2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. People keep saying he has a terrible conversation rate, but if everyone here is wanting Tom Bell because of his performance in 2015, then those same people can't discredit Casboult's efforts this year either.

Both players improved immensely this past season, so saying Levi has a poor conversation rate isn't quite right given his improvement in the past 12 months.

Yep. And I'm not even factoring in how much players seem to magically improve when they leave Carlton, only basing it on current output.

Think you're underestimating Bell and Casboult. I would happily hand over the pick we get for Redden for both of them.

Like others have mentioned, Casboult was a very reliable set shot for goal after he started working with Sav at the start of the year. He kicked 24.12 in a poor team with limited scoring opportunities. Not to mention he is one of the best contested marks in the game. He's young and he will continue to improve and when our midfield is up and running next year he will have a lot more scoring opportunities. Rate him a lot higher than Close who will struggle to get a game next year if we did get Casboult.

I think you are overlooking the amount of shots Casboult put out on the full. I appreciate that he is getting those shots, but I don't think he is the reliable set shot that people are putting him out to be. Watched quite a few Carlton games this year, and not impressed in the slightest. They don't have strong KPP stocks and he is the best of a very very bad bunch. he would struggle to make the best 22 at most clubs.

I hope they're true too, but I agree, I have no idea why they'd trade him. Unless they've got a long term plan for a rebuild ala Saints, rather than a quick turnaround, in which case they're looking for a complete youth policy and think that Levi will ask for a trade/leave via free agency before Carlton are in the finals.

Trading Casboult for a high pick now may be worth their while, but I'm not sure if the Lions will have anything worth while to trade for both him and Bell.

Fingers crossed though!

We may have to trade a future pick

I would have considered Casboult surplus to our needs. He can take a great grab but his conversion rate makes him no better then any of the young forwards we have now.

Plus the possibility of picking up Casboult could lead Carlton to picking up Sache as they will be in need of a forward and I know I'd certainly prefer Sache over Casboult and Wietering (I know Wietering is the better player but his flight risk is too much for me)
Surplus to needs? Last time I checked we didn't have too many burly early twenties forwards who can smash packs and take a contested mark like Levi can. Yeah we have promising young forwards but all with very raw bodies.

Last edited:
Think you're underestimating Bell and Casboult. I would happily hand over the pick we get for Redden for both of them.

Like others have mentioned, Casboult was a very reliable set shot for goal after he started working with Sav at the start of the year. He kicked 24.12 in a poor team with limited scoring opportunities. Not to mention he is one of the best contested marks in the game. He's young and he will continue to improve and when our midfield is up and running next year he will have a lot more scoring opportunities. Rate him a lot higher than Close who will struggle to get a game next year if we did get Casboult.
I don't think I'm underestimating them at all. Unless we plan on being stuck in the bottom 4 for the next few seasons, both will be fringe players at best in the long term. They could fill a couple of holes in the short term, sure. Should we be willing to part with Redden for that? Nope.
If we do get them, the deal should reflect what they're worth to us(not much). You're looking at their best form- but that's a very small sample size. Fair chance we could be parting with a 1st round pick for a couple of NEAFL stars. We got Christensen for something similar last year, just to put it in perspective.

I think you are overlooking the amount of shots Casboult put out on the full. I appreciate that he is getting those shots, but I don't think he is the reliable set shot that people are putting him out to be.

An out on the full is a clanger, as are frees against. He had 24 clangers, 10 frees against, so at worst he kicked at about 50% for the year - 24 goals and a maximum of 26 misses if you're counting them all as out on the full which seems unlikely. That's not great but it's not awful.

I think you may be looking at the individual players in a vacuum, to some extent.

For me, Casboult as a forward is probably not that far off where Redden ranks as a mid league-wide. Both have good tools and a few limitations We have substantially greater depth in mids than mature forwards. Bell softens the blow in the midfield, though he's probably a slight downgrade, but adding a marking forward into that mix would be an easy net win I think.
Agree Kevvo....Reddon very inconsistent,to quote Jack, Dyer, a good average footballer. Maybe even,not so good. And behind Hanley,Rocky,Christenson.Robinson,Rich,McGrath and almost anyone who wants to play onball!

Based on this year alone Bell is as good a footballer if not better than Redden. Add in a 25-30 goal a year forward like Casboult and we win that deal easily. Robinson has surpassed Redden in the role they both play anyway.

Redden has been carrying an injury all year! God, i really wished people would actually do some research before coming up the the cliche response "Redden hasn't met his potential" or "Redden has fallen backwards".

Redden has been carrying an injury all year! God, i really wished people would actually do some research before coming up the the cliche response "Redden hasn't met his potential" or "Redden has fallen backwards".

I think everyone has been concentrating on the "Redden wants out" part and trying to justify within themselves to part company with him but as far as I'm concerned may as well be Dayne Beams when it comes to a trade.

I also understand after about 400 pages of intense reading that most here are very realistic about our chances of a fair trade but I'd overrate the guy until the deal we want is struck in every forum possible!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 17 for 2 C graders in their mid 20s. I don't think that deal makes sense.

I'm confident that if fit Freeman can play at a similar level to Casboult next year without costing us a first rounder and Bell will make SFA difference to the side. I doubt we'll get pick 17 for Redden anyway.

Pick 17 for 2 C graders in their mid 20s. I don't think that deal makes sense.

I'm confident that if fit Freeman can play at a similar level to Casboult next year without costing us a first rounder and Bell will make SFA difference to the side. I doubt we'll get pick 17 for Redden anyway.
That depends on if you think they are C graders or could be better than that.

Getting pick 17 for Reddo and shifting it to Carlton for Bell and Casboult would be ideal.
I'd trade Redden for Bell an Casboult every day of the week and twice on gameday. Redden has just been "meh" the past few seasons and he has a good game once every 4 weeks. Bell while not as clean as Redden makes up for it with his sheer will to win at all costs. Casboult chucked in makes for a ready made forward-ruck who will take the best defender every week and allow Freeman, Close and maybe McStay to develop. Helps that he is probably a top 2-3 contested mark in the game as well.

If we can get Bell and Casboult for Redden and a pick in the 30's I'd be wrapped. Why you ask??

I think a straight swap of Redden for Casboult is fair. Much harder to find a big man that can take consistent pack marks than a slightly above average midfielder.

A pick in the 30's is where I see Bell. We got pick 33 for Doc based on potential mainly..... Giving them a similar pick for Bell may be a touch generous.... But the guys contracted and would probably deliver some real value at the rate anyway. Just do it.

We have been a soft team for a long time.... Having three hard nuts in Robinson, Bell and Robertson would set a standard internally and make the opposition a little weary when they attempt to pick up a ground ball in congestion....

I think you are overlooking the amount of shots Casboult put out on the full. I appreciate that he is getting those shots, but I don't think he is the reliable set shot that people are putting him out to be. Watched quite a few Carlton games this year, and not impressed in the slightest. They don't have strong KPP stocks and he is the best of a very very bad bunch. he would struggle to make the best 22 at most clubs.

Doesn't look that bad :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back