Everything Off-Season in Domestic Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

He's only 29 and a good bowler? I think Duffield is every bit as good (+ younger) and he will come cheaper.

Rainbird no chance.
He's been pretty poor for the past 2 seasons. 8 wickets @ 73.5 in 5 matches last season. 18 wickets @ 33.4 in 13/14.

He's been pretty poor for the past 2 seasons. 8 wickets @ 73.5 in 5 matches last season. 18 wickets @ 33.4 in 13/14.
Duffy? Hasn't had much of a run at things for various reasons. He's a solid shield bowler.

What I like - his aggression and his ability to swing the ball.

What holds him back - his body and the fact that he bowls too many '4' balls.

Certainly a bowler worthy of regular Shield cricket, which he hasn't had.

Duffy? Hasn't had much of a run at things for various reasons. He's a solid shield bowler.

What I like - his aggression and his ability to swing the ball.

What holds him back - his body and the fact that he bowls too many '4' balls.

Certainly a bowler worthy of regular Shield cricket, which he hasn't had.
Putland. Not Duffield.

Putland. Not Duffield.
Oh, I see. I'll be honest and say I don't always follow SA games as closely as others, which bowlers make up their starting pace attack now? Richo, Sayers, Mennie? Geez, Mennie is ordinary and Richo is pretty unproven in FC, I'd be holding on to Putland if I were them.

Oh, I see. I'll be honest and say I don't always follow SA games as closely as others, which bowlers make up their starting pace attack now? Richo, Sayers, Mennie? Geez, Mennie is ordinary and Richo is pretty unproven in FC, I'd be holding on to Putland if I were them.
I'd say Richo and Sayers together and maybe play 2 spinners (Zampa/Beer).

I'd say Richo and Sayers together and maybe play 2 spinners (Zampa/Beer).
Will McDonald be fit enough to rely on as an all-rounding seamer? You wouldn't go into games consistently with 2 spinners and hope to win a Shield.

Will McDonald be fit enough to rely on as an all-rounding seamer? You wouldn't go into games consistently with 2 spinners and hope to win a Shield.
No, he's full time coach of Leicestershire. At Adelaide, spin is more dangerous as a general rule so 2 spinners would be fine there. Obviously you play 3 seamers at Brisbane and Perth though.

No, he's full time coach of Leicestershire. At Adelaide, spin is more dangerous as a general rule so 2 spinners would be fine there. Obviously you play 3 seamers at Brisbane and Perth though.
They'd be better off developing a third seamer than playing a second spinner.

It is SA we're talking about :$.
True haha. But wasn't Head bowling a fair bit at the end of the season with some success? That's another reason why they don't need 2 frontline spinners. They should try to poach a young talent and promise him Shield action. Or get McDermott, he's treated like puss.

Mennie was looking good a couple years back. Fell off the trajectory pretty badly.

Mennie was looking good a couple years back. Fell off the trajectory pretty badly.

Same with Duffield. Was the fastest ever WA bowler to 50 wickets if I remember rightly. I think if given the chance he could get his career back on track pretty quickly with SA as it was more that he got squeezed out of the shield side due to the quality of the alternative options as opposed to poor performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listening to a great interview with Keith Stackpole & Hoggy on SEN.

Stacky said he was "gifted" a game in 1st Grade for Collingwood at 16 yrs of age so he could play in the same team as his dad. They played Sth Melbourne who were captained by Aussie captain Ian Johnson, and Stacky who had come up from the 3rds, made a blob.

Stacky said he was in tears over his duck when Ian Johnson came up to him and said "don't take it so hard son" and "I'll put something in the mail for you." Some days later, Stacky was rapt to receive a brand new Gunn & Moore bat in the mail.

Stacky said he always valued team players and made the point many players aren't. Pressed, he said he rated himself about 9 to 9 1/2 as far as being a good team man.

Hoggy was asked how he rated himself. "Oh about 2.5." :D

I don't understand QLD's treatment of McDermott. Did he tell them early in the season he was planning a move? Or is he just a tool?
Or has pissed off some higher-up who's a tool?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back