Crowd of 37,894 against Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm an MCG legends member and have been to every game except there this season but IMO Saturday afternoon is no longer the preferred time slot.
A lot of people work Saturday's now.
That combined with the team and the competition as a whole or all adds up to a smaller crowd.
Also however we aren't the only ones, Richmond vs Hawthorn on Friday night with two sides in the top of the ladder, two large clubs and could only get 66, 305.

I understand that people cant get to games for a lot of reasons (money, family, other commitments, dont live in Melbourne, never go anyway, etc). But I dont understand the attitude behind not going, because we are not playing well, and seeing it as some way of 'punishing' the club. TBH, I never thought I'd see the day when Pies fans didnt turn up to watch and support our team. I've always admired the Demons, Tigers and Dogs fans who go year after year, when their team is poor.

So we just walk away, until the team starts to mature and gain more experience, and then we come back again?

I hope we are at the bottom of a J curve in terms of performance, and fan attendance.

I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. I am just calling it as I see it.

And there is another dimension to this. Our supporter base, and the money it brings in through bums on seats and memberships, has sustained this club for 120 years. It is what has made us great, got us to more grand finals than any other club (for a less than perfect return:cry:), and helped us stay at or near the top for decades. Because it brings in $$$.

Withdrawing support has financial implications for our club. It cuts into the very thing that makes us a dominant force in the AFL.

We can't have it both ways. If we want to stay a great club, and get back to the top, we have to go to the footy, buy memberships, buy merchandise, and watch our televised games. These are all important numbers, and they are particularly important to our generous sponsors. Because if numbers drop, then sponsors will look elsewhere.

None of us want to see the club sponsored by a shower curtain manufacturer?

Last edited:
I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. I am just calling it as I see it.

And their is another dimension to this. Our supporter base, and the money it brings in through bums on seats and memberships, has sustained this club for 120 years. It is what has made us great, got us to more grand finals than any other club (for a less than perfect return:cry:), and helped us stay at or near the top for decades. Because it brings in $$$.

Withdrawing support has financial implications for our club. It cuts into the very thing that makes us a dominant force in the AFL.

We can't have it both ways. If we want to stay a great club, and get back to the top, we have to go to the footy, buy memberships, buy merchandise, and watch our televised games. These are all important numbers, and they are particularly important to our generous sponsors. Because if numbers drop, then sponsors will look elsewhere.

None of us want to see the club sponsored by a shower curtain manufacturer?

I think the one thing that never gets brought up in relation to crowd numbers is the obvious stuff.

It's 2015, people just have more stuff in their lives to keep them occupied. This just gets exacerbated when your team is a poor performing one. I mean, look at Hawthorn. They basically ARE the "new Collingwood" and still aren't regularly getting massive crowds. I think honestly, people just don't care that much about football anymore.

Between constant rule changes, off field dramas, drugs, rolling mauls and flooding, low scores and all the other bullshit that comes with our game, people have better things to do. It's hard to deny that as a society as a whole, people just have more stuff to keep their interest than we did 50, 40, 30, hell, even 15 years ago.

This obviously ignores the Foxtel elephant in the room. Foxtel has pretty good HD coverage of the footy and for those who don't want to watch they can keep an eye on the scores via an app and if the team wins, they have the game IQd and can enjoy it when they get home. If they see their team lose, then they can ignore it wholesale.

I used to go to the footy religiously, but my life has changed a lot over the last 10 years and as I've gotten older I've realised the futility of getting myself so worked up and so upset over what those 22 highly paid players do out there every week. I have too many things in my life now that don't cost me as much money and provide me with far less anger and frustration as Collingwood do. So why should I bother if they're not going to? Remember, they get paid BIG money to be out there, I don't. I'm the one paying the money to be there.

I think the one thing that never gets brought up in relation to crowd numbers is the obvious stuff.

It's 2015, people just have more stuff in their lives to keep them occupied. This just gets exacerbated when your team is a poor performing one. I mean, look at Hawthorn. They basically ARE the "new Collingwood" and still aren't regularly getting massive crowds. I think honestly, people just don't care that much about football anymore.

Between constant rule changes, off field dramas, drugs, rolling mauls and flooding, low scores and all the other bullshit that comes with our game, people have better things to do. It's hard to deny that as a society as a whole, people just have more stuff to keep their interest than we did 50, 40, 30, hell, even 15 years ago.

This obviously ignores the Foxtel elephant in the room. Foxtel has pretty good HD coverage of the footy and for those who don't want to watch they can keep an eye on the scores via an app and if the team wins, they have the game IQd and can enjoy it when they get home. If they see their team lose, then they can ignore it wholesale.

I used to go to the footy religiously, but my life has changed a lot over the last 10 years and as I've gotten older I've realised the futility of getting myself so worked up and so upset over what those 22 highly paid players do out there every week. I have too many things in my life now that don't cost me as much money and provide me with far less anger and frustration as Collingwood do. So why should I bother if they're not going to? Remember, they get paid BIG money to be out there, I don't. I'm the one paying the money to be there.

I agree that people have other priorities. Not disputing that. It's just the 'withdrawal of support', or the threat of it, that riles me.

I agree that people have other priorities. Not disputing that. It's just the 'withdrawal of support', or the threat of it, that riles me.

I can understand how it would. But it depends on your persepctive. I'm not necessarily "withdrawing support". The Club wouldn't know whether I go to the football or not and already have a portion of money from my AFL membership as it is.

It's not a threat. No one person would matter. Hell, collectively we don't matter. We only got 37K to Melbourne and we didn't hear about it. Why? We still have almost 77K members paid up. Cancelling memberships is the only threat the Club would listen to. If I was to cancel my AFL membership, I wouldn't be surprised if I received a letter not long after asking why.

Given I'm not going to cancel my membership, my only avenue left to stop willfully bringing misery on myself is to stop going until things improve. So I am still technically "supporting" the club via continued membership, I'm simply not rewarding their incompetence with my attendance (from here on out).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy to go to every game whether we are top of the ladder or watching the kids develop during the lean years.

But if I was to stop going it would be mainly due to 'Match Day Experience'. Can't stand the constant advertising, kiss-cam, music, promotions etc.

Take me back to the 1980's

The Match-Day Experience is not Great.

They are trying to make like America but we live in Australia

I am not a bandwagoner, I've been supporting this club since 96' when my uncles were showering me in collingwood scarves.

I just don't understand why people should spend their hard earned money on a team that isn't exciting to watch and nor is performing.

It's not cheap going to the footy.

You actually are a bandwagoner.
Being a supporter would mean turning up and supporting your team regardless of how well they're travelling!!

I'm gonna be honest..

I didnt go because it was really cold and it was going to be a horrendous game.

I'm a home game member and it's only the 2nd game I've missed in 6 years.

Will be there with bells on vs the Blue Baggers.
I figure if i go and watch the ressies too it makes up for last game.

I'm an MCG legends member and have been to every game except there this season but IMO Saturday afternoon is no longer the preferred time slot.
A lot of people work Saturday's now.
That combined with the team and the competition as a whole or all adds up to a smaller crowd.
Also however we aren't the only ones, Richmond vs Hawthorn on Friday night with two sides in the top of the ladder, two large clubs and could only get 66, 305.
Also a Legends' member and sit in N11 of the Great Southern Stand for home games. I reckon the area and adjoining sections were about 1/3 full and I was in a row of about 20 seats which had maybe 5 people sitting in it. The same people have been sitting around me for many years but they are definitely dwindling in their attendance.

Also a Legends' member and sit in N11 of the Great Southern Stand for home games. I reckon the area and adjoining sections were about 1/3 full and I was in a row of about 20 seats which had maybe 5 people sitting in it. The same people have been sitting around me for many years but they are definitely dwindling in their attendance.

I on bottom of Great Southern Stand and Then there are tons of Seats around me that have never been used since I been sitting there for the last few years

The afl and the media juggernaut that drives the dollars needs to have a think about their product and why it has been so strong for so long.

Personally I think they're losing their way. Every week there seems to be a front page story about something other than football. Charities, personal stories about players and coaches, and relentless political messages are not the way to go. Not to mention the rule changes, the dedication of every round to some cause( effectively diluting the importance of all of them), the introduction of medals for almost every game, the loss of local grounds, the loss of the first in best dressed mentality at blockbusters which used to create huge hype, the loss of reserves as curtain raisers and the pies taking away the grand final ballot for the run of the mill member.

Footy support at grounds has progressively become more dull over the past decade as we all get educated by the media about the correct way to present ourselves in public.

What's the answer? Don't know for sure but I do know my passion for the game has been decreasing almost every year. Perhaps the crowd numbers are because there's a few people like me who once never missed a game live but now are happy to watch it on TV

You actually are a bandwagoner.
Being a supporter would mean turning up and supporting your team regardless of how well they're travelling!!

Keep your opinion to yourself.

It's too expensive and the game is not as good a spectacle as it used to be.
The AFL has tinkered with the rules so much and I think a lot of people have become disenfranchised with drugs, racism etc.

Not to mention the rise of soccer and increasing other options available to families to do.

I enjoy local comps better lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back