Preview AFL Round 22 - Hawthorn v Geelong, MCG, 7:40PM Saturday 23 August

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but Thurlow was already in the side before Horlin Smith pulled out.
But it was either Bews or Thurlow to be dropped for Murdoch/Bartel. Once GHS was a scratching Hartman was the natural like-for-like replacement.

I was referring more to the way he moves and where to, the nuances of his role, rather than the games plan(s) .
I was thinking that his role should be the same in either seniors or VFL but you'd be right, there.
He'd have more responsibility in the VFL, where he's a bigger fish, than when he plays seniors- where he's a small fish and, as such, his role would change. :(

He seems to be a very calm, unhurried player- doesn't seem to panic or anything, which is great for a young player playing in a high pressure game. Guthrie's the same- also Thurlow. I just love how these young kids slot straight into the seniors and appear to do what is expected from the first bounce.

Well, of course, there is the huge elephant in the room, that I think everyone is pretty tired of discussing. But, at gunpoint, I would have had him ahead of Thurlow, as well. I just think it's got to be hard on Bews that he's been harshly dropped - what - three or four times now?

Agreed re 'the undroppable one'.

Jed has been harshly dropped several times. I'm hoping he's mature enough to recognise the blessing he's had to win the senior games he's played this season rather than focus on the ones he's missed. I, for one, didn't expect him to get a senior debut when he did. If his perspective is right, I think he can see his games in the seniors this year as a great foundation rather than an opportunity squandered.

Probably, but having Bews in there would have likely freed up Enright to do more sweeping. Plus, at this stage, I think that Bews is far more likely to feature in September than Thurlow.

Given the sides we're likely to play in September, I'm not sure that's the case. Tomorrow night will probably tell us a lot about whether the team is looking for a backline stopper in any repeat clashes against the Hawks. Also, I'm not sure they'd be desperate for Jed to play against the COLAs. So his standout opportunity might be a game against the Shockers. Which I'm really hoping we avoid.

So, other than the Shockers and a potential meeting with a 5-8 team that might conjure some concerns (Thomas at the Roos, for example), I'm not sure he's that far ahead of Jackson in the pecking order.

Bews was taken via the bidding process and none of the other clubs showed any interest in him. Going to be a bit hard to suggest that he would have been a top 10 pick if we hadn't been able to 'pinch' him.

As Partridge noted in another post, that won't stop them for a second.:)

Surely it hasn't escaped your attention that most footy fans don't share your commitment to objectivity and a reasonable analysis of the facts on record?

Or haven't you been following the Essendon board since February last year?;)

Last edited:
No offence to Hartman who has been quite good in the vfl but I would have thought the Hawthorn forward line is the perfect opponent to test Bews against in case he is needed for finals. At least with Hartman in Thurlow won't be sub though! :)

Horlin Smith better be just a 1 weeker, we don't need any serious injuries at this time of year

At the same time you could say its testing Hartman against the hawks class midfield in case he is needed in the finals.

Agreed re 'the undroppable one'.

Jed has been harshly dropped several times. I'm hoping he's mature enough to recognise the blessing he's had to win the senior games he's played this season rather than focus on the ones he's missed. I, for one, didn't expect him to get a senior debut when he did. If his perspective is right, I think he can see his games in the seniors this year as a great foundation rather than an opportunity squandered.

No way.

Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 3.39.45 pm.png

It's almost not worth listing all the players that we need big games from, as there's a couple (minimum) on every line. But we do need Guthrie to do a reasonable lock-down job on someone, whether that's Mitchell, Lewis or Smith. We need to avoid playing Gunston back into form, as he has generally had big games against us in recent times. We need one of Kersten or Murdoch (at least) to step up and if that happens, I'm confident Hawkins will have a good game as well, because the Hawthorn defence will not be able to afford to be too Hawkins-centric. We need to control the game from the ruck. We need Selwood to play like a worthy Brownlow Medallist (he's been mediocre in the last two games against Hawthorn and he doesn't have Johnson opposite him to put in another BOG performance). And we need Christensen, Stokes, Caddy and Duncan to pick up the slack from the absence of Johnson and GHS.

I think a statement is going to be made here, one way or another.

Plus a horses for courses selection. The 3 emergencies were Brown (a key forward/key defender), and Bews (a small defender). For Horlin-Smith they needed the next best midfielder available. He gets the experience, which is great, but on form he's probably the most deserving too.

Last week perhaps but the last 6 or so in the VFL Schredder has been on fire.

Of course, that does not mean he will get a gig…

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you're using possession statistics to support that opinion. For a back pocket whose role in every game he has played has been to lock down on an opponent. Ok...
Oooh I like this.
So lets say that they dropped Varcoe this week, would anyone have classified that as harsh?

How about this one.
Bews had 5 disposals in 87% game time against the Bombers, and was not dropped.
I fail to see where he has been harshly treated all year.

Oooh I like this.
So lets say that they dropped Varcoe this week, would anyone have classified that as harsh?

How about this one.
Bews had 5 disposals in 87% game time against the Bombers, and was not dropped.
I fail to see where he has been harshly treated all year.

Bews locks down on an opponent (including Paul ****ing Chapman FFS, in the Essendon game). Varcoe runs around like a headless chook.

Bews is very much a role player at this stage. His performances have been solid but could hardly be described as the type of games that demand selection and preclude the return of senior players to the team or, as is the case this week, having a good look at Thurlow who thoroughly deserves a decent chance.

His time will come. I don't see the cause for angst.

Bews locks down on an opponent (including Paul ****ing Chapman FFS, in the Essendon game). Varcoe runs around like a headless chook.

You guys are acting like they've continually dropped Bews for players like Hunt.
They haven't. Geelong has pretty much played the entire year with the back 6 they will tomorrow night.

Again, I fail to see how he has been harshly treated.
I actually think they've handled him pretty well. In the games he's played they've given him way more game time than I would have expected.

You guys are acting like they've continually dropped Bews for players like Hunt.
They haven't. Geelong has pretty much played the entire year with the back 6 they will tomorrow night.

Again, I fail to see how he has been harshly treated.
I actually think they've handled him pretty well. In the games he's played they've given him way more game time than I would have expected.

Because, as far as I'm concerned, he's done a good job in every game he's played.

Yeah I think he's been ok. Certainly shown composure.

Make a deal with you. You guys let us win this one and we'll promise not to humiliate you in the finals. ;)

Good luck. :p

Taken in good humour but ...... I wonder how it would be taken if we posted the same on your board.

I wish you no luck , but no bad either. Have a good , no injury game and get set W1 of the finals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back