Selling hope Collingwood style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, Scott still believes Geelong's best is good enough to beat anyone in the comp. It's just a coach talking his team up.

I actually like what the Pies have done with their list. If they can get Treloar and Aish as well as find a KPF that can actually kick goals they would be looking pretty good.

Footy is just a bit of fun

why would any club actively talk down their club and remove the "fun" and "hope"?
sadly there is more to it than that for other supporters.

There aren't many clubs i can think of that in the last 20 years haven't been in the doldrums.
There is 1 team good enough every year, Another 5-7 that have a decent season, 3-5 who give hope for the following years, then a bunch who had a terrible year.

Last year, Eagles were a non-factor and questions over Simpsons coaching arose. Now, top 2.
Year before, Port came from nowhere.
GWS and Gold Coast have come close in recent years.

2015 provided the most open top 8 in years and its great to see clubs like the Dogs and Crows get in and look like they are good enough to do some damage.

As for the Pies, they are very young.
Backline of Oxley, Langdon, Frost, Williams, Sinclair, Scharenberg being led by Brown/Reid, Grundy in the ruck, Moore, De Goey, Crisp etc coming through.
Future is pretty bright for the pies. 2017 should be a good year for the Pies. Whether Bucks' is in charge is another question. But he has built a good young list in the post-MM years
And that's without any more recruiting coups.

No one sells false hope like Brisbane. 'One of the best mid fields in the comp, beams + bundy on their way, good chance for top 8..'

Next minute, wooden spoon.

Maybe next year..
To be fair 'One of the best mid fields in the comp' is true.

After eight consecutive finals series from 06-13, Collingwood rebuilt the list with 14-15 being two years where we pumped games into young kids.

2014 we finished 11-11 with a % of 94
2015 looks like another 11-11 finish with a % above 100 coming up.

How many clubs would take a couple of 11 wins seasons as their worst performance of a decade??

The team is already on the upward curve, as evidenced by the % increase, and the expectation should be to make finals in 16 and then be pushing for top4 and a chance at a flag in 17.

I'm very bullish on Collingwood, due to ladder position this year they should get a favorable draw next year which means i think they can push for top 4. They have talent across all key age groups. They've traded very well and stocked up on high draft picks and they rarely get it wrong at the draft. Still have a slight query on Buckley but he deserves the next 2-3 years to prove himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit like Carlton saying they are going to win 2 premierships in the next 5 years, that was in 2011 I think. Not sure if they really believed it or just political?

I found it fascinating to hear the final wash up of people talking about Collingwoods win over Geelong on Friday Night the last couple of days. All of a sudden there was a new found optimism from the Collingwood fans again. I heard Bucks on the radio yesterday talking up the future and responding to a question about the next Premiership crack being 2017 but who knows what can happen next year.
I just thought it was an extraordinary response from a coach who had just won his second game in 10 matches and whose team is sitting 12th on the ladder. Now this isn't a dig at Collingwood or Bucks, as you can see, I'm a Carlton fan and at least Collingwood have some sort of future to look forward to. Of course he isn't going to say that Collingwood cannot make the finals in the next couple of years but do people really believe there is a premiership in Collingwood in the next 5 years? I see this as more of a political move on Buckleys behalf, we are on track, don't spoil it by moving me on in the next few years.
It seems to me that footy clubs in general are pretty damn good at selling the dream but rarely delivering, after all, there is only one premiership to be one one per year and many clubs slugging it out.
Hird thought Essendon were two years away from a flag as well:cool::confused::(:cry:

Voss did the same thing, deja vu every year.

I think he's right to be targeting 2017. Young side, plenty of upside, just need experience. Showed this year they are competitive but need some experience to go from competitive to contender.

Didn't like him as a player, but as a coach he's great. He's one of the few that doesn't over spin things. Sure there is positivity, but it's not overt

Well it's simple really - Bucks and the team probably don't look only at Wins and Losses to gauge the development of the group.

Look at our results over this losing run:
Lost to Freo by 7 pts
Lost to Hawks by 10 pts
Lost to Port by 3 pts
Lost to WCE by 31 pts (were within a goal at 3QT)
Lost to Bulldogs by 18pts
Lost to Melbourne by 37pts
Beat Carlton
Lost to Sydney by 11pts
Lost to Richmond by 91pts
Beat Geelong.

Other than the Melbourne game - which of those games were we tipped to win? And we were tipped to lose to Geelong, so that evens up that wager. The Richmond loss was clearly disappointing, and there were a lot of things that came out of that... but the team responded the way you want a team to following a thrashing.

---

Now you can look at the run in 2 ways.
You can say it was 2-8 - s**t result, s**t team, should be bottom of the ladder. Thats the simple response. Thats the response half of bigfooty has taken. I can't begrudge you for taking it, I can't factually tell you you are wrong.

Personally, I look at it a very different way - and Bucks and the people who actually matter in our players development likely view it the same way:
It was s**t to not win any of those close games. There is something that seriously needs to be looked at in our fourth quarters particularly when in half of those games the ball was in our forward half for most of the 4th quarter... I put it down to poor decision making and execution when under that intense pressure... part of that is skills, part of it is maturity. I'm hoping that improves as our group gets older. (and with the possible recruiting of some extra 'class' to go with a team that is largely 'grunt')
But - we have also gotten very close to beating the top 4 teams on the ladder. Our game plan and our team stood up for 90% of those games. There are some very glaring things that need to be improved, but personally I have seen enough to be optimistic about what lies ahead.

Just look at the Hawthorn loss as an example. We really should have won that, and were on top all day. They just had the right skills and execution that whenever our guys were slightly off at the contest, Hawthorn punished us, and got 2-3 over the top easy goals against the run of play. You can look at that and say - we played s**t we lost. Or you can look at that and say we got close to beating the reigning back-to-back premiers who were in the middle of an 8-game winning streak, and won their next 3 by a combined 299 points. (including demolishing 2 other contenders in Sydney and Freo).

Love how people never quote the close wins

The Colliwobbles are still transitioning, late season nosedive this year shouldn't bother them so long as they have a long term plan (which I suspect they do).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back