Carlton fans thoughts on the finals

Remove this Banner Ad

For Lyon to win a flag would validate a style of play that has mutilated my sport. I would have to move to NZ but even there I would be pestered by the annual failings of St Kilda. Maybe Vanuatu.
Love this post. Do not want that bastard any closer to the big silver cup than from the losers side at the end of the grand final. They let roos get one and look what happened: Ross Lyon.

Thankfully his game plan does not work against top notch opposition as a really good team can usually manage more than 10 goals in a game.

Next week we got WCE (who finished higher than us) at the MCG, with a bit of convenient scheduling.

I was at the Gabba that night. All that celebrating by Lions fans. My answer ... if 1st placed Essendon beat 8th placed Sydney tomorrow, the 3rd place Lions are taking on the 4th placed Bulldogs next week, while the 6th placed Carlton get to take on the 5th placed Eagles ... at home.

He's playing assistant coach at Glenelg.
Last I read he was coming back to Tassie to coach Devonport but there was some hassle with the local league because he wanted to live in Launceston (his home town) while coaching them. Rules say you have to live where you coach. (For the record, Devonport and Launceston are exactly an hours drive apart.)

I am not sure if this news is till current however. Should I start a Mitch Thorp thread?

Last I read he was coming back to Tassie to coach Devonport but there was some hassle with the local league because he wanted to live in Launceston (his home town) while coaching them. Rules say you have to live where you coach. (For the record, Devonport and Launceston are exactly an hours drive apart.)

I am not sure if this news is till current however. Should I start a Mitch Thorp thread?

I don't think so! :D

I was at the Gabba that night. All that celebrating by Lions fans. My answer ... if 1st placed Essendon beat 8th placed Sydney tomorrow, the 3rd place Lions are taking on the 4th placed Bulldogs next week, while the 6th placed Carlton get to take on the 5th placed Eagles ... at home.
Ah, memories. God love the AFL. Sometimes. (All the time if you are Sydney, Melbourne or an expansion team.)

Love this post. Do not want that bastard any closer to the big silver cup than from the losers side at the end of the grand final. They let roos get one and look what happened: Ross Lyon.

Thankfully his game plan does not work against top notch opposition as a really good team can usually manage more than 10 goals in a game.
personally i hate the 80m bubble!
such a scrappy game to watch generally

He may be. That was a couple of months ago I last read about him. Was co-assistant with Sam Lonergan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think so! :D
Spoil sport.

Sheesh Aph, we have only just clocked up the first week of finals and this board has already done the rumours and trade talk if not to death, then on life support. A Mitch Thorp thread would be just the ticket to stir things ups a bit.

Reckon Port are an even money bet against the Dockers. Longer odds against the Hawks but could be a silly chance on a fast deck. Then there's Sydney...yeah/nah

I hope Port knock them off. They play an exciting brand of footy

I hope Port knock them off. They play an exciting brand of footy
They had a dress rehearsal in Perth two weeks ago and a solid practice match against the Tigers to get them into gear. Dockers with Silvagni and Dawson holding the fort. Ballantyne doubtful.

They will never get a better chance.

If they can jump the Dockers even enough to get an early three or four goal lead they will win I reckon. As soon as the Dockers play catch up they open themselves up and the more they have to catch up the more open they are. But its bloody hard to get them into that situation. Very good at kicking straight and getting goals when they need them.

I personally hope Norf Malvern go all the way

Yeah, that would be "good for the game" and help to justify the millions that the AFL have given North Melbourne over other clubs. A level playing field....but some clubs are more level than others I guess.

North vs Geelong - going for Geelong as they haven't been given extra millions from the AFL.

Port vs Fremantle - Port...another club the AFL has invested in with extra millions. I hope the AFL funding stops this year for Port now that they are a bona fide finals team or do they wait until Port wins the flag and then pull the plug on the funding? Port have been in the finals 9 out of 18 previous seasons 50% - which is better than the majority of the teams out there...but the AFL is still providing extra funding. Going for Fremantle. A non-funded AFL club.

Yeah, that would be "good for the game" and help to justify the millions that the AFL have given North Melbourne over other clubs. A level playing field....but some clubs are more level than others I guess.

North vs Geelong - going for Geelong as they haven't been given extra millions from the AFL.

Port vs Fremantle - Port...another club the AFL has invested in with extra millions. I hope the AFL funding stops this year for Port now that they are a bona fide finals team or do they wait until Port wins the flag and then pull the plug on the funding? Port have been in the finals 9 out of 18 previous seasons 50% - which is better than the majority of the teams out there...but the AFL is still providing extra funding. Going for Fremantle. A non-funded AFL club.

Geelong has received millions from the AFL as well as the state and federal governments to develop their stadium. They have been handed a huge advantage over the other Victorian clubs.

Geelong has received millions from the AFL as well as the state and federal governments to develop their stadium. They have been handed a huge advantage over the other Victorian clubs.

Fair point...but most clubs - including Carlton - have been given funds to develop their stadiums. What I have an issue with is the millions handed out in extra funding just as part of a dividend.

Port have been a successful team over the last 15 years - 1 flag, plenty of finals, rarely down the bottom of the ladder, and a great new stadium.

Carlton, in contrast, haven't had such success - so why doesn't Carlton get extra funding in preference to Port? If the idea of "equalisation" is to push the bottom teams up the ladder, then surely Carlton deserves more funding than Port.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/grants-increase-port-rescue-deal-to-14m-20110630-1gt27.html

Basically, I am not buying into the Port Adelaide lovefest.

Demetriou...

'Football in South Australia needs two strong clubs in Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows competing strongly on the national stage, and the AFL competition wants both teams to have every chance to bring success to their supporters.''
Why does football "need" a strong Port Adelaide or Adelaide any more than it needs a strong Carlton?
Seems like there is a lot of love generated to certain teams and not others.

Last edited:
Fair point...but most clubs - including Carlton - have been given funds to develop their stadiums. What I have an issue with is the millions handed out in extra funding just as part of a dividend.

Port have been a successful team over the last 15 years - 1 flag, plenty of finals, rarely down the bottom of the ladder, and a great new stadium.

Carlton, in contrast, haven't had such success - so why doesn't Carlton get extra funding in preference to Port? If the idea of "equalisation" is to push the bottom teams up the ladder, then surely Carlton deserves more funding than Port.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/grants-increase-port-rescue-deal-to-14m-20110630-1gt27.html

Basically, I am not buying into the Port Adelaide lovefest.

Demetriou...

'Football in South Australia needs two strong clubs in Port Adelaide and the Adelaide Crows competing strongly on the national stage, and the AFL competition wants both teams to have every chance to bring success to their supporters.''
Why does football "need" a strong Port Adelaide or Adelaide any more than it needs a strong Carlton?
Seems like there is a lot of love generated to certain teams and not others.
agreed. I want to know how we work out a plan to get visy up and running again for some home games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back