Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Knightmare . Thanks very much for all of your posting, in a seriously interesting thread!

Could you please give me your take on Battersby from last year, who seemed to be highly rated predraft. Also, what is your opinion on Daniel and Eddy from South Adelaide for rookie picks?
Thanks in advance!! :)

Knight if pies end up with laverde Moore and Mckenzie. In the draft that would be great. Do you reckon Mckenzie could come in strait away?

Hi Knightmare . Thanks very much for all of your posting, in a seriously interesting thread!

Could you please give me your take on Battersby from last year, who seemed to be highly rated predraft. Also, what is your opinion on Daniel and Eddy from South Adelaide for rookie picks?
Thanks in advance!! :)

I'm surprised that Battersby has been let go of so quickly. He was productive in the SANFL at League level but perhaps not enough of an x-factor that puts him ahead of others.

Caleb Daniel is terrific and the more I've review his game the more I've liked him. He is well performed at SANFL League level which is a terrific sign he can cope against the bigger bodies. Endurance elite. His skillset/decision making/vision is the best in the draft - not that he is penetrating but just so efficient (91%+ disposal efficiency through the u18 champs). As a rookie I think he's a terrific choice. He could perhaps be a touch more explosive and he isn't going to be a dominant inside player but outside/forward flank he's a strong choice and I feel has a real shot to make it.

Eddy I also like and I've seen a fair bit of him and what he did for Collingwood VFL pre SANFL. I've always enjoyed his play from way back when he first joined Collingwood VFL and he just always seemed that class above the level and like a really good forward. As a rookie if looking for depth he's a strong choice. At Adelaide particularly it's hard to see him playing ahead of Walker/Jenkins who are both terrific but he is clearly in my mind the best key forward outside the AFL and the best option for a club looking for someone who can immediately help.

Knight if pies end up with laverde Moore and Mckenzie. In the draft that would be great. Do you reckon Mckenzie could come in strait away?

McKenzie won't be able to help right away, no key forward really has in recent times (even Hawkins who was a monster and more dominant again as a junior struggled early), but I'd love to have R.McKenzie at Collingwood. His play late season when played as a permanent forward was the best by position in the u18s and only in that latter period of the year (July onward) did he lose the one matchup - to Hugh Beasley who pretty much in the TAC Cup is the best stopper.

Duggan while I don't label him a midfielder, he has spend much time on the ball this year and while I class him as a utility due to his versatility many see him more a midfielder.
You have Langford going to Richmond, not Duggan

Km, whats Hugh Goddard like as a defender his highlights are of him playing forward?

Goddard is much better suited to back. Terrific stopper - you can feel the influence of his guy decrease noticeably when he picks someone up. But then also is an improving intercept mark/1v1mark/rebounder from the back half with pretty good pace/footskills. He looks really comfortable down back and can have a really strong long term career in the back half.

In the front half. I'm just not seeing it. Not dominant enough and I've seen enough to know I don't like it.

Hi KM, long time reader. So Hugh Beasley, that sounds like a big tick? What is his story and why overlooked last year?

A 190cm negating key defender doesn't tend to tickle anyones fancy and it didn't AFL clubs last year. This year he seems to have a better balance - still beating his guy every week (not many guys kick goals on him or if so generally not more than 1-2) but also finding more of the ball himself and being more involved offensively - that's largely the theme my bio when I get around to creating it will revolve around with Beasley assuming I keep him inside my top 50.

The height is still limiting and makes him not ideal, particularly with taller key forwards than we've ever seen coming through, but even today we see 191/192cm key defenders still beat the taller key forwards, just with their strength holding their own in the contest and staying with them on the lead and at ground level pretty well.

I wouldn't pick Beasley in the national draft. Rookie draft? Sure. When you're that dominant at what you do and continuing to improve and add new things to your game, it's possible to have a career at AFL level.

I'm surprised that Battersby has been let go of so quickly. He was productive in the SANFL at League level but perhaps not enough of an x-factor that puts him ahead of others.

Caleb Daniel is terrific and the more I've review his game the more I've liked him. He is well performed at SANFL League level which is a terrific sign he can cope against the bigger bodies. Endurance elite. His skillset/decision making/vision is the best in the draft - not that he is penetrating but just so efficient (91%+ disposal efficiency through the u18 champs). As a rookie I think he's a terrific choice. He could perhaps be a touch more explosive and he isn't going to be a dominant inside player but outside/forward flank he's a strong choice and I feel has a real shot to make it.

Eddy I also like and I've seen a fair bit of him and what he did for Collingwood VFL pre SANFL. I've always enjoyed his play from way back when he first joined Collingwood VFL and he just always seemed that class above the level and like a really good forward. As a rookie if looking for depth he's a strong choice. At Adelaide particularly it's hard to see him playing ahead of Walker/Jenkins who are both terrific but he is clearly in my mind the best key forward outside the AFL and the best option for a club looking for someone who can immediately help.

McKenzie won't be able to help right away, no key forward really has in recent times (even Hawkins who was a monster and more dominant again as a junior struggled early), but I'd love to have R.McKenzie at Collingwood. His play late season when played as a permanent forward was the best by position in the u18s and only in that latter period of the year (July onward) did he lose the one matchup - to Hugh Beasley who pretty much in the TAC Cup is the best stopper.
Thank you

Thank you
Hey dogs105 as a swans supporter and follower want to keep Beasley under radar as understudy to Grundy and Richards
just found out he won best clubman at Oakleigh for 2014 and 4th in B and F, quiet rookie will be fine for us per KM. Go Swans.

Last edited:
I know they are called the giants and one has gone(Boyd) but that ridiculous to have that many key forwards

No. What's ridiculous is that you Dogs didn't have any for years then pay a lumbering rookie $7m. So you probably don't know how it works. We like to play two.
We have Cameron as 1, 2 was Patton who is out for most of the season. 3rd was Boyd who is gone - good riddance.
We have Stewart and McCarthy who are raw.
We also need ruck relief for Mummy because he is crucial and Giles our backup was traded. So we need Wright for that role and McCartin for KPF2.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey KM
Do you think that Menadue will be available for the blues at pick 19 ?Would love him at Carlton

My player comparisons are on page one. I see most of the players a little differently to that as different positions/styles of players. Of those probably Marchbank and McKenzie is the closer comparison but the others I would think of others first.

Bontempelli can play through the midfield, win more of his own ball, has the more damaging skillset and is on another level when the ball hits the ground. Langford is good but not Bontempelli, not that it is clear anyone specifically in this draft will be better than Bontempelli.

I would wager that Petracca will be. I seriously rate Bonts too.

KM

Would you see Menadue also forming part of that group. I see you have now moved him to 14?

I don't think Menadue is so highly regarded in clubland. Other than that final his play while exciting hasn't been as frequently impactful.

I imagine he'll go somewhere roughly 2nd round.

Hey KM
Do you think that Menadue will be available for the blues at pick 19 ?Would love him at Carlton

I think Menadue will be available. Very exciting talent. Not a sure thing but the wow-factor is there and if he develops as hoped, he could really be special.

I hear the Suns are pretty keen on Connor Blakely Knightmare. What AFL player's style do you liken him to?
maybe check page 1 bud? :cool::rolleyes:

never mind, i took the liberty of doing it for you

24. Connor Blakely (WA – Mid) Height: 186cm, Weight: 81kg, DOB: 03/02/1996
Recruited from: Swan Districts
Draft range: 15-40Best position/role: Midfield – on the ball.
Strengths: Inside game – Showed through the U18 Championships excellent inside ability winning the contested ball, winning the clearances, reading the ruck taps well to get first hand on it, tackling strongly and moving evasively in traffic which has allowed him substantial time and space in traffic to use the ball efficiently. He gives the second and third efforts inside. Typically Blakely is someone who hits the ball at speed which gives him in traffic a feeling in traffic of explosiveness. Season one ready – Has performed and performed strongly against men at senior WAFL league level and has coped well against the stronger bodies which suggests that he can make the transition to playing from season one at AFL level.
Evasive movement in traffic – His real athletic gift that pops out at you is his explosive ability to sidestep that he uses in traffic. With his explosive sidestep he can effectively create significant time and space for himself to dispose of the ball effectively by hand and foot which particularly when playing on the ball greatly helps his disposal efficiency. He also uses quick, small steps brilliantly and frequently in traffic to also create time and space for himself as with those smaller steps he can change direction more quickly, allowing for that creation of space.
Skillset – Blakely is an efficient user of the footy. By hand he inside the contest can work effectively as an inside extractor finding the outside runners or creating space to get a clear pass off by hand to a target in more space. By foot he will look in general play to work into space before kicking, executing his kicks to a target when he has the time and space to deliver. He has good vision finding the best the targets in best position, making good decisions and shows a willingness when he has time with ball in hand to lower his eyes and find the best targets. He also can at times use his opposite side as required. He also when tackled has the strength to release by hand to a target.
Outside game – Blakely while he played as an on-baller through the U18 Championships has relatively good outside ability for an inside player who can also outside the contest get involved in the play but also use it well. Weaknesses:
Pace – Blakely while he has an incredible ability to create space in traffic and to sidestep guys he is not a linebreaker with only average pace and a relative lack of straightline speed.
Ability forward of centre – Blakely can on occasion hit the scoreboard through the midfield but at this stage he is not someone you would put in the forward 50 as someone who is neither a natural crumbing forward or a marking forward for him to be a real threat.
Marking ability – Blakely at this stage can take uncontested marks around the ground but is not a marking threat as some other tall midfielders are. He has clean hands overhead but not strong or sticky hands. On the lead Blakely with limited straight-line speed lacks the ability to create separation. Additionally he is no threat to take 1v1 marks or pack marks, limiting his potential to play in the front half. What I expect will improve:I expect Blakely will continue to improve his inside game which is where he has real scope to develop but also at the same time add some further strings to his bow.
Who he can become?Blakely through the midfield reminds me of a poor man’s James Kelly as a similar type of midfielder. When will he be ready to play?Blakely has the ability to play as soon as season one and fit in at AFL level given his WAFL League performance.
How to best utilise him?Blakely is best utilised through the midfield on the ball.
Interpretation of his numbers:Blakely’s numbers through the U18 Championships were excellent as WA’s best midfielder. His disposal numbers were excellent. His contested ball winning, tackle and clearance numbers were all excellent, as was his disposal efficiency by position. His numbers at WAFL league level have been excellent similarly demonstrating strong disposal and tackle numbers against men suggesting he is capable of playing at AFL level from season one.

I hear the Suns are pretty keen on Connor Blakely Knightmare. What AFL player's style do you liken him to?

People are going to say Pendlebury, but realistically no one in this draft is Pendlebury and Blakely isn't as freakishly evasive.

I liken him more to a James Kelly as a really good midfielder and he has the versatility to play elsewhere if needed. If he becomes something close to Kelly, that's a terrific outcome.

People are going to say Pendlebury, but realistically no one in this draft is Pendlebury and Blakely isn't as freakishly evasive.

I liken him more to a James Kelly as a really good midfielder and he has the versatility to play elsewhere if needed. If he becomes something close to Kelly, that's a terrific outcome.

Thanks mate.

I'm really stuck on who the Pies will take at #5.

I reckon Petracca, Brayshaw and McCartin are the clear top 3 and will go accordingly to Saints and Demons.

Then i reckon the Pies will be super keen to get LaVerde but GWS will know this and LaVerde is perfect for GWS too. Strategically, and because LaVerde is worth it, i have GWS selecting him at #4.

I am then seriously stuck on who Collingwood will then pick. Kinda makes it hard to go ahead with a Phantom lol.

Hine/Rendell....penny for your thoughts?

Since Rendall has been at the Lexus Centre, the Pies have tapped his extensive SA network and gone with Grundy, Kennedy, Broomhead and Scharenburg.

Will they go S.A's Durdin to accompany Moore with the established class of Cloke and Reid?

Can't see them taking Wright, list wise.

#5 seems a bit of a stretch for Wellar, Pickett, Duggan, Langford etc.

Really awkward Draft posi for Hine. Will be a really interesting selection.

I'm really stuck on who the Pies will take at #5.

I reckon Petracca, Brayshaw and McCartin are the clear top 3 and will go accordingly to Saints and Demons.

Melbourne will take Lever with one of their picks.
If Lever is available at 4, with Jacksch & Frost leaving, GWS will take him instead of LaVerde.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back