2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I think Cutler is probably as good a kick as Suckling. Maybe not as long but quality just the same. He is also taller which is an advantage in itself. I would hope that if we wanted to get another quality user into the back half we would be giving him a long look first.

Edit - just to clarify some of Suckling's kicks are sublime and more than Cutler can produce at this stage but overall I think things probably even out.

Last edited:
Suckling would allow us to play Rich or Claye more forward if anything.

I thought the same initially, but I'm not convinced. Claye seems to have been moved to the HBF in large part because the midfield rotations are crowded and he has the kicking skills to play that role for us.

Rich IMO suits the HBF role because he is fairly susceptible to a tag when he runs through the midfield. That didn't seem to stop his involvement inside, but does affect his ability to get space and use his kick. If I remember correctly, Voss started playing him intermittently in that role for stretches in 2013 after a few games where he had been tagged and got very little of the ball. If he is a success this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes his long term spot.

Suckling is a Travis Johnstone type. Ie the worst "elite" kick in the competition. He does produce a few great long kicks each match but he also turns it over a bit and does not do what is required on occasions. He is below average defensively also. He suits the Hawthorn system and looks good in a side that is dominating but I am not sure he would look so good in a midtable team.

I know a few knowledgable Hawks fans and they are not that enthusiastic about Suckling and are not unhappy when he is dropped. They see him in the 18-25 region and not anywhere near the elite category he is portrayed in the media and by the casual fan.
Spot on. He benefits greatly from playing in that Hawthorn team, and I think Hawthorn fans would be right to want him out of the side at times. Could struggle to get a game if Whitecross can stay fit. I think he would be exposed in most other teams, he offers very little defensively.
Thought on TBC? Especially if Berger might look elsewhere? If the Hawkins trade doesn't eventuate I could see us throwing a bit at him. Genuine forward-Ruck that is better than any forwards we have at present.
More injury prone than Leuenberger.
I am +100 for Suckling. He would be a perfect replacement for Patful. He is a quality premiership player.. would fit that mould of experienced, good aged, good experience for our team and supplement the experience lost with Patful. I'd be happy up to the $500k mark.. $600k i'd be a bit reluctant but still wouldn't say no.
The only Patful replacement available in free agency is Michael Johnson. He's just as good as Patful, but he's over 30 and we're not in a premiership window. Paying Suckling that kind of money would be crazy.
I thought the same initially, but I'm not convinced. Claye seems to have been moved to the HBF in large part because the midfield rotations are crowded and he has the kicking skills to play that role for us.

Rich IMO suits the HBF role because he is fairly susceptible to a tag when he runs through the midfield. That didn't seem to stop his involvement inside, but does affect his ability to get space and use his kick. If I remember correctly, Voss started playing him intermittently in that role for stretches in 2013 after a few games where he had been tagged and got very little of the ball. If he is a success this year, I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes his long term spot.
I think Rich would be wasted if we played him off half back in the long term. We need him getting the ball forward of centre.

I think Rich would be wasted if we played him off half back in the long term. We need him getting the ball forward of centre.

I'd want him delivering the ball into 50 more than anyone else in the side, but if we run him through the midfield he almost certainly draws the main tag for that reason and I reckon he has battled with that. I think that his decision making and execution by foot off the HBF is nearly as valuable to us, and I think he'll be involved more reliably in that spot.

That said, I'd definitely prefer we found a strategy to get him the ball more in the midfield.

Sean Dempster is a Free Agent isn't he? He's a Patfull clone. Too old for us though.

If Birchall was the free agent and not Suckling I would be very interested in getting him on board. Such a quality player. Unfortunately he is not out of contract.

Wonder if Leppa sees exactly what we need and will go after it come trade / FA time, ala Clarko did at the Hawks :cool:

I noticed on Instagram today that Jed + family are moving in with his in laws.
Could this mean he is planing to exercise free angencey at the end of the year?

I noticed on Instagram today that Jed + family are moving in with his in laws.
Could this mean he is planing to exercise free angencey at the end of the year?

Hmm, wonder who would be interested in him? Geelong, Sydney, Hawks? Hes from Victoria originally isnt he?

Of course they could be building a new house and are just staying with the inlaws for a bit...

The alternative is that he is just using it for leverage in FA contract negotiations. This will be his last big one you'd think, and he'd know we have some room the cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The alternative is that he is just using it for leverage in FA contract negotiations. This will be his last big one you'd think, and he'd know we have some room the cap.
So he sells his home and moves into his inlaws to hopefully gain a larger pay packet at year end from the Lions? I'm not sure a small increase in wage is worth living a year with the inlaws TBH. He is now not only whipped by his wife but also her parents!!

Finishing bottom 4 wouldn't be that bad of an outcome anymore of Jed were to go.
Getting two top 5 picks would be very handy

Leppitsch said there was money to move again this season if the club decided to attempt to lure experienced talent to bolster their stocks, but it was likely the Lions would focus on the draft rather than snaring experienced talent.

"We've probably got room for another big target, but whether there's one out there, that's the thing," he said.

"The decision is, do we develop one of our own or is the next guy we bring in going to be any better than the guys we can develop ourselves?"

"If there was a 50-50, I'd rather keep the kids we've got and develop them than bring in someone who's going to be no better.

"It would be unlikely we'd trade out our first pick [this year] because we just need to keep that steady flow of good talent coming in.

"Now that we've got maturity in the midfield, we just need to continue to grow that."

Interesting extract from the following article relating to our 2015 Trade/FA/Draft discussion: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-27/bundy-better-than-beams

I'd want him delivering the ball into 50 more than anyone else in the side, but if we run him through the midfield he almost certainly draws the main tag for that reason and I reckon he has battled with that. I think that his decision making and execution by foot off the HBF is nearly as valuable to us, and I think he'll be involved more reliably in that spot.

That said, I'd definitely prefer we found a strategy to get him the ball more in the midfield.

A lot of the better rebounding defenders are the one's that get the ball inside 50. He did it a few times during the pre-season so I assume it will be the same for the next 22 games. He won't ever be one of the best shut down defenders so when we're on top in the game I think it's fair to say he will be rotating through the middle as well.

Finishing bottom 4 wouldn't be that bad of an outcome anymore of Jed were to go.
Getting two top 5 picks would be very handy

No way does Jed fetch band 1 compensation.

Interesting Leppa said that once we get past this hump with Aish (referring to his contract), he's very confident he'll be a one club player. What's the hump? Homesick? Money?

If Frawley did surely we'd be a chance

So who would offer Adcock 4-5 years at 600k+? I love the guy but he isn't worth anything near that at this point in his career.

Interesting Leppa said that once we get past this hump with Aish (referring to his contract), he's very confident he'll be a one club player. What's the hump? Homesick? Money?

I think he just meant the first "re-signing".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back