Review AFL NAB Challenge 1 autopsy - Gold Coast defeats Geelong by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

No injuries. ✓

11025280_812632715440058_6800074526609213518_o.png

geez the clark hawkins combo is gonna go along way to make our year isnt it

i wonder how quickly the youngster will "overtake" smedts and murdoch

blivacs, not sure about where his "ideal" position is

cant see how we can fit in vardy and walker.
play too tall against teams like gc and they will destroy us

who cares about the result today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Preety happy. We ran out a full game.
Clark will be good.
Lang impressive. Cocky really good. Gore and Gregson showed a bit. Blitz good in defence.
Kersten did some things. If we're gonna play 3 tall forwards it might be worth trying Walker instead.
Thought Caddy and Guthrie could of done a fair bit more against such an inexperienced side.
Don't know how to judge Simpson on that.
Murdoch was very underwhelming. He really needs to get involved a lot more.

I know it's only preseason etc etc but kind of worrying how the problems that dogged us last year re-emerged immediately. Poor work around the stoppages, long periods where we couldn't get the ball into forward 50 and difficulty in transitioning the ball deep out of defence. Ball use was subpar, particularly by hand in congestion, and that killed. Also not sure that Bartel and Kelly returning to midfield is a great thing if it means (as it seemed to today) relegating Guthrie to the backline.

Positives: the attention has been on the first year players but I think Lang might be the guy who makes an impact early. He wasn't perfect but he looks composed in traffic and can drift forward as well. Thought Cockatoo was pretty exciting as well, but wouldn't mind him getting an extended run in the VFL before he makes his senior debut. Kolo was solid as well given he often seemed to playing on smaller, faster opponents.

geez the clark hawkins combo is gonna go along way to make our year isnt it

i wonder how quickly the youngster will "overtake" smedts and murdoch

blivacs, not sure about where his "ideal" position is

cant see how we can fit in vardy and walker.
play too tall against teams like gc and they will destroy us

who cares about the result today
Great summary Whit3y!
For sure there are areas to work on + improve. I'm delighted with the performance of the first game kittens! Cockie, Gore, Gregson all contributed + showed guts. Lucey was determined. Stoked that Clark snagged two goals. Kersten Lang was great with two goals. Tomahawk is such a team player, so valuable with his two goals. Bartel most disposals, Duncan was terrific, just so reliable! Motlop has matured, right in the guts.
Hoping today's game instills confidence in the new recruits.

Edit: thanks to YouPickOne

Last edited:
IMO i don't care at whos expense but i just want to see thurlow, bews, lang, kolo, cocky, gore and jansen to play majority of the season :D
Agree + while I'm such a sentimental supporter, we have some fantastic kittens, who shone today + the focus has to be for the future. Bews is great!

I know it's only preseason etc etc but kind of worrying how the problems that dogged us last year re-emerged immediately. Poor work around the stoppages, long periods where we couldn't get the ball into forward 50 and difficulty in transitioning the ball deep out of defence. Ball use was subpar, particularly by hand in congestion, and that killed. Also not sure that Bartel and Kelly returning to midfield is a great thing if it means (as it seemed to today) relegating Guthrie to the backline.

Positives: the attention has been on the first year players but I think Lang might be the guy who makes an impact early. He wasn't perfect but he looks composed in traffic and can drift forward as well. Thought Cockatoo was pretty exciting as well, but wouldn't mind him getting an extended run in the VFL before he makes his senior debut. Kolo was solid as well given he often seemed to playing on smaller, faster opponents.
I thought the worst thing was not being able to get the ball out of their F50. but, when the ball raced back after we DID clear it out, GC were all out on their own and running back toward goal :( Some things haven't changed. We need to work on that.

Agree + while I'm such a sentimental supporter, we have some fantastic kittens, who shone today + the focus has to be for the future. Bews is great!
you see i would love to add smedts to that list, in 2012 he was my 2nd favourite kid at the club but i've lost most hope :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back