Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mzungu is a bit of a worry. Good to see who the best players were

PEEL: Mzungu, Sheridan, Ballard, Weller, Bootsma, Hannath.
It's late and I've probably consumed too much bourbon so it seems an appropriate time to re-ignite the bootsma debate. ;) We really need to take a serious look at him in the draft. His performances are very consistent, on-field he's disciplined and predictable which is in stark contrast to his off-field behaviour. He has a booming kick and can shut down an opponent. He plays tall and small, I just hope he's still available at an appropriate pick for us.

It's late and I've probably consumed too much bourbon so it seems an appropriate time to re-ignite the bootsma debate. ;) We really need to take a serious look at him in the draft. His performances are very consistent, on-field he's disciplined and predictable which is in stark contrast to his off-field behaviour. He has a booming kick and can shut down an opponent. He plays tall and small, I just hope he's still available at an appropriate pick for us.

but but but I'm hanging out to see Weller in purple :)

Agree 100%. That's why I've got on him so early for my buddy next year :cool:

Didn't understand your first sentence.
Free kicks Subi 14 Peel 8

Re free kick it's when and where you get them, even the biased commentators said that one in front of goal was a push in the back and the other end was play on, 12 points there and it was early in the game.
All non Victorian clubs have there own team except Freo & Weagles, in Victoria of the top my head only blues, dees, Saints , roos, don't ( might have missed one) , with paid recruites to make up the numbers. Now you can see how the four sides are going with out there own team. The dogs won it last year and this year have improved emensly. It does not mean you can't win the premiership but it helps but as even the commentators said Ugle and Jetta only run one way.
PS, just remembered that Hawks are affiliated with box hill but control all things with the club and they have a weekly training together and it's also close and not one plus hours down the road. Anyway that's my take.

Quick recap of today's game, well the first 3/4s anyway.

It was a carbon copy of last week, perfect conditions for footy, 2 very good sides and plenty on the line for both teams. Peel started very well although the scoreboard at the end of the first qtr didn't reflect the effort and enthusiasm Peel brought to the contest. Just like the swans game last week subi's midfield gained the ascendancy in the 2nd qtr and it was game over from that point.
The better teams in the WAFL have plenty of big bodies in the midfield and play with the sort of fluency that comes with playing and training together for many years. Although peel's midfield is talented, the bodies are smaller and the fluency in ball movement is frequently, but not exclusively, interrupted by poor skills by the regular Peel players.
As I stated earlier some of the positioning and structures were bewildering. The forward line was, in the words of apuchar non existent. As talented as ugle and Jetta are you need a big guy to provide a point of reference and to bring the ball to ground. Moller was quite good in the ruck and in a few contests inside f50 but the 3 of them wouldn't threaten too many defenses. Croz, sherro and Duffy played much of the game in the back half of the ground.
Grey was left on Yarran far too long, was that a learning exercise? Yazz was very good but he did benefit from a couple of fortuitous spills out the back of a marking contest resulting in easy goals. Yazz pulled down one mark opposed to Moller, Hurley and Bootsma, how on earth does that happen? I wouldn't say that Chalky was pantsed by Yazz, in every contest between the 2 of them Grey was right on Yarran's hammer but would just miss the ball with his fist in the spoil or was out reached for the mark on a fast lead. I'm still pretty happy with how Grey handled the situation.
Hannath was very good, it's just a shame he's so one paced, he has no change of speed at all and Madut was able to run away from him a couple times although Hannath had the better of him in the ruck.
Sheridan was terrific playing the Duffield/Ibbo role.
Croz was good with ball in hand but spent the majority of his time deep inside D50 and starved of opportunities.
Mzungu started really well but went out of the game, he would stand next to Phelan at stoppages but they'd go their seperate ways once the ball was in motion.
Weller doesn't need to get a lot of possessions to cause some serious damage and he was really switched on early. I didn't see much of him in the 3rd though. He baulked and weaved effortlessly through traffic and disposed of the ball beautifully.
Duffy was ok and did some nice things from time to time.
Ballard was strong around the contest as usual but like Goddard against freo tonight, his possessions weren't damaging.
Tanner played well but he just does some dumb things too often for my liking. I still think he'll develop into a Dawson type KPD.
Deluca and TV both played their best games for Peel, I saw a side of TV I've never seen before. He took several very impressive, high leaping contested marks, one of them over the top of Madut.
Ed Langdon was involved in a couple of 65m ball movements, he looks good running off HB, he just needs a bit more size.
Hughes did alright in patches, his kicking was very good today, a vast improvement over last week.
I would second most of this. Was at the game until mid way through the 3rd when a 7yo chucked a wobbly and wanted to go home.My 3 cents worth:
- Weller is all class
- Sherro was good as well
- What was going on on with the forward line? Peel did'nt have one. I think the coach needs to be looked at.
- TV can take a grab, needs to work on his kicking though.
- Did'nt notice Hurley much but he seemed to stick to his man ok. Did a couple of good things though. In the 3rd he did a very nice sidestep and evasion to a subi player. He is very agile for his size. In only his 6th game of AFL does not look out of place. Also his kicking looked tidy as well. Def something to work with there.
- Hannath and Moller did ok in the ruck

But Peel is the Freo reserves much more than EP are the Eagles. The club and Freo are still working through things and the relationship is improving but not there yet. But it is helping the young player development no end.

Even if they were located at the same venue they won't train together. The WAFL players all have jobs. They only train evenings well after the AFL players have gone home.

And Jetta running one way? You get pretty pissed at watching him do that. No teacher like experience showing what's required.

And it's growing Freo in the community down there. I think it's a win win so far and getting better.

As an aside notice the Eagles reserves turned a 26pt 3/4 time lead into a 38pt loss!

I would second most of this. Was at the game until mid way through the 3rd when a 7yo chucked a wobbly and wanted to go home.My 3 cents worth:
- Weller is all class
- Sherro was good as well
- What was going on on with the forward line? Peel did'nt have one. I think the coach needs to be looked at.
- TV can take a grab, needs to work on his kicking though.
- Did'nt notice Hurley much but he seemed to stick to his man ok. Did a couple of good things though. In the 3rd he did a very nice sidestep and evasion to a subi player. He is very agile for his size. In only his 6th game of AFL does not look out of place. Also his kicking looked tidy as well. Def something to work with there.
- Hannath and Moller did ok in the ruck
How did Jordan Lockyer (ex Sydney)look for Subi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given his past indiscretions, he might well be.

More drama at Peel:

The chief executive at Fremantle’s WAFL affiliate Peel has resigned less than a month after being grilled in internal meetings over his conduct.
Bill Kostandas tendered his resignation on Friday, ending his two-year tenure at Peel.
The decision comes after a series of meetings with senior club officials John Ditchburn and Bob Ryan on April 13 in which Kostandas was asked to explain concerns over his work performance and running of an external sports advisory business.
In a letter written for submission to Peel’s board, Kostandas defended his decision to register the company BK Business & Sports Advisory, saying the firm had not been actively trading and that he had not breached the terms of his employment contract. Kostandas had also been quizzed over allegations of misuse of a sponsored car and a lack of reporting over the club’s financial position.
“I trust my response demonstrates that there has been no misconduct on my part arising from the circumstances that have been verbally communicated by you,” he wrote.
The West Australian can reveal Kostandas last month requested in writing a $147,400 lump sum payment in return for his resignation.
Ditchburn said no major payout had been made by the club. Peel’s board is due to meet tomorrow night to discuss finding a replacement.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/wafl/a/27839880/peel-chief-resigns-after-work-concerns/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys. Excuse the intrusion. Have been following Griffin's journey from afar and noticed he wasn't selected last week but can't find a reason why? Is he injured or has Hannath overtaken him? Any thoughts on where he's at this year?

Cheers. Appreciate any responses.

Hey guys. Excuse the intrusion. Have been following Griffin's journey from afar and noticed he wasn't selected last week but can't find a reason why? Is he injured or has Hannath overtaken him? Any thoughts on where he's at this year?

Cheers. Appreciate any responses.

He was an emergency and held over for the game.

lol you cop more of a fine for not carrying your student ID with you on the trains :drunk:
That's a $100 fine btw and ******* ridiculous. It's not even your student ID - you need to have a registered smartrider that says you're a uni student. If you buy a concession ticket but don't have a registered smartrider on you but you have your uni student ID to prove you're a uni student - you'll still cop a fine.
Sorry for the rant. Just think it's a bloody joke!

That's a $100 fine btw and ******* ridiculous. It's not even your student ID - you need to have a registered smartrider that says you're a uni student. If you buy a concession ticket but don't have a registered smartrider on you but you have your uni student ID to prove you're a uni student - you'll still cop a fine.
Sorry for the rant. Just think it's a bloody joke!
In the deep dark past prior to smartriders having your uni id wasn't sufficient, you had to have a sticker saying you were eligible. This isn't really any different (other than the having to identify yourself to third party I suppose)

The Peel team sheet it out, and the big news for us is that Zac Dawson wasn't named, and it appears that Josh Deluca is injured (or is he back in the ressies?)

TEAM LIST - ROUND 9
teamlist_graphic_02.jpg

FB: 42. Ethan Hughes 22. Tanner Smith 58. Sean Hurley
teamlist_graphic_04.jpg

HB: 28. Brady Grey 10. Joshua Bootsma 11. Joshua Mathers
teamlist_graphic_06.jpg

C: 14. Lachie Weller 19. Connor Blakely 1. Gerald Ugle
teamlist_graphic_08.jpg

HF: 17. Brayden Lawler 5. Leroy Jetta 44. Jacob Ballard
teamlist_graphic_10.jpg

FF: 26. Ed Langdon 38. Jack Hannath 24. Max Duffy
teamlist_graphic_12.jpg

FOLLOWERS
56. Jonathon Griffin
7. Tendai Mzungu
3. Brendon Jones

INTERCHANGE
2. Laine Wilkins
12. Benjamin Hancock
13. Stephen Kane
16. Nathan Fahey
20. Kieran May
40. Craig Moller
43. Thomas Vandeleur
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

IN: 2. Laine Wilkins, 12. Benjamin Hancock, 13. Stephen Kane, 19. Connor Blakely, 20. Kieran May, 56. Jonathon Griffin,
spacer.gif

OUT: 23. Hayden Crozier, 33. Thomas Sheridan, 39. Joshua Deluca,
spacer.gif

In the deep dark past prior to smartriders having your uni id wasn't sufficient, you had to have a sticker saying you were eligible. This isn't really any different (other than the having to identify yourself to third party I suppose)

Yeah, I guess the idea is to stop ineligible part-time students trying to scam discounts using their student card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back