Booing of Adam Goodes (revisited after our Apology Ceremony)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1f15e71cf4a158fc93e3c0e36704d2bc.jpg
Lol

Again this thread has degenerated way off topic. Kappa and OldSpice I don't want to comment on the merits of your tête-à-tête other than to say it is off topic and not contributing anything. Get back on topic or we shut down. Forget the point scoring everyone.

Again this thread has degenerated way off topic. Kappa and OldSpice I don't want to comment on the merits of your tête-à-tête other than to say it is off topic and not contributing anything. Get back on topic or we shut down. Forget the point scoring everyone.

It's over, from my end at least.

Is Adam Goodes actually vulnerable? Not like he's a completely unknown first year player or something and has put himself in the public spotlight many times (and been forced on it a few times too of course). I wouldn't consider him any more vulnerable than say... Julia Gillard/Tony Abbott.
I think the PC answer would be "no", but it feels like a lie. Suspect the answer has to do with the fact that I'm not in an oppressed minority, but at the same time to label Goodes as being more vulnerable than me might unfairly diminish him... but given some language that could be used against me without any realistic fear of reprisal...

12df412d8f82f89b0164425bd96ae484b802ea18f47fa9348ca04e0ea2961023.jpg

Wow, this topic is making people tense here and on the radio.

Dermott Brereton and Rebecca Wilson just had a massive spat on SEN.

Crikey. Dermie wasnt happy was he. Funniest part was when he spent a couple of minutes yelling at her then told her to stop talking over him

prove it
l have liked what u write mostly about this, but is just silly even for u

I am just speculating. In my experience children often mimick their parents.

For the record I will concede that it is dangerous to label thousands of people as racist for booing Goodes. The reasons for the booing have been debated in great detail and good points have been made by both sides of the argument. What is clear is that the player himself is interpreting the booing as being racially motivated. From this post forward anyone who continues to boo is making a deliberate choice to communicate in a manner that causes racial offence and therefore risks being labeled a racist. My hope is that issue will increase awareness of the struggles of Aboriginal people and encourage the government to pursue meaningful reform. You will all be pleased to know that this is my final word on the subject. Apologies to all who I may have offended.

For the record I will concede that it is dangerous to label thousands of people as racist for booing Goodes. The reasons for the booing have been debated in great detail and good points have been made by both sides of the argument. What is clear is that the player himself is interpreting the booing as being racially motivated. From this post forward anyone who continues to boo is making a deliberate choice to communicate in a manner that causes racial offence and therefore risks being labeled a racist. My hope is that issue will increase awareness of the struggles of Aboriginal people and encourage the government to pursue meaningful reform. You will all be pleased to know that this is my final word on the subject. Apologies to all who I may have offended.
Great summary JMac

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just speculating. In my experience children often mimick their parents.
and sometimes children say it how they see it as well. at her age how will really now unless asked.

I can't believe people actually think calling Goodes an ape because "he looks like one" is okay. Wow.

The point is that if you boo from now on you are a bully and doing something that a majority of the football public thinks is racists. Again when he dives or does something bad boo away, but if you boo him constantly it is an act that is considered by Goode's to be racist.

Also the whole war dance thing, it was not meant to offend, the fact that people are offended is ridiculous. And the haka wasn't perfect it took time to become what it is today.

Have a look at this month pythonesque sketch:

Directed at the crowd too!! How insulting and aggressive of them!!

I think you mean "intent" to be racist, because what she said was clearly racist, but she didn't understand it was
Splitting hairs maybe but if she had no idea a term was racist when she used it she isn't being racist. Doesn't change that is a racist term but a person can't be held to be racist if that do not know that. To be labelled a racist the person had to understand the term was racist and use it accordingly.

In this situation the term is racist, the girl isn't.

Splitting hairs maybe but if she had no idea a term was racist when she used it she isn't being racist. Doesn't change that is a racist term but a person can't be held to be racist if that do not know that. To be labelled a racist the person had to understand the term was racist and use it accordingly.

So if someone robs a bank and then claims they didn't know it was wrong to rob banks, they are in the clear?
I know I am using an extreme example but I do so to show you, you are perhaps wrong.
"Intent" mitigates the issue it doesn't dismiss the issue

So if someone robs a bank and then claims they didn't know it was wrong to rob banks, they are in the clear?
I know I am using an extreme example but I do so to show you, you are perhaps wrong.
"Intent" mitigates the issue it doesn't dismiss the issue
Nonsensical example. If a person robs a bank they rob a bank period. They may want to claim they didn't know it was wrong which would beggar belief anyway but they would still be held accountable.

This is a more subtle area to interpret. We are asking for a moral judgement not the legal one a bank robber would face. Still it is pretty clear cut. If someone uses a term without any intent to be racist and with no knowledge that the term is racist they are not a racist even if the term is known to others to be a racist one.

Morally how can you accuse someone of being racist if they had no intent or knowledge of the racist connotations of what they said. Doesn't change the fact that the term they used was racist.

If this is the case with the girl then she wasn't being racist and there can really be no conjecture about it.

Nonsensical example. If a person robs a bank they rob a bank period. They may want to claim they didn't know it was wrong which would beggar belief anyway but they would still be held accountable.

This is a more subtle area to interpret. We are asking for a moral judgement not the legal one a bank robber would face. Still it is pretty clear cut. If someone uses a term without any intent to be racist and with no knowledge that the term is racist they are not a racist even if the term is known to others to be a racist one.

Morally how can you accuse someone of being racist if they had no intent or knowledge of the racist connotations of what they said. Doesn't change the fact that the term they used was racist.

If this is the case with the girl then she wasn't being racist and there can really be no conjecture about it.
You are wrong, it is a legal argument
I wouldn't dare to tell you your job so please.....

She was racist in the moment. To be 'unconsciously incompetent' still means you are incompetent. Knowing the consequences of her words now, if she was to repeat it I would think her just more culpable than previously.

The bottom line for me is that it is possible to dislike Goodes but believe strongly in the need to address the position that indigenous Australians find themselves. I have done so, both work wise and financially.

I have never booed anyone so it is easy for me in that regard. However, as fellow human beings, surely despite our thoughts on our 'entitlement to act' in a particular way, that 'right' is outweighed by the fact that those actions are hurting a fellow human.

The people that see a broken man and still argue for their rights to continue to break him come from a place that is more than dislike or based on a few behavioural issues they attribute to the person.

You know what pisses me off about this whole thing... Double standards... Adam Goodes is now well and truly, the face of double standards within this PC bullshit country.

The amount of players who have played before him to have been boo'd religiously... Stephen Milne is a classic!!
I'm going to suggest that all of the indigenous supporters who boo'd Milne through the infamous "rape" years were racist..... How *ing ridiculous does that sound and how racist does that make me to suggest that every indigenous supporter boo'd Milne because of the colour of his skin.

If Jobe Watson had of reacted that night in Perth when the entire stadium shook from the boos he endured. Had he turned around to a portion of the indigenous crowd, pulled out an imaginary automatic weapon and threatened, via dance, to mow them all down..... What would that outcome have looked like? He'd have been the most racist person in the country, banned for a record amount of games and had possible police charges laid.

But if Goodes/Jetta do it, it's *ing brave?!

Adam Goodes... I don't give a s**t what colour your skin is.... I don't care what your sexual orientation, religion or taste in food is. For you to be adhered the highest honour of being an Australian and then continue to incite race war with your reverse racism bullshit, you sir... should be boo'd. You should be boo'd at every game you play... While you're walking your dog.... While you're washing your car.... You should be boo'd until such time that you realise that you hold the ability to unite, rather than divide. Don't remind us who's country we live in.... I didn't personally do anything to you.... Don't diminish the day we celebrate our country and how great it is... Celebrate it with us... We are all Australian!! We can all live together. It shouldn't matter what the colour our skin is.

Stop playing the victim card and pull your *ing head in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back