Prediction So, where do we end up for season 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the scoreboard flattered us in both games so far.
The next 2 weeks will tell us plenty.
NM are our direct measuring stick in many ways.
If we can't beat GC at home next week the way they are travelling, we deserve bottom 4.
But Richmond turned their season around last year with a flurry of wins. Anything is possible.
I thought 12-16th preseason and today, see no reason to change. That is nearly a hope for me because if we are way off top 4, which we are, let's play the kids, get them some experience, and get this rebuild up and going.
What I do know is right now is the very lowest we have EVER been on the ladder.

If we can't beat GC at home next week the way they are travelling, we deserve bottom 4.
But Richmond turned their season around last year with a flurry of wins. Anything is possible.
I thought 12-16th preseason and today, see no reason to change.

If we lose the next 2 , then get out snow boots ( well you would if went for Melb)

Glad to see so many level heads here, as many I speak to are deluded, that includes supporters of other clubs.

Based on effort of the first two games, we won't make the 8, and likely would end up far lower on the ladder than anyone would guess.
That said, 2 sh*te efforts against top 4 sides, maybe even top 2, so let's wait till say round 10, when the ladder begins to even out.
By then, one would think if we have a chance of sneaking into the top 8, no chance of doing so, finishing mediocre, or really shafting this season and bottoming right out. No one wants to see this, but agreed, if we can't make the 8 to just say "well we still made the 8", the lower the better.

We need to recruit a tonne of stars of tomorrow, as come year end, I reckon we'll see more retirements than many right now are expecting. Why you ask?
Effort. I saw too many examples of low effort, and many I spoke to agree, Cats fans and non-Cats fans. Wasn't Geelong-like of this recent era. The "hold your head up, and fight till the end" spirit.

Its a good question - very poor performances - but is only 2 games - and against top notch opponents - couple of crunch games - but win them and things could turn around very quickly

For what it is worth - i can remember Nth Melb when they made 5 GFS in a row 74 to 78 - one season there in that era - they lost their 1st 4 games - every one wrote them off - but they won their 1st game in round 5 - and ended up winning the premiership

And guess who they beat in round 5 - to break the duck - Geelong at Geelong - god the Cats used to be a joke

I thought 12-16th preseason and today, see no reason to change. That is nearly a hope for me because if we are way off top 4, which we are, let's play the kids, get them some experience, and get this rebuild up and going.

3 Points to make to this as I don't agree that simply because we cant win the flag that we should not worry about winning as many games as possible

1.We have played 2 games this year with cockatoo,lang and Gregson being played in both, so we are already playing the kids. Going to an extreme and playing only the kids may result in significant psychological damage to the club as winning and losing can both be a habit.
2.Finishing as high as possible gives as the best possible chance of attracting free agents.
3.Making a semi final would be a great experience for our younger players

Its unlikely, but if we play 4 quarters of footy and Clark and Hawkins get good supply - there are goals that will be kicked. And many.

Our % could be brought back to some normalcy with one of two good wins like that.

I still think 6-8 is achievable. Lots to be learned in the next 2 weeks.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get on top of the suns this week early, we need to go in for the kill. There should be no reason for complacency anymore, we are well and truly not good enough for that and our credits have expired. The next month will be telling

For what it is worth - i can remember Nth Melb when they made 5 GFS in a row 74 to 78 - one season there in that era - they lost their 1st 4 games - every one wrote them off - but they won their 1st game in round 5 - and ended up winning the premiership

And guess who they beat in round 5 - to break the duck - Geelong at Geelong - god the Cats used to be a joke

What was their age profile at the time?

I am starting to think we could be headed for the bottom 6. On talent, we should be around 8th, but I think once a few of the veterans realise there is nothing left to play for, we could see an alarming drop in form.

Remember pre-season Bartel was still talking Premierships, once reality sets in, I just can't see them being competitive week in week out.

I don't think our form has bottomed out yet. This could be quite an alarming slide we are in for.

I am starting to think we could be headed for the bottom 6. On talent, we should be around 8th, but I think once a few of the veterans realise there is nothing left to play for, we could see an alarming drop in form.

Remember pre-season Bartel was still talking Premierships, once reality sets in, I just can't see them being competitive week in week out.

I don't think our form has bottomed out yet. This could be quite an alarming slide we are in for.

Completely agree. We haven't yet seen the younger guys get completely disenchanted. That'll happen soon too.

I'm not a Geelong supporter so excuse the intrusion but personally I think $13-1 for you guys to make the Top 4 is great value in terms of betting. It's a long, long season, and if you can win the 50/50 games against the Norths and Bombers, etc., it isn't out of the realm of possibility. Thoughts?

The next month is obviously key. On the one hand Fremantle smashed us and scored too easily against us. On the other hand, 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter on the weekend we were about a goal down despite crucifying ourselves with turnovers and having absolutely no fluency with ball in hand. We'd actually controlled good chunks of the game. A bit of confidence and understanding between players and I feel we would've been 2-3 goals up at that point. If we can find some confidence the next 4 games are all very winnable. From there anything's possible but if we drop even one of the next 4 the top 8 is a long way away. So anywhere from 3rd to 13th I'd say. Good that I'm not sitting on the fence...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back