from Kersten would be miraculous given he's on a downward trend and has been almost since debut.

I think we lack a genuine crumber and the only player capable without robbing the midfield is Varcoe who hasn't done the role in a long time and is down on confidence. Again, if it happened, I'd say it's miraculous.

Then there's the need for a consistent 3rd marking target. Bartel has been pretty effective but does he have a big finals campaign left in him? Perhaps it wouldn't be miraculous but it would be surprising (at least to me) if he could string together 3 big finals against quality sides.
Yep but Kersten kicked at least 2 goals in a few games, maybe even got 3 at least once, and really do we need more out of him than that? Maybe he can find some form. They look like they are sticking with him, so now seems the time to get behind him and hope he finds some confidence.
Caddy, Ghs, Motlop, Bartel, Selwood, Mackie, harry, Hawkins, Bundy, Stokes, Blix, Mcintosh, Dunca, Murdo, Stevie, Varcoe- lots of guys who can score goals. Bartel has another campaign in him. Just keep him out of the back line in the second half!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally Mitchell kills Geelong- eg - last qtr of 13PF( completely untagged of course - bloody dopes) - but he looks a bit underdone - which is understandable

The player Geelong have to watch and put out of business is Lewis - i think currently hes nearly their most important player - he organizes their midfield - hes 3rd man up in the ruck - does clever bits of play - which enhances and helps his side- hes got football smarts by the truckload - added to the fact that Geelong ( especially this year) get killed at the clearances - suggests that Lewis is going to have a picnic - i hope Scott and co have put a bit of thought into Lewis

Normally Mitchell kills Geelong- eg - last qtr of 13PF( completely untagged of course - bloody dopes) - but he looks a bit underdone - which is understandable

The player Geelong have to watch and put out of business is Lewis - i think currently hes nearly their most important player - he organizes their midfield - hes 3rd man up in the ruck - does clever bits of play - which enhances and helps his side- hes got football smarts by the truckload - added to the fact that Geelong ( especially this year) get killed at the clearances - suggests that Lewis is going to have a picnic - i hope Scott and co have put a bit of thought into Lewis
Is it possible to like and not like a post @ the same time, don't think Jordy is gonna have it all his way this time.. :)

Who the hell is in the Geelong selection committee? Smedts played alright last week but he still can't get a game. Still persisting with Varcoe who would be better at touch footy

Yep. I really hope they're telling Kersten to get on his bike and lead into space to draw Dawks defenders away from Tommy. Cats upfield *have* to pass to Kersto if the defenders don't go with him.
But at the same time they need to go deep if they don't. It cost us dearly our ******* around on the forward 50 arc against the Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back