Frawley to Join Hawks. (Pick 3 to the Dees)

Remove this Banner Ad

There are threads which explain this.
You can offer a player 10% less than they are worth and the COLA brings their wage back up to what they are worth.
Do this across the entire list and you end up with 1mil spare to use however you wish.
Again... threads aren't really a trustworthy source are they?

well, apparently you can blame the hawks for frawley choosing them o_O
Cant blame them Hardon still a little bit bitter after you guys going Back to Back!

Swans Player A gets $500k in his bank account each year. $450k goes in the cap, player B gets $400k in his bank, $360 counts in the cap............

Hawks Player A gets $500k in his bank account each year. $500k goes in the cap, player B gets $400k in his bank, $400k counts in the cap...............

Swans players get $10mil in bank, $9mil count in cap, leaving $1mil to spend.

Hawks players get $10mil in bank, $10mil count in cap, leaving $0 to spend.

It would cost the Hawks $1mil more in cap space to sign the same 40 players as Sydney and pay them the exact same amount inot their bank account each week. Whatever way you spin thats what it comes down to.
...source...

Never seen so much overreaction in my life. Frawley finished 8th in the Dees best and fairest, he'll be a solid player but it's not like the Hawks just recruited a superstar. Relax.

I agree. A lot of excitement for a bloke who has underperformed for a long time. That said, for 450k it's probably worth the risk.

With Frawley reportedly getting only $450K a year, will this push down the compensation for Melbourne?

That will be interesting. On that figure Melbourne look set for an end of first round pick.
But on face value the reigning premiers just stole their best KP backman.
If the AFL give an end of first rounder, I don't even know how they could justify free agency with a straight face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frawley nominating the Hawks is great news for clubs in regards to their first round picks. If he was going to Fremantle (being a WA club) or a lower ranked club who had to heavily overpay to lure him over, it would more than likely push him into band 1 territory and drop everyone's picks 1 spot accordingly. The Hawks coming off a premiership are just not going to shell out a 600-700K 5+ year contract for a good key defender. He is coming for a nice salary of around 450 - 500K and to be in a winning team around great players, so Hawks will get that discount.

Will be band 2 and that's a pretty fair result instead of getting overs like pick 3 for a guy leaving as a FA. The important thing to note is that it isn't supposed to be exact compensation a players worth for losing a guy, just some compensation so teams don't get too hurt by losing a FA.

This is coming from a Dogs supporter who watched Melbourne get two 1st round picks for Scully while we got one for Ward :oops:

Not sure what all the fuss is about. Has Frawley played a decent game in the past 4 years? Feel sad for him that he is going to a Club about to commence its slide, with its best players about to face mortality and very little quality below. But I guess anything is better than staying at Melbourne.

Clearly when the deal was made you missed out on the "AFL audited the deal" and also where's your source for all this? You're just assuming things... I just told you they can't use the extra million they have to dedicate to 1 player! EACH player get an extra 9.8%.
My source for what? For the fact that in order for Sydney to be able to fit in Buddy's monster salary they had to trade/let go the likes of Mumford, Lamb, Everitt and co., because they wouldn't have been able to fit in all their salaries? As if I need a source for that, everyone knows that that is the case! It's just common sense, although I'm sure Sydney would have stated it at some point in the media as well.

I just told you they can't use the extra million they have to dedicate to 1 player!
I'm very well aware of that, I said earlier that they have an extra 10% to pay everyone individually on their list
EACH player get an extra 9.8%.
Exactly and when added up it comes to around $1million extra that Sydney have to play with than all the non-Sydney teams. If Sydney didn't have COLA they would have around $1million less to play with overall and if that was the case how the hell do you reckon they would have fitted Buddy's monster contract in? Everyone at the club would have to have taken a 10% pay cut, or else you would have to have traded out 3 others who were on something like $300,000-$400,000 each per year, to be able to fit Buddy's salary into the $1million lower overall cap.

And you reckon I'm the one who doesn't understand this?

They're a fair bit different though really.

Hawthorn was one of many possible destinations for Frawley, they didn't do anything spectacular (other than be a really good club) in order to get him to sign there.

Sydney got Buddy because 10 MILLION DOLLARS.
Here I was thinking Sydney got Buddy because Buddy went to them and asked to join them after the 2012 GF?

My source for what? For the fact that in order for Sydney to be able to fit in Buddy's monster salary they had to trade/let go the likes of Mumford, Lamb, Everitt and co., because they wouldn't have been able to fit in all their salaries? As if I need a source for that, everyone knows that that is the case! It's just common sense, although I'm sure Sydney would have stated it at some point in the media as well.

I'm very well aware of that, I said earlier that they have an extra 10% to pay everyone individually on their listExactly and when added up it comes to around $1million extra that Sydney have to play with than all the non-Sydney teams. If Sydney didn't have COLA they would have around $1million less to play with overall and if that was the case how the hell do you reckon they would have fitted Buddy's monster contract in? Everyone at the club would have to have taken a 10% pay cut, or else you would have to have traded out 3 others who were on something like $300,000-$400,000 each per year, to be able to fit Buddy's salary into the $1million lower overall cap.

And you reckon I'm the one who doesn't understand this?
How am I supposed to explain this when you keep going on in loops? Ofc. I don't want sources for the swans delisting players to fit in buddy. But I want sources for how the swans can play around with the $1 Million apparently they have in extra? Where is your proof of this, this is ludicrous, anyone can make these claims.

It's is not the same. We LOST a player and gained 1 b grader. You gained 2 A graders. Quite a difference

We lost Bradshaw and a number of other players and recruited Tippett.

You lost Buddy and gained McEvoy and now seemingly Frawley.

We lost Mumford and a number of other players and recruited Franklin.

Or do you mean to tell me Bradshaw, Mumford, Everitt, Morton, Mattner, Bolton, Lamb, Seaby, etc. etc. are all on Franklin's Hawks' salary combined?

Would you prefer Clarke (assuming he's fit and firing) or Frawley?

I'd say whilst Frawley is the better player currently I think Clark can provide the foil for Hawkins that Geelong desperately need.

Round 1 next year - the big Easter Monday clash - the 2 " Melbourne Superstars " could be opposed to each other - Clark CHF - Geel- Frawley CHB- Hawthorn

For what it is worth - all bias aside - if Clark gets 100% fit ( overcomes the foot injury) - i think he is the more talented player - not convinced about Frawley - think hes another Tippett - Overrated

So how much of a Swans players $500k total pay counts in the Swans salary cap ?

If he's on a 500k salary it'll count 500k towards our cap. He'll then be paid 9.8% on top of that contract by the AFL outside our salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back