Preview Preliminary final - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide, MCG, 20 September 2014 @ 4.45pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of people thinking Suckers is soft and shirks it. He must have amazing photo evidence on Clarko because he doesn't play guys that don't go when it's their tun. We have replaced a battle hardened inside player with a quickish, line breaker. Against a side that spreads hard both ways. #whodathunkit

This Team of ours has the talent, discipline, and experience to win the next two games by over 5 goals each game.

This is why I will be watching with a calm curiosity...

We are blessed to be on the ride of our lives; personally, this period in time will gain richness as the decades roll on.

Couldn't agree anymore. It's as if you read my mind mate.

We are the envoy of many. Just to be in the position to win back to back is a position many clubs would only dream of at present.

Win or lose GF if we get there, this is one of the BEST Hawks sides for literally decades. And it will go down as such.

And to quote: "The future is so bright I gotta wear shades".

Seeing the outrage over the suckling decision shows that a few of us are a bit edgy about the result.

I like that we didn't rush Rioli back in. Would have been a bit of a panic signal I reckon.

Exactly. Suckling fills a need - provides another outlet that Port need to worry about. I like the move (after thinking about it a bit). Basically backs us to win the clearances then assumes that at least one of our outlets will get off the hook - Port can't tag Birch/Suckling/Hill/Smith AND whoever else is there at the contest- at least not without significantly affecting their own structure.

It's the move of a team confident in our strengths.

From what Hinkley has been saying Port are going to come out attacking - which should be good news for us as people forget that while we attack, most of our players run both ways, which you can't say about Port.

Good to see a few cooler heads this morning regarding Sewell's omission. I think it's pretty simple that the club is trying to put the best possible team on the park that gives us the best chance of winning tomorrow. Unfortunately, given Port's penchant for pace, Sewell does not fit the strategy. Weigh up the fact that we have Hale & Ceglar as our rucks, compared to just Lobbe and pinch hitting from Westhoff/Trengrove and you can see that we start to look a little slow if we also took in Sewell.

Clarko evidently believes we have enough inside power with Mitchell, Lewis, Shiels, Langford etc to beat Port, so we need to cover the outside better. Suckling gives us more pace and drive off half back and along the wing.

Edit: I also think that Suckling shirking contests is greatly exaggerated on these forums. Yes defensively he is not the best, his tackles can be an issue but when it has been Suckling's turn to put his body on his line... he has this year.

I got a feeling the side that has the highest score at full time should win :D

tumblr_mdueizRj7k1rtr3kno1_1280.jpg

Edit: I also think that Suckling shirking contests is greatly exaggerated on these forums. Yes defensively he is not the best, his tackles can be an issue but when it has been Suckling's turn to put his body on his line... he has this year.
stuff body on the line sh1t .. as long as he plays in positions where he can use the weapon and be a danger to the scoreboard, it'll be enough - i just dont think the back line is the best area for him unless he is 100% playing unaccountable

Such a predictable response.

How can they drop that warrior Sewelly for that squib Suckling. :rolleyes:.

If you honestly can't see the reasoning behind it, well you clearly need to watch closer. We are coming up against one of the best running teams in the league. They cut teams up with their speed and spread. We need to be able to counter that, Suckling is better suited to counter that than Sewell.

Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Langford is enough to combat Ports inside mids.

More disappointed that Cyril didn't get (can see the reasoning behind it though). Also disappointed that McEvoy didn't get selected. Has completely dominated the VFL, whilst Ceglar has been solid without being outstanding.

The Hun doesn't seem to have their 'Expert' tips up on their site - anyone know the general thinking? Team & margin?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it was Freo this Saturday, Sewell would be playing. Right move against Port, and not risking Rioli as well.

We only need the bare minimum inside players to play against Port, as that is how they play. With just enough players to get a clearance, and their wingman move to the outside almost from the centre bounce, and start that aggressive running style. Clarkson won't be sucked into this tactic like other coaches have been.

Suckling on the outside to hopefully counter attack against Port? Hope it works.

Making big calls regarding Sewell and Rioli and not letting reputations get in the way is exactly why this club is so successful.

Such a predictable response.

How can they drop that warrior Sewelly for that squib Suckling. :rolleyes:.

If you honestly can't see the reasoning behind it, well you clearly need to watch closer. We are coming up against one of the best running teams in the league. They cut teams up with their speed and spread. We need to be able to counter that, Suckling is better suited to counter that than Sewell.

Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Burgoyne, Langford is enough to combat Ports inside mids.

More disappointed that Cyril didn't get (can see the reasoning behind it though). Also disappointed that McEvoy didn't get selected. Has completely dominated the VFL, whilst Ceglar has been solid without being outstanding.

Good post, agree with everything other than McEvoy, he has been very good in the VFL and Ceglar has played his role at senior level but Sewell was dropped for lack and pace and spread and this is the exact same reason why Ceglar has been chosen over McEvoy, ability to cover the ground.

Suppose it's too much to ask for it to be all over by half time

Not at all CP..

i feel we are a better team than Port, we have the knowledge of the ground, we have superstars all over the ground and when we tackle we make sure it sticks. Comon hawks i more game to abother granny.
upload_2014-9-19_11-43-19.jpeg

The Hun doesn't seem to have their 'Expert' tips up on their site - anyone know the general thinking? Team & margin?
24 tipped the Hawks, most by 3-4 goals but a handful by less than a goal.
5 plus the Kiss of Death tipped Port. Three by 1 point, 1 by 4 points, 1 by 5 points.
So the thinking is Hawks by 60+

24 tipped the Hawks, most by 3-4 goals but a handful by less than a goal.
5 plus the Kiss of Death tipped Port. Three by 1 point, 1 by 4 points, 1 by 5 points.
So the thinking is Hawks by 60+

Better than the purple haze from last year. From memory 18 of the 20 tipped the Dockers.

Hawthorn are 1.33 while Port have closed into 3.50 with the TAB. I expect we'll push out to 1.40 by game day and Port into 3.10 (we are clearly unders in this game)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back