Review AFL NAB Challenge 1 autopsy - Gold Coast defeats Geelong by 8 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw enough to know that we have pieces there that will be good for us in time.
Clark certainly has the tools and, while rusty as, snagged the 2 goals and showed whilst off the bike for while, you never forget how to ride.
Lang - you can see the skills.
Kersten - not much action but some nice flashes.
Gore, Gregson, Cocky - all enough seen to know why they were drafted. Futures there.
Kolo - nice moves and you can see the GFC back 6 style.
Luxford - wont get an AFL game this year but will go well in the VFL. Happy to see the progress.
Smedts - Did some nice things but the best things to see effort. He tried very hard. And repeat efforts.

GO Catters

I know it's only preseason etc etc but kind of worrying how the problems that dogged us last year re-emerged immediately. Poor work around the stoppages, long periods where we couldn't get the ball into forward 50 and difficulty in transitioning the ball deep out of defence. Ball use was subpar, particularly by hand in congestion, and that killed. Also not sure that Bartel and Kelly returning to midfield is a great thing if it means (as it seemed to today) relegating Guthrie to the backline.

Positives: the attention has been on the first year players but I think Lang might be the guy who makes an impact early. He wasn't perfect but he looks composed in traffic and can drift forward as well. Thought Cockatoo was pretty exciting as well, but wouldn't mind him getting an extended run in the VFL before he makes his senior debut. Kolo was solid as well given he often seemed to playing on smaller, faster opponents.
I picked that up in a training video a few weeks ago, the coaches must be asleep.

Well, it's time.
Time to join the YPO train.

We are cooked.

Some really, really good signs by kolo, lang, cocka.
Loved how Motlop, Duncan, and cocka tried to 'go' when they had the ball.

But the game plan is complete shyte. Kicking backwards 30 metres. And missing the target by 10 so they go back even further is crap. Its 2006 footy. Maybe even worse. At least in 06 it was just backwards handballs.

And for all the knocking GC get for not being able to play without their skipper.
We missed ours more.

I'll give it til about week 3 of the main season.
But based on game style. 10th.

Thought Cockatoo was pretty exciting as well, but wouldn't mind him getting an extended run in the VFL before he makes his senior debut.
Not so sure about that Jester, the sink or swim approach can be the making of some. Cockie was composed enough today to be given more games + the experience will be the making of him. We really need a player like him. Let's give him a chance.

Great summary Whit3y!
For sure there are areas to work on + improve. I'm delighted with the performance of the first game kittens! Cockie, Gore, Gregson all contributed + showed guts. Lucey was determined. Stoked that Clark snagged two goals. Kersten was great with two goals. Tomahawk is such a team player, so valuable with his two goals. Bartel most disposals, Duncan was terrific, just so reliable! Motlop has matured, right in the guts.
Hoping today's game instills confidence in the new recruits.
If it was true he might have been.:D

Positives:
No injuries.
Lang looked pretty good. Pushing for a round 1 spot.
Clark. Didn't dominate or anything, but he looked to be making good position and made it through the game. Just lacking touch, which is to be expected, and he should be able to work his way into some form after a few games.
Cockatoo, Gregson, Kolodjashnij, Luxford, and Gore all showed signs here and there.
Blicavs was okay down back. Still a lot to learn if he's to play there long-term, but he didn't seem completely out of place. Not sure if I'd put him there in an actual AFL game until he's learned the nuances of the position, though.
Motlop was great. Good to have him up and firing at this stage of the year. Hopefully he can get back to his brilliant best this year.

Negatives:
We lost the game - doesn't matter, but you always like to win.
Was hoping to see a bit more from Caddy and Guthrie.
Smedts, despite his purported great pre-season, didn't do much.
Murdoch continues to contribute very little.
Rucks were completely exposed again. You can certainly forgive Lucey, and he's not going to be playing the real stuff any time soon, but Simpson was dominated for most of the game, too, and at this point of his career, that's really not good enough. It was made pretty clear that Simpson and McIntosh aren't the answer last year. They're neither reliable nor good enough to carry the ruck duties. At some point, the club needs to get serious and recruit a real ruckman, or this will be a sore point for years to come.
Some of the poor characteristics of the game plan over the past few years were once again on display - overuse of the ball, succumbing to forward pressure, giving too much space to the opposition, not applying enough pressure to the opposition, poor use of the ball going inside 50. I was hoping some of the poor habits that had plagued previous seasons might have been worked out during this year's preseason.
Scott was out-coached by Eade, especially in the second quarter. I have little doubt the same thing will happen when we play them in the H&A.

I was happy with the effort shown by some of the kids we haven't seen a lot of. The experienced hands were good, but you'd expect that and perhaps question whether as many of them needed to be out there at this stage of the year in those conditions. Some of the guys who really need to step up this year didn't really do a lot in that game. Not to say that's indicative of how their seasons will be, but it certainly would have been nice to see them have more of a presence.

Well, it's time.
Time to join the YPO train.

We are cooked.

Some really, really good signs by kolo, lang, cocka.
Loved how Motlop, Duncan, and cocka tried to 'go' when they had the ball.

But the game plan is complete shyte. Kicking backwards 30 metres. And missing the target by 10 so they go back even further is crap. Its 2006 footy. Maybe even worse. At least in 06 it was just backwards handballs.

And for all the knocking GC get for not being able to play without their skipper.
We missed ours more.

I'll give it til about week 3 of the main season.
But based on game style. 10th.

Would you care for a wager on that?

Smedts gone ....
Did he actually get caught holding the ball?

Although I didn't like how quickly he released the ball, as least he wasn't getting caught with the new 'stupid' holding the ball rule.

But yes, I was underwhelmed too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Negatives: my draft hope (Garlett) looks completely at ease with the pace of afl. :mad:

Would you care for a wager on that?
Come knock on my door after week 3 of the main season.

But for interests sake, what odds are you offering?

Very pleasantly surprised Clark played close to the full game after Scott said he expected him to play a half.

Clark was clearly rusty early on, but he made a few good leads and crashed some packs. In the second half he worked into the game and kicked two, setting up at least one other. There was one instance late in the game where he and Hawkins both went to mark the same ball, but working out each other's leading patterns will come the longer they play together.

He also chased and led all game and his fitness didn't seem a concern (albeit his match fitness did early on). Unless something goes wrong from here I think he's a lock to start in the goal square on Easter Monday.

I though Duncan and Caddy could have done more - if we are to challenge for top four this year we really need one of those guys to be close to AA, and they certainly both have the ability. Guthrie flashed in and out but his good was very good.

I'm a fan of Murdoch but he provided next to nothing today. His spot in our 22 shouldn't be assured and he will need to show something during the rest of the NAB Challenge to play round 1 IMO.

Lang was probably the surprise packet for me. He looked really composed and classy. With Varcoe and Christensen gone (not to mention Burbury, who got a few chances last season), there's a senior spot for him if he wants it.

I still can't see how Simpson and McIntosh fit into the same side (I know Hamish didn't play today). Dawson was totally smashed around the ground by Zac Smith and just doesn't get enough of the ball around the ground or prove a marking threat - both of which are crucial for the modern day ruckman. Hamish provides these assets a lot more than Dawson and if I was a selector I'd have Hamish our round one ruck backed up by Blicavs/Clark.

So we play a practice game and get beaten , are cooked. In that heat maybe we are cooked.

Id prefer to wait till we play the in Apr and May , first 6 games or so. If i we are not a better side it will show in that period.
err thats what I said. Rnd 3 to make a final call. But nothing has changed Turbo. Its obvious.
We go sideways and back now. It's first option, not the last.

So we play a practice game and get beaten , are cooked. In that heat maybe we are cooked.

Id prefer to wait till we play the in Apr and May , first 6 games or so. If i we are not a better side it will show in that period.

pretty tough first 6 games we have

Lang was the standout for mine.

Put him in the forward pocket for the year.

He was stiff to be dropped after his first game last year.Keep playing him as he looks good,especially up forward.Seems a fairly reliable kicker at goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back