Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please Jmac, threatening gestures are not socially acceptable. No doubt a lot of people in the crowd would feel threatened by a man much bigger than them pretending to spear them.

Again, you interpret it as threatening, I do not. Can't see us agreeing on that.

Goodes said is was not intended as an aggressive act. You have chosen to interpret it that way. I have chosen not to interpret it that way. Move on.
I'm saying booing him has stuff all to do with racism. Move on.

like shooting fish...

If only we all could move on and never have to hear about this topic again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Discussions like this are important to advance our social standards as a society.

I just wish people would stop being so desperate to label everyone a racist who says or does a negative action towards a minority.

Sorry - I won't have you or anyone else tell me how to behave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you obey the law?

I'm saying booing him has stuff all to do with racism. Move on.

like shooting fish...

Does your last comment relate to your need to bully people on discussion boards?

Again, you interpret it as threatening, I do not. Can't see us agreeing on that.

It simply doesn't matter if you didn't interpret it threatening, the fact is it's entirely reasonable that some people WOULD find an imaginary act of violence threatening, therefore it should not be socially acceptable. Mine or your personal feelings are irrelevant.

Does your last comment relate to your need to bully people on discussion boards?
You might interpret this as bulling. I interpret this as pointing out where people go wrong by using logic. Move on.

It simply doesn't matter if you didn't interpret it threatening, the fact is it's entirely reasonable that some people WOULD find an imaginary act of violence threatening, therefore it should not be socially acceptable. Mine or your personal feelings are irrelevant.

My view is that the significance of the 'war dance' was over stated by some. For example, when it happened Eddie talked about the potential of it to incite soccer style violence. Of course this did not happen, a few people looked a bit bemused but nothing actually happened. All the dance did was give some people an excuse to justify booing Goodes. The sad fact is that we are a society that often fails to look at the bigger picture and prefer to concentrate on our own personal agendas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might interpret this as bulling. I interpret this as pointing out where people go wrong by using logic. Move on.

"Like shooting fish"... You really are a tosser.

Whatever Goodes has done to highlight the plight of Aboriginal people and racism has only succeeded in dividing people into very distinct camps. When Long reported Monkhorst for his racist remark or Winmar raised his jumper to show the colour of his skin to the crowd, white people took heed of their stance and adjusted their attitudes and behaviour over time. Goodes has not enjoyed similar support in his very public protest against racism. Why not? Because he does not command the same public respect as the other football activists?

The issues he has chosen to highlight are not as clear cut as calling someone a little b.... c... . In fact, he is regarded by many as having unnecessarily targeted a young girl and subjected her to public shame. Then he picked up on an on-air error of judgement from Eddie McGuire and was unforgiving in the offence he took to Eddie's remarks. For whatever reason he is being booed, it is quite obvious that he is not well regarded by a large number of football supporters. If for whatever reason he is regarded as a w*nker, all the discussion in the world is not going to alter this perception of him by those who disapprove of his public persona.

Those who call the booing response racist are polarising opinion on this issue in the same way that Goodes has done with his actions and now his reaction to the booing. I don't think this debate about the booing is going to have any positive outcome for indigenous people. Perhaps it is time for Goodes to hang up his boots and remove himself from the public arena, even if just for the sake of his cause.

I saw a proud Aboriginal man expressing his culture during Indigenous round. I did not feel threatened at all. In fact I enjoyed it.

I thought it was wanky myself. But each to their own. What I take exception to is the escalation in the vile and vitriol pointed towards him since the incident, which was basically a harmless gesture.

"Like shooting fish"... You really are a tosser.
Rather this than being incapable of putting forward an argument that isn't immediately smashed to bits and stooping to primitive personal abuse.

It was an aggressive act, designed to antagonise.
The fact he admitted he wouldn't perform it towards fellow Aboriginal players says it all.

I'm sure had he chosen a more peaceful approach to celebrate his culture it would have been applauded.

It was designed to provoke thought. Antagonism is a major exaggeration.

Look I don't really care about discussing the finer points of some posts I never saw. My general point is that we should take care of people and I'll take your post in good faith because I think you're a decent man.
Well we'll leave it at that, then, because the feeling is unashamedly mutual.

Logically it should probably be held to the same standard many propose for racism, that being;
*If a person is offended by a comment they feel is racist, then it is racist, ergo
*If a person is intimidated by an action they feel is threatening, then it is threatening.

However the caveat would be that if anyone knew he was inclined to do a war dance/celebration involving mimicking the throwing of a spear at the crowd, they would have expected it and would be much less likely to find it threatening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back