Autopsy Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Neale, Crozier and Suban will be the big movers for you guys this year. Still not sold that Taberner gets a consistent game but he also looks like he will improve.

Johnson - Dawson - Sutcliffe

Duffield - Mcpharlin - Spurr

Hill - Mundy - D.Pearce

Walters - Taberner - Crozier

Z.Clarke - Pavlich - Ballantyne

Sandilands - Barlow - Fyfe

Neale, Suban, Mzungu
Sub: Ibbo/C.Pearce/Deboer/Mayne

As you guys seem to be mentioning I think Spurr, Crowley and Mayne would be the ones that might find themselves on the outer with those others pushing up as mentioned. Will be hard to see a team without the Deboer, Crowley, Mayne and Mzungu role players playing a big part in a Ross Lyon team though.

Would think Ibbo and Pearce replace those defenders for the mean times, maybe Silvagni if you need the height.

I think Neale, Crozier and Suban will be the big movers for you guys this year. Still not sold that Taberner gets a consistent game but he also looks like he will improve.

Hill - Mundy - D.Pearce

Neale, Suban, Mzungu

As you guys seem to be mentioning I think Spurr, Crowley and Mayne would be the ones that might find themselves on the outer with those others pushing up as mentioned. Will be hard to see a team without the Deboer, Crowley, Mayne and Mzungu role players playing a big part in a Ross Lyon team though.

Would think Ibbo and Pearce replace those defenders for the mean times, maybe Silvagni if you need the height.
Nailed it.

Hill - Mundy - D.Pearce

Neale, Suban, Mzungu

Good job mate. I think Tabs will be even better this season and will complement Pav well. He may find it a lot tougher if Pav is rested.

Although it hasn't been as close-checking a role as Crowley, Mzungu has been playing a run-with role for a couple years now. I actually prefer him to MDB as a potential Crowley replacement.
Wastes a lot of mzungu's skill set to use him as a negating tagger. Mz can play just about everywhere, and often is everywhere.

If we play a negating tagger that isn't crowley... then I'd rather lose MDB's rather average attacking/linking talents rather than Mz's much more useful skill set.

Mzungu already plays a run with role in a lot of games, and has done in conjunction with Crowley tagging. He is definitely a viable option - how is his centre square/ball up clearance work?

Instead of replacing Crowley with a dedicated tagger, in my opinion they should play Barlow as a defensive midfielder. He has the size, endurance and height to match it with anyone in the opposition, plus the brain and discipline. He's less dynamic at clearances compared to Fyfe, Mundy and Neale so I don't feel we'd lose much in that department, but he is a capable enough ball winner in his own right. He's also comfortable both helping out in defence and slipping forward to kick a goal.

ok, i'll have a shot.

Rnd 1 Best 22:

FB: MJ, Dawson, Macca
HB: Hill, Sutty, Ibbo
C: D.Pearce, Barlow, Mzungu
HF: Crowls, Tabernator, Mayne
FF: Walters, Pav, Ballas

Fol: Sandi, Mundy, Fyfe

Bench: Neale, Clarke, Spurr (Duff/Croz/Sub-an)

Rnd 23 Best 22:

FB: MJ, Dawson, Macca
HB: Mzungu, Sutty, Mundy
C: D.Pearce, Barlow, Crowls
HF: Hill, Tabernator, Walters
FF: Ballas, Pav, Sandi

Fol: Clarke, Fyfe, Neale

Bench: Ibbo, Mayne, Spurr (Duff / Weller/ Croz)

It is just hard. I really expect Sherro and Weller (based on reports / form) to be pushing for games by the end of the year. Sherro hasn't set the world alight, but i have some faith in him. Clancee? Suban? I see these too as fringe, but both with the potential to hold out Weller / blakely for most of the year, but by the end, I just dont know.

Edit: Just relaise i missed Crowls... um, cant see him missing, so I need to rethink it. I think it is likely Croz to Sub in R1 and Bench R23. Replacing Clancee (R1) / Sherro (R23)
Reckon if crowls isn't playing as a tagger then he should be playing WAFL. Better options on a wing or HFF that he'd be taking the spot from. Would rather Mayne as a defensive HFF to crowls.

It is not a big deal, but there were tons of references by the commentators and clear vision of Suban next to Gray when I put myself through the horrendous experience of rewatching the game (stored on hard drive) to look for info for contribution to where we needed to improve thread.
I'm not disputing that. I am simply referring to the home and away game against Port where he was given the job of tagging Hartlett and dropped off in the second half. Also of concern, was the fact that he had little impact on the game while he was tagging Hartlett and in a way it seemed like a waste of his strengths. Just my personal view.
I admire your strength of character in being able to watch a game we lost. I still can't bring myself to do it.

I'm not disputing that. I am simply referring to the home and away game against Port where he was given the job of tagging Hartlett and dropped off in the second half. Also of concern, was the fact that he had little impact on the game while he was tagging Hartlett and in a way it seemed like a waste of his strengths. Just my personal view.
I admire your strength of character in being able to watch a game we lost. I still can't bring myself to do it.
We got our wires crossed at some point and I agree Suban dropped off in the last quarter in the last home and away game against Port. My view is that Im not sold on De Boer as a tagger and I think a Suban/Gu combination would be a better option. We obviously need to improve our kicking efficiency and transistion of the football. Playing a player with good kicking skills ahead of a player with questionable kicking skills to me seems like a good idea in theory at least. If it came down to selecting either De Boer or Suban to play the negating role Id pick Suban and also use Gu as the chop out player.

We got our wires crossed at some point and I agree Suban dropped off in the last quarter in the last home and away game against Port. My view is that Im not sold on De Boer as a tagger and I think a Suban/Gu combination would be a better option. We obviously need to improve our kicking efficiency and transistion of the football. Playing a player with good kicking skills ahead of a player with questionable kicking skills to me seems like a good idea in theory at least. If it came down to selecting either De Boer or Suban to play the negating role Id pick Suban and also use Gu as the chop out player.
That may happen. Sounds like they are considering Clancee, who can play defensively, can play 4 quarters and has a lethal kick. (Whether he could go with a Grey is questionable though). That would leave Suban to play to his strengths as he did today.

Seriously! Suban was subbed off in that game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's your point?

The point is the comments are about Suban not being able to do the job on Harlett for the full game. "Dropping off in the last quarter". I'm saying that he was subbed before 3/4 time..so how can you call that.

You might want to check the press conference after the game to see if Ross Lyon gave the reason for the substitution as injury. Suban had missed the Hawthorn game a couple of weeks prior.

The point is the comments are about Suban not being able to do the job on Harlett for the full game. "Dropping off in the last quarter". I'm saying that he was subbed before 3/4 time..so how can you call that.

You might want to check the press conference after the game to see if Ross Lyon gave the reason for the substitution as injury. Suban had missed the Hawthorn game a couple of weeks prior.
I also recall Ross mentioning that Suban let Hartlett off the leash after half time.

I also recall Ross mentioning that Suban let Hartlett off the leash after half time.

But that's kind of irrelevant to what happened in the last quarter. Its hard to get a stat once you've been subbed.

You might be right about what happened earlier in the game, but my feeling is that Suban had been carrying an injury during that period, which was what the coach had said, and if that wasn't actually the case, then in was kind of strange that in the same game the coaches left a clearly debilitated Johnson on the ground in preference to Suban, and also used up their number of interchange rotations early in the last quarter.

But that's kind of irrelevant to what happened in the last quarter. Its hard to get a stat once you've been subbed.

You might be right about what happened earlier in the game, but my feeling is that Suban had been carrying an injury during that period, which was what the coach had said, and if that wasn't actually the case, then in was kind of strange that in the same game the coaches left a clearly debilitated Johnson on the ground in preference to Suban, and also used up their number of interchange rotations early in the last quarter.
I never mentioned the last quarter specifically I said the second half. Sherif said the last quarter.
Ross also said when asked about Suban's game in a recent Nab presser. "Well it happened again he didn't play 4 quarters" or something along those lines. It is obvious it is an issue with his game but he seemed reasonably consistent today so that may be a positive sign.
I thought Suban was injured at the end of the year, but they never said that, so I can only take it at face value.

Blakely looks like a possible round one starter based on his performance today. Not since Hill and Fyfe have we seen such a promising first year player. He's only a kid, so although I don't want to pump his tyres up too much, it's hard not to get excited about potentially finding another quality mid.

Reckon if crowls isn't playing as a tagger then he should be playing WAFL. Better options on a wing or HFF that he'd be taking the spot from. Would rather Mayne as a defensive HFF to crowls.
I didn't mean to use him as a real "winger". Just named him there, he would still be a tagger. We just have so many people who will play on the ball. Creepy would have just followed his tag. He might start in the square, or in the fwd line.

Now that he is a definite out, I need to work out who would replace him.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

My Round 1 team assuming no Ballas/Duffield

Spurr - Silvagni - Johnson
Sutcliffe - McPharlin - Ibbotson
D Pearce - Barlow - Hill
Fyfe - Taberner - Mayne
Walters - Pavlich - Duffy

Sandilands - Mundy - Neale

Suban - de Boer - Clarke - Mzungu

emerg C Pearce Crozier Blakely

My Round 1 team assuming no Ballas/Duffield

Spurr - Silvagni - Johnson
Sutcliffe - McPharlin - Ibbotson
D Pearce - Barlow - Hill
Fyfe - Taberner - Mayne
Walters - Pavlich - Duffy

Sandilands - Mundy - Neale

Suban - de Boer - Clarke - Mzungu

emerg C Pearce Crozier Blakely

Reckon one of MDB/Mzungu will be starting on the ground now in light of the Crowley development.

Duffy ahead of Crozier is interesting, care to expand?

Deboer a shoe in for tagger. Dont mind it cos he's pretty quick and might be able to have some impact winning clearances possibly. Using mzungu would be an absolute waste of his talents.

Deboer a shoe in for tagger. Dont mind it cos he's pretty quick and might be able to have some impact winning clearances possibly. Using mzungu would be an absolute waste of his talents.

I think he'll be better through the centre than he has in the defensive forward-nothing role - it's where he's played his best footy in the past.

If de boer does take over crowls role,de boer has shown he can be effective at stoppages.I remember a game he played as a mid against Richmond and played really well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back