Mega Thread Buckley coaching mega thread volume II

Remove this Banner Ad

The new coach that comes will we have a heap of talent to work with, its up to the board when enough is enough. Hopefully a full coaching review and tough decisions get made if we have another poor year in 2015.
Depends how long Buckley is around for, next thing you know 1-2 of the kids want to go back to S.A for family reasons yes we just signed them but give it a year or two.

The new coach that comes will we have a heap of talent to work with, its up to the board when enough is enough. Hopefully a full coaching review and tough decisions get made if we have another poor year in 2015.
Depends how long Buckley is around for, next thing you know 1-2 of the kids want to go back to S.A for family reasons yes we just signed them but give it a year or two.

How many players recruited under Bucks have left so far?
Bucks is yet to recruit a senior player of note. Lots of c grade rubbish that couldn't get a game with a top 4 club that's all. He's got a few in the draft but we had to give premiership players to get them and who knows if they will even stick around long enough for Buckley to get them in their prime.

What you should be worrying about is our fitness staff and medical team - they have a far greater potential impact on our success than Buckley alone.
It is an incontrovertible fact that if they had done their jobs well this year, we would have made the 8, and this thread would not be 78 pages long.
We had no more injuries than other teams out there when we lost to the dogs and GC who didn't have a bench in the last quarter and lost their best player half way through the game. What was the injury excuse for those two particular games?

Bucks is yet to recruit a senior player of note. Lots of c grade rubbish that couldn't get a game with a top 4 club that's all. He's got a few in the draft but we had to give premiership players to get them and who knows if they will even stick around long enough for Buckley to get them in their prime.
I give up. You can't reason with people who ignore facts. Ignored!

We had no more injuries than other teams out there when we lost to the dogs and GC who didn't have a bench in the last quarter and lost their best player half way through the game. What was the injury excuse for those two particular games?

We had far more injuries than almost all other clubs for the SEASON - that's the point sport.

If you wish to fixate on 2 games as costing us the season. Then why not just pick out the 'culprits' in these game and suggest that they caused our bad season, and that dumping them will save us - because that's effectively what your inane post is implying.

I give up. You can't reason with people who ignore facts. Ignored!

How many senior players of NOTE did Clarkson, Thompson or MM recruit in their first 3 years?
Ultimately picking and developing talent was the key to their to success during this time.
Buckley will recruit the players of NOTE at the right time as did the coaches above.

Buckley will be one out as the coach next year under the most public pressure with McKenna getting sacked.
There is no hiding for him now.

I say back bucks - we have lost a ton of experience, personnel and have had locker room rumblings. Would like to see an example of a club with the level of turnover that we have had do as well as we have. We only just missed finals and at the half way point were top 4! have faith people

How many senior players of NOTE did Clarkson, Thompson or MM recruit in their first 3 years?
Ultimately picking and developing talent was the key to their to success during this time.
Buckley will recruit the players of NOTE at the right time as did the coaches above.
It has taken me time but I have come to the conclusion that we have some people on this board whose opinions I no longer want to read. They fall into two categories, those who are the ultimate pessimists and for whom the sky is always falling, (I can only hope they seek the help they obviously need.) and those who are not actually supporters of the club. I'm not suggesting they are necessarily supporters of other clubs even if that wouldn't surprise me but they clearly have an agenda which allows them to consistently put arguments which ignore the facts. It doesn't matter how many times the facts get put to them they will continue to post the same illogical drivel. I hate using ignore because it sometimes removes context from threads but if I keep reading that crap it might be me throwing myself off a bridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say back bucks - we have lost a ton of experience, personnel and have had locker room rumblings. Would like to see an example of a club with the level of turnover that we have had do as well as we have. We only just missed finals and at the half way point were top 4! have faith people

Yep I hate clubs who get a coach start a rebuild then fold 2 years into it not allowing that coach to see it through.

Any rebuild takes a min of 4 years to see results we realistically are in year 2.

Yep I hate clubs who get a coach start a rebuild then fold 2 years into it not allowing that coach to see it through.

Any rebuild takes a min of 4 years to see results we realistically are in year 2.
I think we got a bit caught up in the whole 2010 experience and just feel its going to happen every year. We all need to step back and assess where we are placed now, lets enjoy the ride! #floreatpica

He's the next in line now out of all the senior coaches. Performance based industry.

Wrong there are a couple coaches ijn the firing line, Buckley will be under pressure externally but I hop lets him finish his 2 year contract and not bow to the public pressure.

Bomber Thompson took 7 years to get it right at Geelong in 2006 he was a dead man walking all and sundry wanted him sacked and he was actually saved by the skin of his teeth.

Mouldy Malty was another who took 10 years to get a flag and even then it took a draw and a fortunate bounce of the ball to seal the deal.

Took Sheedy 7 years to rebuild his then youngest flag side 93 baby bombers back to glory in 2000.

Endless examples.

Hawks 08 team was also young and set for dynasty hit a road bump rebuilt and actually semi saw it come to fruition 5 years later.

s**t takes time, we need to man the fc#k up, stop, eat some concrete and most of all be patient.

It has taken me time but I have come to the conclusion that we have some people on this board whose opinions I no longer want to read. They fall into two categories, those who are the ultimate pessimists and for whom the sky is always falling, (I can only hope they seek the help they obviously need.) and those who are not actually supporters of the club. I'm not suggesting they are necessarily supporters of other clubs even if that wouldn't surprise me but they clearly have an agenda which allows them to consistently put arguments which ignore the facts. It doesn't matter how many times the facts get put to them they will continue to post the same illogical drivel. I hate using ignore because it sometimes removes context from threads but if I keep reading that crap it might be me throwing myself off a bridge.

This new system on BF makes it hard to follow quoted posts.
I think we are agreed that TG is ignoring the facts. My post you quoted above was directed at him re his 'players of Note" comment and NOT you.
Sorry for the confusion.

Wrong there are a couple coaches ijn the firing line, Buckley will be under pressure externally but I hop lets him finish his 2 year contract and not bow to the public pressure.

Bomber Thompson took 7 years to get it right at Geelong in 2006 he was a dead man walking all and sundry wanted him sacked and he was actually saved by the skin of his teeth.

Mouldy Malty was another who took 10 years to get a flag and even then it took a draw and a fortunate bounce of the ball to seal the deal.

Took Sheedy 7 years to rebuild his then youngest flag side 93 baby bombers back to glory in 2000.

Endless examples.

Hawks 08 team was also young and set for dynasty hit a road bump rebuilt and actually semi saw it come to fruition 5 years later.

s**t takes time, we need to man the fc#k up, stop, eat some concrete and most of all be patient.
100% true - great post. We need to be patient, plenty of change happening yes the injuries are frustrating but at least the boys aren't being under trained anymore. Just view the first half of this year as a glimpse into the future. The loss of beams hurts but we will be gaining plenty of picks possibly 4 inside the top 30? (maybe more)! lets be positive about the future and the coach - bucks demands professionalism and excellency its no surprise that some players have cracked it individuals are resistant to change.

Endless examples.

Buckley and Malthouse both next in line to be sacked IMO. Anyone you'd have ahead of him?

This new system on BF makes it hard to follow quoted posts.
I think we are agreed that TG is ignoring the facts. My post you quoted above was directed at him re his 'players of Note" comment and NOT you.
Sorry for the confusion.
Not a problem. I think I got that so there was no confusion. I just thought I'd take the opportunity to explain why I have decided it's time to start using ignore. You do get very tired of reminding certain people of the facts when they are consistent in repeating the same ignorant crap all the time.

Serious question/discussion. Do you think Buckley will be the next Collingwood premiership coach?

I don't think he will, but that is not to say that a premiership won't eventuate after he is gone - due to the work that he has done.

This is my reasons:
  • After success (relative) in 2002 & 2003 we experienced the down years of 2004 & 2005.
  • During 2004 & 2005 we stocked up on talent.
  • However it was not until 2010 that we actually won a premiership.
  • We are running at about a 20 years between premierships, but let's say it takes about 5-6 years at a minimum from trough to peak to win a premiership.
  • While 2014 was bad, I think many would suggest that we are trending down (rather than up) and we haven't hit the bottom yet.
  • So, if we haven't hit bottom yet, it would mean that Buckley would have to be coach for nearly 10 years before the team is ready to compete.
Will the board and supporters have enough patience for the next 6-7 years before the team is in a position to win a premiership? I would suggest that they don't have that level of patience. Malthouse was different, he got an extension because of the deal with Buckley, but had that deal not been done, he wouldn't have been given those extra years and would have been out - and he was a 2 x premiership coach at the time!

The other factor that people aren't taking into consideration, is that Eddie won't be president forever. It's quite possible that Eddie will finish up soon and a new president (and board) decide to pull the pin.

I would have loved for the succession plan to have been a raging success - just to shove it up other clubs' supporters if anything - but I just don't see it happening now.

Buckley and Malthouse both next in line to be sacked IMO. Anyone you'd have ahead of him?

B.Scott if the Paw Paw Roos (see what i did there:D) fail to make finals won't see 2016 as a head coach.

D.Hardwick under serious heat to not only make finals by the skin of his teeth but actually win a few.

McCartney only needs a bad year at the Kennel and they will chop his head off, started going up a year of regression will see him hang being that it is year 3.

Leon Cameron at the end of next year will also come under heat if GWS fail to improve.

Then we have wing nut Hird who may be sacked shortly.

MM will likely get fisted by end of next year too.

Ah well I guess if you're right we will have a heap of ex head coaches interviewing.

Serious question/discussion. Do you think Buckley will be the next Collingwood premiership coach?

I don't think he will, but that is not to say that a premiership won't eventuate after he is gone - due to the work that he has done.

This is my reasons:
  • After success (relative) in 2002 & 2003 we experienced the down years of 2004 & 2005.
  • During 2004 & 2005 we stocked up on talent.
  • However it was not until 2010 that we actually won a premiership.
  • We are running at about a 20 years between premierships, but let's say it takes about 5-6 years at a minimum from trough to peak to win a premiership.
  • While 2014 was bad, I think many would suggest that we are trending down (rather than up) and we haven't hit the bottom yet.
  • So, if we haven't hit bottom yet, it would mean that Buckley would have to be coach for nearly 10 years before the team is ready to compete.
Will the board and supporters have enough patience for the next 6-7 years before the team is in a position to win a premiership? I would suggest that they don't have that level of patience. Malthouse was different, he got an extension because of the deal with Buckley, but had that deal not been done, he wouldn't have been given those extra years and would have been out - and he was a 2 x premiership coach at the time!

The other factor that people aren't taking into consideration, is that Eddie won't be president forever. It's quite possible that Eddie will finish up soon and a new president (and board) decide to pull the pin.

I would have loved for the succession plan to have been a raging success - just to shove it up other clubs' supporters if anything - but I just don't see it happening now.

Malthouse was different because the club didn't listen to outside influence if they had MM would of been gone after 06.

The question is how are we judging Buckley the coach? Are we comparing him to Mick? Most of the time yes it seems that way. If we are then can we apply some balance to it & see how long it took Mick to win a flag? How long did it take Mick to win 3 flags? Is that a fair comparison?

Are we comparing Buckley to the current rookie coaches with less than 5 yrs experience? Hinkley has done better, so has Chris Scott & Longmire. But more than half of the batch of his year have been sacked, or are struggling. So does that make him more successful or less?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back