List Mgmt. We Got Him! Beams Trade Discussion (Not the Hype Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Serious post. Deserves a serious response.

Firstly, we'd want change out of that. If Aish was in this draft he'd go in the top two, most likely. So think of it as trading two top 5 picks, plus a year's development. I reckon we'd need the Crows or Magpies first rounder back from that.

Secondly, the incentives don't really work for you guys. If Dangerfield is keen to come to Collingwood, why not just wait twelve months and make your pitch when he's a RFA?

Finally, I reckon we will fight hard to keep Aish. While Beams would be a huge get for us, at our stage of development it doesn't make a lot of sense to trade away hugely promising 18 year olds.
Correct on every score.

Preferred, he'll still go to the Gold Coast if they offer more than you.
Not if he wants to win a Premiership. I'm sure he remembers the terrible mistake Buckley made leaving Brisbane. ;)

IMO, either pick 4 or Aish are the centrepiece of this trade. My preference is definitely to keep Aish.

Then it becomes what else we offer. At a minimum, it might need to be a Crisp or Lester type. At most, it is Leuenberger or our second rounder.

I really don't think pick 4 is enough. I hope I am wrong but a contracted Beams is surely worth more than a high draft pick.

Particularly in this draft. And particularly if Melbourne get tier A compensation.

It gets real hard though beyond that. Collingwood have to convince someone to leave, and most of our desirable players are contracted for a while.

It'll be pick 4 + that is for sure IMO. Not sure what else we will offer or can offer though.
Nick Maxwell quoted "So I would say he is worth a top five pick, given you actually have to develop these guys to get them to where Beams already is."

Pick 4 by itself should get the deal done. It's a whole new ball game now. Maybe we might chuck in a fringe player as a sweetener to speed up the trade.

Preferred, he'll still go to the Gold Coast if they offer more than you.

Not necessarily. If we're offering substantially more cash than GC could it's likely that "preferred" suddenly becomes "only" if push comes to shove - Beams has veto rights on any trade as well.

Nick Maxwell quoted "So I would say he is worth a top five pick, given you actually have to develop these guys to get them to where Beams already is."

Pick 4 by itself should get the deal done. It's a whole new ball game now. Maybe we might chuck in a fringe player as a sweetener to speed up the trade.
Merrett!

In relation to Aish if I was at a club that had already some young talent in Rockliff, Hanley, Rich and Redden which were about to enter into their prime and then add to that the collection of 10 or so highly rated juniors that will be best 22 soon and two top flight players of the comp wanted to come here. Would you be leaving?

There seems to be this view that trades are done via a bidding war. I can't think the last time two clubs were in a trade bidding war against each other. They might compete for the player's affections but the departure club has little to do with it.

It is far more common that a player firstly nominates a destination location and, either simultaneously or subsequently, nominates his club of choice.

Meanwhile, the club losing the player makes noises about playing hard ball and making sure they get the best possible offer before eventually realising that they are ****ed and look to get best value out of a shitty situation.

Surely you guys cant have Ryder and Beams!!!
Get the Beams deal done so we can have Ryder :D
Yeah, you guys need a break at the trade table. Getting Ebert, Polec etc for unders must really hurt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ you forget that it's normally their draft position - 10 spots. So maybe our third rounder is more realistic?

Best tweet from a pies fan so far. Pick 8 + beams for Gary Ablett!

Many seem to have jumped to beams to Queensland something to Adelaide and dangerfield to pies.

Seriously for us to give up anything more than 4+22 or 4+fringe player (Lester, crisp, etc) would be crazy.

Even the above has the potential to be weighted in pies favour. We get 150 games out of beams (at AA level) they get maybe 200+ games of potential a grade out of 4 and say 100 games out of Lester.

Meanwhile, the club losing the player makes noise about playing hard ball and making sure they get the best possible offer before eventually realising that they are ****** and look to get best value out of a shitty situation.

As we know all so well POBT.

So your lot could potentially land Beams and Ryder, and have Rich come back from his injury for next season? That'd make for a hell of a leap up the ladder, one would think. Not that it'll necessarily happen, but geeeez.

So your lot could potentially land Beams and Ryder, and have Rich come back from his injury for next season? That'd make for a hell of a leap up the ladder, one would think. Not that it'll necessarily happen, but geeeez.

Amazing how quickly things can change isn't it?

Doubt we'll land both, but even the idea of it being spoken about is a welcome change from last year's trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back