Analysis Peel Thunder 2015 (TV schedule in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's griff it will be for Sandi or Clarke

Didn't they hold Hannath out last week?

I am starting to think that they are doing this on purpose just to give Moller more of a run with Peel. Last year Peel was very top heavy because of all our Ruckmen. I am thinking that the reason we are making a ruckman emergency every week is mostly that they are surplus to requirements at the moment.

Didn't they hold Hannath out last week?

I am starting to think that they are doing this on purpose just to give Moller more of a run with Peel. Last year Peel was very top heavy because of all our Ruckmen. I am thinking that the reason we are making a ruckman emergency every week is mostly that they are surplus to requirements at the moment.

Interesting theory especially if they unbalance the Peel side and there is no point running them in the ressies.
I think your theory is good.

Well that qtr didn't pan out how I hoped it might. There's something very odd going on here today. Peel have put all their run and, dare I say talent, behind the ball. The fwd line is bereft of talent and structure. Croz is playing out of a back pocket and Duffy is spending a lot of time inside d50. They have persisted with the yarran/grey match up even though Hughes is the same height as yazz. Moller drifts down into FF but it's basically just TV ugle and Jetta down there.

Well that qtr didn't pan out how I hoped it might. There's something very odd going on here today. Peel have put all their run and, dare I say talent, behind the ball. The fwd line is bereft of talent and structure. Croz is playing out of a back pocket and Duffy is spending a lot of time inside d50. They have persisted with the yarran/grey match up even though Hughes is the same height as yazz. Moller drifts down into FF but it's basically just TV ugle and Jetta down there.
Radio said basically the same thing. Bizzare.
Sounds like Hannath is dominating in the ruck at least. We sound totally dysfunctional. Same old rubbish.

Radio said basically the same thing. Bizzare.
Sounds like Hannath is dominating in the ruck at least. We sound totally dysfunctional. Same old rubbish.
On a more positive note Sheridan has been excellent taking intercept marks across HB. Weller is playing with the same zest he showed in his first couple of games. Hannath is dominating the ruck not just with his size but with clever positioning around the ball ups. Tanner is doing well in contests although he's still doing the odd dumb thing, losing his temper and poor disposal.

It never worked in the vfl with nearly all teams getting there own, commentator said two non Freo players can have all the skill you like but if you don't work hard it don't happen. The free kick count must be enormous against peel . Anyway off to watch Freo.

It never worked in the vfl with nearly all teams getting there own, commentator said two non Freo players can have all the skill you like but if you don't work hard it don't happen. The free kick count must be enormous against peel . Anyway off to watch Freo.

Didn't understand your first sentence.
Free kicks Subi 14 Peel 8

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a quick little chat to Haydn B Jnr at the game. He said yazz spent 6 years in gaol from the age of 18 but is a totally reformed bloke now. He said yazz once told him he'd be dead by now if he didn't go to gaol.
Yeah. He missed a lot of footy, so he is catching up. He is a very exciting player, but some of his decision -making last year suggested that he had missed a lot of footy at a high level. That part of his game seems to have improved. That makes a pretty good package.

Quick recap of today's game, well the first 3/4s anyway.

It was a carbon copy of last week, perfect conditions for footy, 2 very good sides and plenty on the line for both teams. Peel started very well although the scoreboard at the end of the first qtr didn't reflect the effort and enthusiasm Peel brought to the contest. Just like the swans game last week subi's midfield gained the ascendancy in the 2nd qtr and it was game over from that point.
The better teams in the WAFL have plenty of big bodies in the midfield and play with the sort of fluency that comes with playing and training together for many years. Although peel's midfield is talented, the bodies are smaller and the fluency in ball movement is frequently, but not exclusively, interrupted by poor skills by the regular Peel players.
As I stated earlier some of the positioning and structures were bewildering. The forward line was, in the words of apuchar non existent. As talented as ugle and Jetta are you need a big guy to provide a point of reference and to bring the ball to ground. Moller was quite good in the ruck and in a few contests inside f50 but the 3 of them wouldn't threaten too many defenses. Croz, sherro and Duffy played much of the game in the back half of the ground.
Grey was left on Yarran far too long, was that a learning exercise? Yazz was very good but he did benefit from a couple of fortuitous spills out the back of a marking contest resulting in easy goals. Yazz pulled down one mark opposed to Moller, Hurley and Bootsma, how on earth does that happen? I wouldn't say that Chalky was pantsed by Yazz, in every contest between the 2 of them Grey was right on Yarran's hammer but would just miss the ball with his fist in the spoil or was out reached for the mark on a fast lead. I'm still pretty happy with how Grey handled the situation.
Hannath was very good, it's just a shame he's so one paced, he has no change of speed at all and Madut was able to run away from him a couple times although Hannath had the better of him in the ruck.
Sheridan was terrific playing the Duffield/Ibbo role.
Croz was good with ball in hand but spent the majority of his time deep inside D50 and starved of opportunities.
Mzungu started really well but went out of the game, he would stand next to Phelan at stoppages but they'd go their seperate ways once the ball was in motion.
Weller doesn't need to get a lot of possessions to cause some serious damage and he was really switched on early. I didn't see much of him in the 3rd though. He baulked and weaved effortlessly through traffic and disposed of the ball beautifully.
Duffy was ok and did some nice things from time to time.
Ballard was strong around the contest as usual but like Goddard against freo tonight, his possessions weren't damaging.
Tanner played well but he just does some dumb things too often for my liking. I still think he'll develop into a Dawson type KPD.
Deluca and TV both played their best games for Peel, I saw a side of TV I've never seen before. He took several very impressive, high leaping contested marks, one of them over the top of Madut.
Ed Langdon was involved in a couple of 65m ball movements, he looks good running off HB, he just needs a bit more size.
Hughes did alright in patches, his kicking was very good today, a vast improvement over last week.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back