Mega Thread The 2015 Buckley coaching megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have Nathan = with Ross yet, but I suspect he'll get there.

What leads you to suspect that he will get there? I have seen nothing really that gives me the impression that he's well on the way.
Going for youth is not unique. Wanting your own culture likewise. All his match reviews are all based on pure stats and we saw on Saturday that the stats don't stack up.

He has a talented group of young players (Thanks to Hine), but that's all I am seeing at the moment.

Ok. So the point then is that Bucks isn't loved or hated any more or less than most AFL coaches, past or present.

In any case, coaches don't need to be 'liked' by players, not even in this touchy-feely/Gen Y day and age. Some are notable for inspiring some affection (Hinkley comes to mind, Hardwick as well), but surely the only thing which matters is that the playing group understand what they're being told and have some confidence that the message will get the right result. I don't think that there is any suggestion that Buckley has 'lost' the players on this front.

Spot on. Another way in which I could put it is if you asked Pendles and PK (an example based on the rumours he's knocked back our contact offer) how well respected Buckley is internally I think you'd get answers at odds with each other.

What leads you to suspect that he will get there? I have seen nothing really that gives me the impression that he's well on the way.
Going for youth is not unique. Wanting your own culture likewise. All his match reviews are all based on pure stats and we saw on Saturday that the stats don't stack up.

He has a talented group of young players (Thanks to Hine), but that's all I am seeing at the moment.
Leadership.
He looks in control
Looks in charge
Most at that level have extensive football smarts, so he's not lacking there.
Understands where he's going.
Has direction.
Dosnt panic.
Most of all dosnt read big footy for his football knowledge. Sorry but I don't think big footy is the font of all football knowledge, as bizarre as that may seem.
Some coaches look and sound weak, not in charge.
Nathan is a born leader who seeks self improvement.

Ross Lyon terrific and had successes but still without premiership.

Both Ross Lyon and Bob Rose share three grand final losses as coach without a win.

Leadership.
He looks in control
Looks in charge
Most at that level have extensive football smarts, so he's not lacking there.
Understands where he's going.
Has direction.
Dosnt panic.
Most of all dosnt read big footy for his football knowledge. Sorry but I don't think big footy is the font of all football knowledge, as bizarre as that may seem.
Some coaches look and sound weak, not in charge.
Nathan is a born leader who seeks self improvement.

Ross Lyon terrific and had successes but still without premiership.

Both Ross Lyon and Bob Rose share three grand final losses as coach without a win.

This is true.....but thank god for Bobby Rose. He was Collingwood for many years.

The mods warned against this the other day; I'd really prefer that they enforce the edict that posters shouldn't disrespect a legend of the club in this way.

No, they said not to call him a F world which rhymes with log.

So many tears for a done deal.. absolutely not going anywhere strap yourselves in get comfortable accept reality you can't handle the truth.. pick your cliche

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell that to the coach :D

I used to have a bit of time for Jessie White, more than many around here. But lately I've felt a creeping hostility to the man and his foibles, and now I suspect that your avatar has made me unkind. I will try to resist this darkness.

Stopped reading.
Actually if you go back to the link, I found the comments more interesting, even a reference to BF.

"What a terrible article! The only possible explanation for publishing this is that Jack Kerr needs comments to hit his monthly KPI.

Of all the departing players named, how many of them have gone on to greater heights? And yet somehow, if they stayed, they would form the nucleus of a premiership-winning team? Nay, a premiership-winning dynasty?! The only one that has maintained his form is Heath Shaw, and we all knew he would, but the Pies needed a Luke Ball replacement much more urgently than anything else, hence the Shaw-Adams trade.

I can find more sophisticated analysis of the game on Bigfooty. This is just muckraking tripe."

An opinion blog from Jack Kerr. Proves what?

Just read it. Garbage article which stinks from the first few lines, gets worse thereafter. Seriously, there are enough unhinged opinions right here on our own board: Do we really need to import some more from outside?
I think you'll find there's a typo in his name.
Piggy backing off Damo?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-26/pies-2016-starts-now

Not so much piggy backing; just another shark in the water. And it seems Barrett wants to stir up a bit of blood in the water before the season is out, rather than letting is simply slide into the off-season to lick our wounds. So be it.
Barrett is hurt and is trying to deflect.
To say it starts this week is simplistic thinking. What we will do in 2016 , won't be done with the player group at this point of time. Even if we lose the next two matches, it will enforce the perception this season was a lost cause, not change the prospects of 2016.
And Go Pies.

An opinion blog from Jack Kerr. Proves what?
That mr Kerr's parents could have named their son better perhaps Wayne?

The knob refers to Buckley saying that he hadn't seen anything like it in 20 years. Buckley was talking about the injuries suffered in the Brisbane game.

At least we know now where Peter S gets his information from.

I think you'll find there's a typo in his name.
Piggy backing off Damo?
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-26/pies-2016-starts-now

jack kerr is a "journalist" who lives most of his time in Berlin. He is a self-proclaimed documentary maker on things environmental. His previous interest in sport revolves around soccer... and often soccer in germany.

This particular piece that he wrote is an opinion piece. It is not a piece of journalism as he does not offer any new information. He hasn't interviewed anyone. He does refer to some old facts about ladder positions but other journalists have referred to these on countless occasions.

The only thing that I can offer to explain this opinion piece is that he is paid money by the Guardian to write stuff that people will read. A drover's dog would be smart enough to know that writing about Collingwood will deliver the cash into his hands so that he can pay for this Berlin appartment.

As for Damien, well we all know and respect him as a ferret. He makes contacts and talks to lots of people to find out rumours. He's good at that. He has a demeanor that would encourage me to give him some info, if he was seeking something from me. A bit like feeding a seagull or a pet rat. He gathers this information and makes some predictions. It's a valid way to make a living. However, he has used none of these skills to write this opinion piece. He has merely trampled down old worn out paths that other opinion-piece bloggers have written before. He offers nothing new. He glibly refers to a few high profile collingwood recruits in degoey and moore but doesnt bother to go further but this isnt a piece of analysis, it's a piece of writing that is intended to place Damo in the same league as Robbo and the rest. ....the so-called footy expert. Damo.....please go back to doing what you have done in the past.... hang around the toilets at footy clubs... check out the rubbish bins.... taste test some of the used condoms..... stick to what you know..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back