Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swooop

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2007
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fox Footy has been raising this issue lately a lot.

It seems that they feel that it's racism rearing its ugly head.

Martin Flanagan, an esteemed person imho, softened that stance a little and suggested that the booing gave any possible racist element a good 'screen' to boo Goodes.

I don't know the reason people boo Adam Goodes, but I'd be shocked if it was simply a racist thing.

We have so many indigenous players - none of them get booed so far as I know.

With Goodes I don't know so I'd be interested to know what possible reasons there'd be.

I've seen him dive, throw the head back for frees which is detestable, but not unique. Joel Selwood gets booed a bit, but often star players get this and he's a star as well as a head ducker. Lindsay Thonas gets booed a bit, surely that's purely because he's a free kick stager of great note.

Is Goodes booed because he's, or was, Australian of the year? Is that the reason... Maybe.

Is it because he's made racism such a big deal? The young girl was out of line but 12yo and his reaction to that could have been perceived as OTT - is that the reason. I don't know how that girl is going, but she may well have been extremely traumatised by that reaction. In fairness, Goodes didn't know she was 12 at the time he drew attention to it, and may well have reacted very differently had he known.

Was it because he has outstayed his welcome - and fairly publicly was the reason young Tim Membrey was squeezed out from Sydney?

Other reasons?
Some of each?

Be interested to hear any thoughts.

For me, bit of all the above but hopefully zero to do with racism.

Am puzzled why the Fox Footy guys have jumped straight to the assumption that it's racism without apparently considering any other possible reasons!!

The bloke is a champion.

Agree. He has been a great player over a long period of time.
Not sure why people feel the need to boo him to be honest.
Having said that I don't boo anybody, so the whole concept is beyond me.

Its interesting. I'm pretty sure that he took some cheap shots in the Grand Final (close to 1/4 time particularly). Hawk fans saw it and booed him constantly after that. I think they still remember. I'm listening to Mcavaney say its racist as I type...I think there's a small element of racism but I think his cheap shots and his diving rubs a lot of people the wrong way add to that his untouchable status in the media and you've got a cocktail of resentment.

I think he's a great player. I think Selwood's a great player. I'm more ready to boo Selwood for his diving then Goodes but I can understand why there's animosity towards him...and its not racist

I actually haven't seen any fan interviewed on this topic, so it's a bit of stretch to come straight out and say it's racist in basis.

I've booed him before, but only because I don't like the guy, I find him arrogant and someone who acts as if he superior to the average footy fan in every way (intellectually included).

Can you actually racist boo?

On a side note, Majak Daw plays his first senior game since being charged with rape last season. Is it ok to boo him or will that straight away be considered racist too?

Its not because of Racism as Jetta and Buddy did not get Booed.

He is Booed as he Plays for Free Kicks and is very Arrogant.

Typical Media make a Big Story out of Nothing and Un-Truths

Thanks Swooop for raising this topic.

I don't follow the AFL as religiously as I used to, and only read about this a couple hours ago as I was cruising the net, and had to resort to posting about this on the Swans board as it's something I find absolutely ridiculous, the notion that this is racially motivated.

Is it racially motivated? No.

Is this to say, that everybody who is booing him, isn't doing so because of his race? Also no. Like in ANY society, there will always be those who harbor racist views. But that doesn't mean they represent the whole group.

As for why he is getting booed, I don't personally know, but my theory is that it's an accumulation of factors, starting from the incident at the Collingwood v Sydney game. Snowballed into his appearances in the media, Australian of the Year, coupled with his antics on the field, and also the massive outrage by the media and finally mob mentality at games.

Ultimately, I think he has just slowly tarnished his reputation to the point of ridicule.

All bases covered in the OP with the exception of racism and Membrey for me.
It's simplistic, (supposed) journalism to play the racist card and it's simply not the case.
Arrogant flogs always get booed and even those like Bucks who people perceived to be arrogant do too.
Nothing to see here, move on I say.

Forgot to add, admire him as a footballer when he plays the ball.
He was a one man band in a game at the G in 2007 an absolute machine.
Don't like the sneaky knees and elbows that crept into his game

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't bother booing him, but I'm not a fan of him. I personally do not like some of his politics. Call it racism if you like, but you would be wrong. Statements such as "Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on" do nothing to move us forward as a nation. Not to mention that they are fundamentally flawed; "being there first" is no more valid a claim to ownership than wielding a much bigger stick when you arrive. That aside, I don't feel it's right that anyone born or even raised in this country who loves it as I do and Goodes does, ought to be told they're living on someone else's land. It is merely perpetuating the racism Goodes would like to extinguish.

I assume it's because he's a s**t bloke and absolutely nothing to do with race. I'd also say that to his face if I ever got the chance.

Ask Barry Hall for his thoughts on Goodes it'll paint a different picture to the "Australian of the year".

Oh and I don't boo players I find that weird.

I wouldn't bother booing him, but I'm not a fan of him. I personally do not like some of his politics. Call it racism if you like, but you would be wrong. Statements such as "Aboriginal people have been here a lot longer than anybody else, so just remember whose lands you are on" do nothing to move us forward as a nation. Not to mention that they are fundamentally flawed; "being there first" is no more valid a claim to ownership than wielding a much bigger stick when you arrive. That aside, I don't feel it's right that anyone born or even raised in this country who loves it as I do and Goodes does, ought to be told they're living on someone else's land. It is merely perpetuating the racism Goodes would like to extinguish.
Well said

It's actually just flat out racism if he said those exact words lmao.

As for booing I'd rather save my breath for Beams and Thomas.

Personally I can't understand why people boo him. Champion player, fantastic role model and leader. Sadly I do think there is a racist element to some of the booing.

Leigh Matthews basically has it spot on;

@LeighRMatthews: I suspect Adam Goodes is seen as a footballer cum political activist which polarises opinion and is why some opposition fans boo him

Native title is a law.

I get that, but indigenous Australians once "owned" 100% of Australia, did they not?

Their concept of ownership was very different to ours. They are the people of the land.

I think recognising them as The First Australians in the constitution would represent progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back