Autopsy Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Would rack up a half a dozen reports in 5 minutes playing on Steve Johnson.

I'm with the Gav (and others) on Subes, either sub or not in the side at all.

I don't want to see him tagging but he has some serious endurance and has added some speed this season. He would be good as a sub but could easily run out games. I think he will be best 22.

Nor the temperament.Tagger has to turn the other cheek.Subes is to much of a hothead to tag.
Disagree. His feisty temperamnet suits the role perfectly. IMO most of the better taggers in history have had the ability to get under their opposition's skin. Suban spent time on Gray in the first half against Port an did a better job than any other player who played on the Port star in that game. Id like to see Gu (if fit), De Boer and Suban all tried in a tagging role in the preseason. Suban's ability to hurt the opposition when tagging may turn into a major strength. He's my choice at the moment.

Just a quick note rom the Sunday Slimes today in an interview with RTB the horrendous Hagdorn was put in his place when asking about the plus 1 role in the team when Lyon talked about how we dont play a seventh defender. The plus one player generally comes from the fact the opposition pushed their sixth forward into the midfield and we then let that the opposition player go, so Johno or Ibbo are free behind the ball. This quote is relevant to this thread because if Mayne plays a 50/50 role in the team one of Duffield, Ibbo, Sutty or Spurr will miss out if everyone is available as we wont play eight defenders even if one of those players plays a 50/50 role.

Last edited:
Suban kept Hartlett quiet for a half against Port but let him go in the second half. I am still not sure if he can play at his best for 4 quarters and for the full season. Guess it depends on whether he is showing genuine improvement or if he is just up for it early in the season. I'm a huge fan of Suban but he has a tendency to promise a lot and then not quite follow through. Hope that all changes this year.

Just a quick note rom the Sunday Slimes today in an interview with the horrendous Hagdorn was put in his place when asking about the plus 1 role in the team when Lyon talked about how we dont play a seventh defender. The plus one player generally comes from the fact the opposition pushed a their sixth forward into the midfield and we then let that the opposition player go, so Johno or Ibbo are free behind the ball. This quote is relevant to this thread because if Mayne plays a 50/50 role in the team one of Duffield, Ibbo, Sutty or Spurr will miss out if everyone is available.
Lyon said Mayne may play closer to goal forward.

Suban kept Hartlett quiet for a half against Port but let him go in the second half. I am still not sure if he can play at his best for 4 quarters and for the full season. Guess it depends on whether he is showing genuine improvement or if he is just up for it early in the season. I'm a huge fan of Suban but he has a tendency to promise a lot and then not quite follow through. Hope that all changes this year.
Suban played on Gray in the first half definitely. D. Pearce was Hartlett's opponent for most of the Port game.

IMO Gray played predominately forward in the second half and Sutty was his opponent a the time he was tearing it up. Suban's fitness is outstanding from what I have seen at training. I dont have a problem with him running out the game. Again, Im not sold on De Boer in a tagging role. I wouldnt mind if we rotated Gu and Suban in the early part of the year.

Last edited:
IMO Gray played more forward in the second half and Sutty was his opponent a the time he was running amok. Suban fitness is outstanding from what I have seen at training. I dont have a problem with him running out the game. Again, Im not sold on De Boer in a tagging role. I wouldnt mind if we rotated Gu and Suban in the early part of the year.
Not sure what that has to go with Suban not holding Hartlett for 4 quarters? Having the fitness to do something and actually doing it are two different things. Does he then not have the application or concentration to do a job for 4 quarters, possibly?

Not sure what that has to go with Suban not holding Hartlett for 4 quarters? Having the fitness to do something and actually doing it are two different things. Does he then not have the application or concentration to do a job for 4 quarters, possibly?
Please re-read my edited post. It was definitely Suban on Gray and not Hartlett like you said. Gu also spent some time on Hartlett, but D.Pearce was his opponent for the majority of the game.

Please re-read my edited post. It was definitely Suban on Gray and not Hartlett like you said. Gu also spent some time on Hartlett, but D.Pearce was his opponent for the majority of the game.
Game before. He was given the job on Hartlett and dropped off badly in the second half.

Game before. He was given the job on Hartlett and dropped off badly in the second half.
It is not a big deal, but there were tons of references by the commentators and clear vision of Suban next to Gray when I put myself through the horrendous experience of rewatching the game (stored on hard drive) to look for info for contribution to where we needed to improve thread.

Last edited:
FB: Duffield, Dawson, Spurr
HB: Ibbotson, McPharlin, Johnson
C: Hill, Mundy, Sutcliffe
HF: Crozier, Taberner, Walters
FF: Ballantyne, Pavlich, Clarke

Foll: Sandilands, Barlow, Fyfe
Int: Neale, D. Pearce, Mzungu
Sub: Suban

So my team pretty much the same as Redgum except I've got Mzungu in the 21 over Suban.

So my team pretty much the same as Redgum except I've got Mzungu in the 21 over Suban.

Muz is a lock imo

I agree with your best 22 in terms of that you have named the individual best 22, but I cant see Sutcliffe moved from defence as we need more run coming out of defence not less. Im saying our best 22 team is the same as yours apart from Suban (to play tagger) into the 21. Then Duffield is out with Mayne into the 21 to allow Crozier to play some time on a wing and perhaps also have the flow on effect of Mundy, Hill and Mayne spending some game time rotating off half back. The sub player is hard to work out, but a rotation of Gu, D.Pearce, Crozier and Neale would be my options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Muz is a lock imo

Agree. I would almost have him ahead of mundy. He is a total midfielder. Wins the ball on the ground and in the air, genuinely runs both ways, tackles hard, has pace and our best endurance runner. Kicks goals and happily sacrifices his game when asked to. Probably our most unheralded player. Also a good kick on him. I think he has improved steadily since we drafted him too.

Only named Sutty there because there's no room left in the backline, we usually play 7 behind centre anyway.

No, we don't. It's difficult to tell on TV, but if you're watching live it's pretty obvious to see that we almost always line up with 6 forward of centre and 6 behind. I'm not sure why people keep perpetuating this 7 man defense idea.

Here's the exercpt of the Kim Hagdorn interview from last week.

KH: What is the likelihood for quick movers such as Stephen Hill and Danyle Pearce playing bigger roles as you break away from congestion or plus-one players to move the ball quicker into scoring range?

RL: What do you mean plus-one?

KH: Just that extra player behind the ball and around defence.

RL: We don’t tend to play seven-man defences.

KH: Aren’t they the roles that Garrick Ibbotson or Michael Johnson play behind the ball?

RL: They’re not seven-man defences. They’re half-backs and teams try and open you and at times they’ve let their man go. So I haven’t really thought about Pearce and Hill playing to be truthful. But it’s something to think about.

Well if we aren't playing a 7-man defense then we are rotating those 7 through the defense. Either way those 7 guys are in our team every week and they all play in the back line.

Suban is starting to win me over that he is in our best 21. We need BOTH Sutcliffe and Duffield in the starting defensive 6 for the run they provide.

B: Johnson Dawson Spurr
HB: Sutcliffe McPharlin Duffield
C: Hill Mundy Mzungu
HF: Crozier Taberner Mayne
F: Walters Pavlich Ballantyne
R: Sandilands Barlow Fyfe
I: Clarke Neale Suban

If Ibbo is fit and firing then he could possibly take Spurr's spot? Spurr struggles on the likes of Wingard, I'm not sure Ibbo would be better but it's worth looking at other options. Most the good teams have 2 to 3 good small to medium forwards.

If we want to play a tagger (Crowley/De Boer), they take Mayne's defensive forward spot. If we want both a defensive forward and a tagger, then Suban moves to sub. If not, then Sub from Sheridan/Blakely/Weller/Clancee/whoever.

Would like to see how we go without the tagger role.

Our mids should now be able to go head to head and win against other teams without the luxury of restricting their best mid.

Suban is starting to win me over that he is in our best 21. We need BOTH Sutcliffe and Duffield in the starting defensive 6 for the run they provide.

B: Johnson Dawson Spurr
C: Hill Mundy Mzungu
HF: Crozier Taberner Mayne
F: Walters Pavlich Ballantyne
R: Sandilands Barlow Fyfe
I: Clarke Neale Suban

If Ibbo is fit and firing then he could possibly take Spurr's spot? Spurr struggles on the likes of Wingard, I'm not sure Ibbo would be better but it's worth looking at other options. Most the good teams have 2 to 3 good small to medium forwards.

If we want to play a tagger (Crowley/De Boer), they take Mayne's defensive forward spot. If we want both a defensive forward and a tagger, then Suban moves to sub. If not, then Sub from Sheridan/Blakely/Weller/Clancee/whoever.
Not sure you did this on purpose or not but Danyle Pearce will be best 22 whether we like it or not. Crowley will play round one (fitness permitting). After that may be a different story. Good luck working out who to take out though. I'm not even going to bother trying.

Not sure you did this on purpose or not but Danyle Pearce will be best 22 whether we like it or not. Crowley will play round one (fitness permitting). After that may be a different story. Good luck working out who to take out though. I'm not even going to bother trying.

Argh forgot about Danyle. He'd be on my bench. If Crowley plays (as he prob will) maybe Mayne misses out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suban will struggle this season with the new interpretation of holding the ball. He looks a million dollars against the lesser teams bursting through tackles and kicking long and accurately into our forward line. He becomes invisible when the opposition turn the heat up and he can't run through players. He plays like a 190cm and 95kg midfielder. He doesn't have the feigns and sidestep to give himself time inside to make the right decision. Take Neale as an example of a player who, with a shimmy and a feign creates time and space on the inside to handball well. Really only Neale and Mundy do this well. Blakely looks like someone with the same skills. Fyfe is more crash and bash but has the size to do it. Barlow's trick is to jump before his handball and or to hold his hands high above his head to take advantage of his height.

There is a reason our team rarely gets a string of handballs out of the midfield and clean delivery inside 50. I think our clearances are overrated, they seem to be dirty clearances which rarely create a goal. We may win the clearances but I'd like to know our scores from clearances versus another teams.

Argh forgot about Danyle. He'd be on my bench. If Crowley plays (as he prob will) maybe Mayne misses out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be blatantly honest I think Ibbo would be best 22 as well but as I said before I can't be bothered finding a way to fit him in. Our round one side will be mostly decided by injuries/pre seasons etc imo. Only takes one midfielder for to get injured and we wouldn't be having this discussion about Crowley.

My best 22:

B: Ibbotson Dawson Johnson
C: Crozier Mundy Hill
HF: Mayne Taberner Walters
F: Ballantyne Sandilands Pavlich
R: Clarke Fyfe Barlow
I: Neale, D.Pearce, Mzungu
S: Suban

Stiff to be missing out are Spurr and Crowley. Mzungu to play a tag as hard as the situation requires.

I think Ibbotson is an all-round upgrade over Spurr and that Mzungu could tag an opponent should he choose to sacrifice his own game and do so. With regards to Clarke, putting him in the number one ruck position is merely a means by which I do not feel disgusted including him in the side, a necessary evil. That is not to say I don't think he is a good first ruckmen, which I do, he is not a good tall forward at all though.

My best 22:

Stiff to be missing out are Spurr and Crowley. Mzungu to play a tag as hard as the situation requires.

I think Ibbotson is an all-round upgrade over Spurr and that Mzungu could tag an opponent should he choose to sacrifice his own game and do so. With regards to Clarke, putting him in the number one ruck position is merely a means by which I do not feel disgusted including him in the side, a necessary evil. That is not to say I don't think he is a good first ruckmen, which I do, he is not a good tall forward at all though.

Out of all the best 22 I see this as the most rounded yet. I think it's on the money however through injuries players like Spurr will probably play each week not that it will weaken the team much.

My best 22:

There is a bit of clarity in your best 22 in my opinion. I am ready for a Crowley-free line up, and agree with your comments re Mzungu's versatility. I could quibble about the disrespect that you have shown shunting Pavlich to the pocket, but I can't really quibble with the choices you have made overall. And anyway I wouldn't mind seeing him flashing in front of Sandilands to snag a mark. Nice work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back