Unofficial Preview 2015 AFL draft thread - needs, wants, prospect discussion, the whole nine yards - all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Just did a quick calculation and we appear to now have 39 on the senior list and 2 on the rookie list. Therefore unless we add a DFA we can add 3 category A rookies (including Woodward).
Delistings were Lake, Hale, Simpkin, Suckling, Woodward and Anderson.
Additions were Fitzpatrick, Burton, Lovell and Hardwick and Heatherly.
Category A rookies currently 2
Category B rookies currently 2.
Assuming I have not missed anyone we appear to have the ability to add 3 Cat A rookies and 1 Cat B rookies should we wish to do so.
Cat B spot has been filled by that Irish lad I believe.

Hardisty and Grimley gone from rookie list so assuming we will get Woodward back there is 2 spots on the Cat A rookie list and 1 on the senior list if we want to fill it.

We have played our hand like a 3 time reigning premier with a very late first round pick and an early second round pick. We took two guys that other clubs would have liked to take but could not afford to take the risk on.

Burton was seemingly a top 5 pick pre injury and sounds like the perfect modern footballer. Tall, athletic, skilful. Can play key forward, high half forward and probably midfield. His injury meant sides with too much to lose could not risk a top 15 pick even if they wanted to. We could. He's a risk but one worth taking.

Lovell's numbers (number 1 champion data player in the U18s) and athletic testing (number 1 for agility, great endurance) are the sort of data that usually equates to a top 10 pick. But he's 174cm and sides don't risk early picks on guys that size these days. His height is a risk but one worth taking. There are players his height who are very good inside midfielders - Neale, Prestia. No reason he can't be too. Our best player of the last 15 years - Mitchell - is only 179cm. Our most recent norm smith medallist is only 177cm.

We lose in 2012 one missing piece in the puzzle ,a key defender ,we recruit one Brian Lake ,,,,well bugger me if we don't win the next 3 flags with lake winning Norm smith in one and going close in the other 2 .Lake retires after the 2015 flag and we have arguably the best defender in the draft available with our first draft pick to replace him (logical choice you would think ) what do we do pick a guy with a horrendous injury with our first pick but hey still a lot of good young kids around with our 2nd but we go for ........ a 173 cm mid from Tassie . Been following this club and our picks for years and this is going back to the dark days when Peter Schwab was running the show.

I know, mate, I know, we are stuffed - I'm tearing up my membership as we speak.
Damn plastic cards!

(Bookmark for laughs in the year 2020!)

Im pretty happy with who the club has picked. Definitely let out a little squeel when I saw Burtons name.

I must admit that the last few drafts ive suffered from that tacky "In Wright We Trust" mindset where I actually feel better about us picking blokes that may not be rated so highly by other clubs. Makes me feel like they see something they want in the player.

Didnt like the Hill or Hartung selections at the time, loved Garlett, Sicily and was neutral on Howe, Pittonet and Miles last year.

But each came with a certain sense of confidence that they at the very least have a good shot at making a splash in the comp in a few years.

See good strong competitiveness and confidence in all three.

Good draft.

I know, mate, I know, we are stuffed - I'm tearing up my membership as we speak.
Damn plastic cards!

Microwaves, my friend, microwaves. Richmond FC endorsed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know nothing about recruiting but in my opinion the hardest thing to teach a player is putting your head over the ball and finding the ball. Lovell has this in spades. He has flaws that can and will be ironed out in an AFL environment. I believe a lot in here are disappointed because other players have looked better now, but when wrighty is recruiting he is thinking what the player will become.

The reason I love this club is they back themselves in. Some decisions may not work, but without risk there is no reward.

I know nothing about recruiting but in my opinion the hardest thing to teach a player is putting your head over the ball and finding the ball. Lovell has this in spades. He has flaws that can and will be ironed out in an AFL environment. I believe a lot in here are disappointed because other players have looked better now, but when wrighty is recruiting he is thinking what the player will become.

The reason I love this club is they back themselves in. Some decisions may not work, but without risk there is no reward.

Yes, the history of recruiting shows that none of these players will be a regular player for at least 2 years. In a strong team, you have to win your place, and that will take time.
And, in any case, a fair number of top 10 players turn out pretty average.

So they are players for 2018 onwards, and their development is what will determine whether they make the grade, or even develop into high quality players.

Be patient, lads and lassies.

Because we are supporters of the footy club, our job is to support...
Supporting the club is a 'unconditional'. So, there's another line the optimistic crew use now.."because I support my club"! Welcome to the three boys to our great club but in my opinion they need a lot of luck to make it. It doesn't mean anything more than what you think, just an opinion.

Damn plastic cards!

Just a bit frustrated with our 2nd pick is all Burton worth a risk I suppose Jake Stringer's leg was broken so bad it was pointing at right angles the pic I saw and he's come back ok .A lot of people comparing this guy as the next Sam Mitchell ,Brad Sewell even Poppy because of his size but got to remember where in the draft those guys were picked up yet we picked this guy up with a pick that would've enabled us to get a marquee player for the next generation with what was still available according to the experts. Anyway that's my opinion which I obviously falsely assumed I was entitled to ,the draft over for another year see who lines up for us round 1 2016.

Selection No.19 – Ryan Burton
"He started training with North Adelaide last week and was doing various physical activities, so he’s ready to step things up with us. We've watched him play and train regularly and (fitness coach) Andrew Russell has a terrific record with getting players right so we’ll trust him with Ryan." – Graham Wright

Selection No.22 – Kieran Lovell
"Averaged 34.5 touches in the (under-18 carnival) and at TAC Cup Level. He's only 174cm but when you watch him play, it doesn't seem to be an issue. He could play senior football next year." – Graham Wright

Selection No.44 – Blake Hardwick
"He kicked one bag of 12 and another of 10 this year. Can play as a traditional forward or a high half-forward, and we think he could play next year." – Graham Wright

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

To those concerned about our selections, I do understand where you are coming from. After all, I considered last night's picks as being imperative as to where our club will be in 5 years time. I must admit, I thought we'd play it safe as we had 2 low picks for the first time in eons, but the club recognised we were on the brink on losing legends such as Hodge and Mitchell, and you can't replace them with good players. To stay on top of the heap, we need to recruit superstars. For Hodgey, that means a number 1 pick, for Mitchell, it means identifying obscure talent with huge upside.

Thus, the Hibberds and Collins of this world went elsewhere and we rolled the dice. Were we too risky for low picks? There's the argument. But we've been doing this for a while so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise and it really is hit and miss. For example:
  • We know you're recovering from a car accident and even worse, your first name is Beau, but you could be a superstar. So we're gonna take a chance on you.
  • You have all the skills to make you a top 3 pick Dayle, but alas there is baggage that has dropped you to our 2nd pick. But we think you could be a superstar so we're going for it.
  • You're a bit wayward and you're rumoured to have a big 'go home' factor about you. Even worse, you want everyone to call you Buddy, which doesn't help you appear mature. However, you can be a bit freakish and we think you could be a superstar. Who, knows, you could be the next player to kick 100 goals in a season, so we're gonna take a chance on you.
  • You have the worst interviewing technique and you even appear disinterested in proceedings at times, but you have the nous and skill, and the pedigree of being the nephew of Maurice Rioli and Michael Long, so we're giving you a shot.
Yeah, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm convinced we had to take a chance with Burton as he could be a superstar. We appear to have identified Lovell as a future Mitchell and were that keen that we weren't prepared to risk him for our third pick.

In short, we selected risky because if it comes off, we're premiership contenders again in a few years. If not, then sure, we're fubar. But Hibberd and Collins would have barely kept us hovering around the top 4 and we soon might have found ourselves losing elimination finals. That's where my thinking takes me. Our draft picks were worth the gamble in my humble opinion.

Just a bit frustrated with our 2nd pick is all Burton worth a risk I suppose Jake Stringer's leg was broken so bad it was pointing at right angles the pic I saw and he's come back ok .A lot of people comparing this guy as the next Sam Mitchell ,Brad Sewell even Poppy because of his size but got to remember where in the draft those guys were picked up yet we picked this guy up with a pick that would've enabled us to get a marquee player for the next generation with what was still available according to the experts. Anyway that's my opinion which I obviously falsely assumed I was entitled to ,the draft over for another year see who lines up for us round 1 2016.

But no one knows how any player will develop.
Have a look at the number of top 10 players who are decidedly average or even duds. The draft is a lottery, and any player may end up a star.

Even Luke Hodge. If you followed this board in 2003-2004 when Judd was starring for West Coast, the common view was that we made a mistake by choosing Hodgey. Not just a mistake, a HUGE mistake. Judd was one of the greatest ever and Hodgey was struggling; one poster called Hodge "just another half back flanker".

How did that turn out?

By the way, I have to apologise for my earlier sarcastic posts, Ian Bremner was a favourite of mine, so I have to respect your name!

Burton tested well at the combine by the looks of it. It's not like we have no idea if he'll even be able to walk without a limp.

We have the luxury of not having the need to rush him to play this year. Can take his time with his recovery back to full strength.

To those concerned about our selections, I do understand where you are coming from. After all, I considered last night's picks as being imperative as to where our club will be in 5 years time. I must admit, I thought we'd play it safe as we had 2 low picks for the first time in eons, but the club recognised we were on the brink on losing legends such as Hodge and Mitchell, and you can't replace them with good players. To stay on top of the heap, we need to recruit superstars. For Hodgey, that means a number 1 pick, for Mitchell, it means identifying obscure talent with huge upside.

Thus, the Hibberds and Collins of this world went elsewhere and we rolled the dice. Were we too risky for low picks? There's the argument. But we've been doing this for a while so it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise and it really is hit and miss. For example:
  • We know you're recovering from a car accident and even worse, your first name is Beau, but you could be a superstar. So we're gonna take a chance on you.
  • You have all the skills to make you a top 3 pick Dayle, but alas there is baggage that has dropped you to our 2nd pick. But we think you could be a superstar so we're going for it.
  • You're a bit wayward and you're rumoured to have a big 'go home' factor about you. Even worse, you want everyone to call you Buddy, which doesn't help you appear mature. However, you can be a bit freakish and we think you could be a superstar. Who, knows, you could be the next player to kick 100 goals in a season, so we're gonna take a chance on you.
  • You have the worst interviewing technique and you even appear disinterested in proceedings at times, but you have the nous and skill, and the pedigree of being the nephew of Maurice Rioli and Michael Long, so we're giving you a shot.
Yeah, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I'm convinced we had to take a chance with Burton as he could be a superstar. We appear to have identified Lovell as a future Mitchell and were that keen that we weren't prepared to risk him for our third pick.

In short, we selected risky because if it comes off, we're premiership contenders again in a few years. If not, then sure, we're fubar. But Hibberd and Collins would have barely kept us hovering around the top 4 and we soon might have found ourselves losing elimination finals. That's where my thinking takes me. Our draft picks were worth the gamble in my humble opinion.

Quality post.

Playing it safe is the biggest risk as it puts us in a tweener position of not rebuilding or not in premiership contention. Similar to North Melbourne.

Burton could be a star. Pumped to get him at 19. Basically our compensation for losing Anderson is looking a whole lot better

yea, most of us know this though. As for my opinion? Too much risk in all three but we wait.

Three very good choices. The thing I like about GW as with Clarson is they think outside the square and are innovative. If Lovell is a success the others will follow.

Nailed it
Who knows if the Weitering will be a gun or if Schache will kick bags of goals at AFL level
Every pick is a risk
I like the pick of kids who find the footy, kids who seem to like a bit of body contact and like to get a bit dirty
The common thread of our picks last night is that all three seem like they will bust a gut to succeed
I am not normally big on stats, but the thing that caught my eye about some highly regarded midfielders in this draft was just how little they actually found the footy
Lovell averaged mid 30's a game, regardless of opposition
Hardwick found the footy mainly as a deep fwd and kicked goals
Burton could be anything, his highlight package were as good as I have seen
I am very content with these picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back