News Stevie J to Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry the bio is from 2014, so in 2015 average 1.5 goals from 20 games.. NO BROWNLOW VOTES IN 2015
2015 Season Average
Games Played 20
    • Kicks 12.8
    • Handballs 7.8
    • Disposals 20.6
    • Marks 4.9
    • Hit-Outs 0.0
    • Tackles 2.3
    • Goals 1.5
    • AFL Fantasy 86.6
So maybe Righteo has a point:rolleyes:

'15 was not his best year - maybe he was hobbled by injuries or personal factors who knows? -but he's still infinitely superior to De Boer or even Mayne.

20 disposals & 1.5 goals per game? Yes please.

Who me or Freo?
Here we were sitting on the top of the ladder and no-one outside Freo thought we had a hope in hell of achieving anything significant in the finals because of our continuosly failing gameplan and unconvincing performances, against the best sides in the competition and even some of the lower sides that we just managed to scrap past. Credibility. Zero, Zilch 00000000000.

Last edited:
'15 was not his best year - maybe he was hobbled by injuries or personal factors who knows? -but he's still infinitely superior to De Boer or even Mayne.

Righteo was correct in a lot of what he said, although Stevie got back into some reasonable form late in the year and had a great game against the Crows

His truly good games are few and far between these days and the rest of the time he can actually be a huge liability. His body can no longer respond to his batshit insane decision making anymore meaning he's found new and inventive ways to turn the ball over in recent years. It's particularly damaging when a blind-spin, semi-cartwheel opposite-side handball misses a target in the corridor and the opposition waltz in easy goals.
Too arrogant or stupid to try and play within his age-induced limitations and just doesn't understand the concept of a percentage play. Honestly can't see him being anything other than a huge failure in a Ross Lyon side.
Again... Who would you rather play? Stevie J or Suban/ De Boer each week?

Again... Who would you rather play? Stevie J or Suban/ De Boer each week?

If it was up to me I'd be playing Weller/Langdon/Croz/Blakely over all of them. Pointless hypothetical anyway, should I be rating every player in the comp that's better than Suban and co? Because that would be most of them.

If it was up to me I'd be playing Weller/Langdon/Croz/Blakely over all of them. Pointless hypothetical anyway, should I be rating every player in the comp that's better than Suban and co? Because that would be most of them.
We can still play Stevie J and give games to the kids. Sub rule is gone we can use a spot or 2 to play the young guys each week.

We can still play Stevie J and give games to the kids. Sub rule is gone we can use a spot or 2 to play the young guys each week.
I wouldn't mind, except he looked well past his best this season. Even his goal kicking was all over the place. Makes it hard to know if he just wasn't into it this year because he thought he was going to be delisted or if he is fading.

I wouldn't mind, except he looked well past his best this season. Even his goal kicking was all over the place. Makes it hard to know if he just wasn't into it this year because he thought he was going to be delisted or if he is fading.
Well heres the thing.... Freo don't need to trade the farm to get him. He is a free agent. I don't see Freo trading our 1st round pick.

I'm not sure Johnson had a preseason this year, his ankle was giving him grief.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And as others have stated, his football brain and coaching ability should not be forgotten. All reports suggest he has a top shelf football mind. He could go a long way to sorting our forward line out and teaching our players a few things. If he can be a solid player (e.g. like his last 5 or 6 games of the year), that would be a nice bonus.

I wonder what the salary cap rules are on a playing assistant coach? I assume there's no loophole where you pay him 300k outside the cap to coach, and 150k under the cap to play.

The Brownlow votes for SJ in 2015 is irrelevant. Scott had him playing in weird positions most of the year and he was out of favour. That is the issue for me more than his form. He is not going to be a midfielder if he plays in 2016. So I guess it will depend on Pavlich, McCarthy, Bennell and who we delist.

I totally get the "I would rather develop our current list", and that will be the case if players are GOOD ENOUGH to help us get top 4 again. I do not see 35 goals coming from any forward we have other than Pavlich, Walters and Ballantyne still. If Bennell comes in he could easily achieve that.
A Stevie J playing only forward - he would be able to achieve that.

Mayne - still not convinced - yes his pressure is good but it has not helped us kick more goals.
Alex Pearce - not convinced on his kicking, but has potential.
Tabs - probably the most likely to hold a key spot, he could have a good year but I suspect he will be inconsistent.
Crozier - competing with Ballas and Walters - really will only get games if they are out.

Geelong is pretty spot on with their delist of older stars. Podsiadly and Chappy both only managed 1 full year at their new clubs even though they look fine at the end of 2013.
Johnson probably have 1 year left in him. As good as he is, not sure it's worth the list space tbh.

Geelong is pretty spot on with their delist of older stars. Podsiadly and Chappy both only managed 1 full year at their new clubs even though they look fine at the end of 2013.
Johnson probably have 1 year left in him. As good as he is, not sure it's worth the list space tbh.
Worth it. We need him and ballas. Enemy become teammates and win a flag .

A caller to Eagle radio on Saturday, claiming he had family connections, said Steve Johnson would be playing in W.A next year.
Of course they ridiculed him but he said it.
And as others have stated, his football brain and coaching ability should not be forgotten. All reports suggest he has a top shelf football mind. He could go a long way to sorting our forward line out and teaching our players a few things. If he can be a solid player (e.g. like his last 5 or 6 games of the year), that would be a nice bonus.

I wonder what the salary cap rules are on a playing assistant coach? I assume there's no loophole where you pay him 300k outside the cap to coach, and 150k under the cap to play.

That would be the same loophole wc used with Coxy in his final two seasons. Ruck Coach, coaching himself.

Pods had at least 2 years at Adelaide and even in his last few games he was kicking bags of 11 odd goals in his SANFL team. He'd have been getting a game with us this year, just obviously held out by Tex, Jenkins, Sauce etc.

Pods had at least 2 years at Adelaide and even in his last few games he was kicking bags of 11 odd goals in his SANFL team. He'd have been getting a game with us this year, just obviously held out by Tex, Jenkins, Sauce etc.

Oh man, I was really hoping we grabbed him when Geelong delisted him in 2013. Our 2014 may be very different with him at Pav's side. Not sure about SANFL, but I'll take your word for his fitness in 2015 :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back