Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really can't be bothered providing any more evidence for you or Old Spice any more Jmac, Old Spice especially refuses to provide any what-so-ever of his own so it's become a bit tiresome. We will have to agree to disagree on some points.

I can only find two one game suspensions. Maybe my research skills are lacking.

It's ironic this thread discussing this issue has descended into a torrent of personal abuse. Discuss the issue and refrain from playing the poster please.

With respect GC, there is nothing ironic about it. The discussion was respectable until certain posters decided to troll the thread.

I'd take 7 guilty verdicts over 370 games, that's a pretty fair strike rate.

Brereton lecturing Goodes on the slide has to be the biggest joke of all considering Hawthorn used it as a deliberate tactic a few years ago.

Also, Dermie was not the cleanest player going around.

I really can't be bothered providing any more evidence for you or Old Spice any more Jmac, Old Spice especially refuses to provide any what-so-ever of his own so it's become a bit tiresome. We will have to agree to disagree on some points.

You make the claim mate, you back it up. It's not that hard for such a cut and dried case as Goodes, surely?

Of course she knew what she was saying. Her mother probably encouraged her.
Gotta disagree here JM.
A just turned 13 yo girl with a player running toward her/nearby who thinks "now what did my mum teach me when I come face to face with an aboriginal at the football, oh that's right.."
Spur of the moment innocent reaction to his facial features, you know and I know it.
The whole things been blown out of proportion and he's been opportunistic.
Whether the opportunism is right or wrong is the point for debate here, not the innocence, (or not) of a comment from a child.

You make the claim mate, you back it up. It's not that hard for such a cut and dried case as Goodes, surely?

It's become such a boring debate with you

"you didn't provide enough evidence"

"yes I did"

"no you didnt"

"yes I did, and you haven't provided any for your claims"

"yeah but no you didn't"

Your 'evidence' of dirty play for a player who has played as long as Goodes has is pretty feeble. Any muck-raker can produce some dodgy play over a 370 game career.

Who's trawling through James Kelly's career for cheap shots?

In any case I don't even accept Goodes is a dirty player, but no doubt people will be raking over his career with a fine tooth comb. It's an utter disgrace.
Spicey I don't think this line of arguing really helps this debate. There is enough evidence to say Goodsey, and I have loved his as a player, has pushed the boundaries of fair play at times. Many have been worse of course like many have been a lot worse than Juddy. Champs like Judd and Goodes have copped a lot more than they have given over the years but there is a history of some of them responding.

Multiple reports and guilty verdicts does contrast with most players. A Skilton or Rob Harvey say took thE treatment and got on with it. I don't have any problem with a Goodes doing a few dirty things as a player. I loved watching the Magros, Shaws, Kinks etc giving out plenty. To deny that he has such a record seems a bit counterproductive. He has stuck a few sneaky knees in here and there. I can forgive him for that but could never forgive a sniper like Robert Walls

I can't believe people actually think the war dance was actually aggression from Goodes. He used indigenous round to do a traditional dance. I guess he should have looked up the "let's all be best friends" traditional dance and this whole thing could have been avoided.

I wish we could embrace aboriginal culture like new Zealand has with the Maori. It is an essential part of new Zealand culture. We kick up this kind of fuss when someone does something similar here.

Gotta disagree here JM.
A just turned 13 yo girl with a player running toward her/nearby who thinks "now what did my mum teach me when I come face to face with an aboriginal at the football, oh that's right.."
Spur of the moment innocent reaction to his facial features, you know and I know it.
Whether the opportunism is right or wrong is the point for debate here, not the innocence, (or not) of a comment from a child.

That's bullshit Anzy, sorry. If you're willing to cut the girl some slack you have to cut Goodes some slack too. And as I said earlier in this thread, Goodes was not so much angry at the girl as hurt that she might say that.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-25/goodes-gutted-but-places-no-blame/4712772

"I've had fantastic support over the past 24 hours," Goodes said.

"I just hope that people give the 13 year old girl the same sort of support because she needs it, her family needs it, and the people around them need it.

"It's not a witch-hunt, I don't want people to go after this young girl.

"We've just got to help educate society better so it doesn't happen again."

Goodes said that Victoria Police asked if he would like to press charges but he declined, reiterating that the girl needs to learn why her abuse was hurtful.

"It's not her fault, she's 13, she's still so innocent, I don't put any blame on her," he said.

"Unfortunately it's what she hears, in the environment she's grown up in that has made her think that it's OK to call people names."

"I guarantee she has no idea right now how it makes people feel to call them an ape."

And really, why is Goodes the bad man here? He'd have no idea at all about her age. He instinctively pointed it out and then protected her the next day.

Give the guy a break, like he gave her one.

Spicey I don't think this line of arguing really helps this debate. There is enough evidence to say Goodsey, and I have loved his as a player, has pushed the boundaries of fair play at times. Many have been worse of course like many have been a lot worse than Juddy. Champs like Judd and Goodes have copped a lot more than they have given over the years but there is a history of some of them responding.

Multiple reports and guilty verdicts does contrast with most players. A Skilton or Rob Harvey say took thE treatment and got on with it. I don't have any problem with a Goodes doing a few dirty things as a player. I loved watching the Magros, Shaws, Kinks etc giving out plenty. To deny that he has such a record seems a bit counterproductive. He has stuck a few sneaky knees in here and there. I can forgive him for that but could never forgive a sniper like Robert Walls

Your point being?

With respect GC, there is nothing ironic about it. The discussion was respectable until certain posters decided to troll the thread.
It is ironic because this issue is not cut and dried to many so there is a degree of interpretation involved. Healthy debate can crystallise issues and even give posters a different appreciation of the points involved. However barbs have been thrown from both sides here and that polarises things, raises hackles and stymies the chance of the debate going anywhere.

That's a little ironic to me.

Gotta disagree here JM.

Are you saying that it's ok for a 13 year old white girl to call an aboriginal man an ape to his face?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your point being?
That there is enough evidence to sat Goodes isn't a cleanskin player. Is he as dirty as say Dermie or Rhys Jones no. But he has pushed the boundaries more so than the average player. As a Millane did but Rowdy didn't, as Tony Shaw did but Jimmy Clement didn't, as a Wayne Johnson did but a Craig Bradley didn't, as a San Mitchell does but a Shaun Burgoyne doesn't etc etc.

Are you saying Goodes is a a relatively dirty player in the comp? I just want to understand what you're saying.

Of course she knew what she was saying. Her mother probably encouraged her.
prove it
l have liked what u write mostly about this, but is just silly even for u

That there is enough evidence to sat Goodes isn't a cleanskin player. Is he as dirty as say Dermie or Rhys Jones no. But he has pushed the boundaries more so than the average player. As a Millane did but Rowdy didn't, as Tony Shaw did but Jimmy Clement didn't, as a Wayne Johnson did but a Craig Bradley didn't, as a San Mitchell does but a Shaun Burgoyne doesn't etc etc.

Ok and did any of those players or any other player in the history of the game ever get booed every time they went near the ball for 17 consecutive weeks?

how is the war dance different to the haka?

the haka is at the start of the game directed at the apposing team not at the crowd

Are you saying Goodes is a a relatively dirty player in the comp? I just want to understand what you're saying.
Yep I am. As I say I don't have any problem with it because I have really liked Goodes as player. He has always starred against the Pies while we beat them so that helps. It doesn't make any rational sense but there are certain "dirty" opposition players I have always liked Dermie, Plugger, Barry Hall etc etc because I loved the way they went about it. Other "dirty" players I hated with a passion Walls, Vin Waite, Wes Lofts, (maybe there is a pattern there) because I hated the way they went about it (1970 is still stuck in my craw obviously).

Love Goodes as a player so I don't mind him being a bit dirty. Makes sense not rationally but as a supporter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back