Bill Shorten - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

You call that 'risks'?
Try talking about risks to people working on building sites, electrician, road works for less money and less super, you are a joke.
Said it before and will continue, get out a bit more and meet some real people.

it is not about devaluing those occupations, it is simply understanding and respecting the importance of attracting better quality politicians than we currently do

dumb_dumber-30353.gif

Fair dinkum:rolleyes:

please feel free to apply for the job

it is not about devaluing those occupations, it is simply understanding and respecting the importance of attracting better quality politicians than we currently do
Or being a policeman, firefighter, emergency services etc they face daily risks.
I could go on but by now surely you know the only risk a politician takes is if flying, going to a bar and getting intoxicated, then hitting on a female colleague and then getting caught out...

Australia may have dodged a bullet there

Of course, the international community as a whole is far poorer for not having your wisdom filtering through the political classes.:$:$

Now let's have a more forensic look at this rather large bowl of spoiled tripe which you served up last night...

There are some rockmelons out there who take things too far and would want to hurt the politicians and or there families.

Oh please...tell me the last politician who got assassinated in Australia...or whose family in fear of their lives currently?

This isn't Mexico, Iraq or Afghanistan mate.

The fact is that the personality type of a person who runs for public office is generally that narcissistic that they welcome the public spotlight and any real, or perceived, dangers. They welcome the attention, in fact they thrive upon it. Very, very few pollies are in it to serve the country, it's what is in it for them that matters.

many would also be taking a lower pay than they could otherwise earn in civilian life.

I'll be sure to tell Jacquie Lambie, Bob Katter, Joe Bullock and Eric Abetz that when next we meet.:rolleyes:

To a point, I do agree that politicians are underpaid, but the current crop contain that many spuds, who would be hard pressed to hold down a toilet cleaning job without factional party room support and endorsement, for it to be enormously difficult to prosecute the argument.

You can't just look at salary payments in isolation either.

Look at domestic travel entitlements, family benefits, office subsidies, post political life career paths through connections and downright corruption...also getting placed in some obscure committee that entitles you to travel the world in luxury at the tax payers expense on a 'fact finding mission'.

FFS...it is the ultimate gravy train, and sets you up for life if you have more than two functioning brain cells.

many also spend too long away from home, which puts their own family relationships at risk.

Oh the poor, poor little possums. Are they ok?

Let's compare the average MHR with your run of the mill FIFO worker, (people who people like you willingly exploit, with complete disregard as to their family circumstances), shall we?

Lets compare them with the small business owner struggling through life.

Hell let's even compare them to a middle level manager whose life is completely owned by the corporation as he struggles to climb the ladder to success, pay the mortgage and save his marriage.

can you think of any others?
No, but I'm certain that you can come up with even more unpasteurised horseshit. It's what you do

Ok, so as is it not OK for me to suggest what another person thinks, can you please do it?

He either means they don't work on the other 302 days, or they don't do anything that is worth a salary, considering the mention of $196,000 and 63 sitting days.

Elected officials do most of their work when parliament is not sitting.

This is part of the stuff Power Raid was alluding to: why put yourself up to this sort of uber-scrutiny when you can earn 10 times as much with little public scrutiny working in big business? Ask Mark Arbib.

Don't worry about it though; it's only the country that is at stake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then explain to me what he meant. Why mention those two figures in a sentence with no other figures? He's saying its $193,000 for 63 days. There's no getting around it.

Then explain to me what he meant. Why mention those two figures in a sentence with no other figures? He's saying its $193,000 for 63 days. There's no getting around it.

Firstly, how about you do people a service and quote or tag them when replying...that way they don`t have to check if you are talking to them when an alert comes up.

Secondly, the basic tenant of a government is to draft, debate and vote upon legislation...for only 63 days a year to be dedicated to the last two is an indictment on the system and a principal reason why governments cost so much and achieve so little.

You're selectively interpreting what Juddism said to suit your narrative. I'm explaining to you that he's smarter than that, (and you know that anyway), but you want to be a pedant.

Firstly, how about you do people a service and quote or tag them when replying...that way they don`t have to check if you are talking to them when an alert comes up.

Secondly, the basic tenant of a government is to draft, debate and vote upon legislation...for only 63 days a year to be dedicated to the last two is an indictment on the system and a principal reason why governments cost so much and achieve so little.

You're selectively interpreting what Juddism said to suit your narrative. I'm explaining to you that he's smarter than that, (and you know that anyway), but you want to be a pedant.

Here you go. I'll keep my request for later now that I've done you a service.

If you think they're only dealing with legislation when they are in parliament then you don't appreciate the entire picture. Debate happens away from parliament too.

I always like when someone suggests that our elected officials only work when parliament is sitting.

lol..I always like it when people assume, given the work being done by Briggs & Dutton over the past few weeks it's safe to say they're more than well compensated. You did note that I said "base". Tony Abbott, wonder what he's been up to for the past 4 months on the BB? you'll be happy to know that his salary just rose to $200,000 a year, yeah, another pay rise.

63 days a year the house sits to debate and legislate and the other 300 days, yeah, well, who knows what our MP's get up to...texting, drinking, harassing women?!? I bet you wouldn't be able to shed any light.

that's right, there is no getting around it..and it just went up again, now $200,000 base, now, you go tell me what your local MP is up to today.

Many people are on leave - it's the 4th of January.

If parliament is not sitting, most MPs would be meeting with constituents or community groups, attending functions (many as the guest of honour so the holders of that function can speak to the MP and raise concerns with government policy), responding to correspondence, developing policy, meeting with other MPs to discuss and decide on legislation.

Now I don't think you'd consider that work. Your previous comments reveal this. You certainly don't consider it valuable. But the ones at work today probably aren't sitting in front of the TV waiting for the covers to come off.

I'm not here to defend the antics of Briggs and Dutton - their behavior is certainly not good enough. But the common denominator amongst most people who denigrate what our elected officials do is that those people haven't met any of them, save for probably a cursory interaction in front of a polling booth.

Then why the $193,000 - 63 days comment? Because what they do away from parliament isn't worth anything. You get to play this logical two step because you are two different user names.

Many people are on leave - it's the 4th of January.

If parliament is not sitting, most MPs would be meeting with constituents or community groups, attending functions (many as the guest of honour so the holders of that function can speak to the MP and raise concerns with government policy), responding to correspondence, developing policy, meeting with other MPs to discuss and decide on legislation.

Now I don't think you'd consider that work. Your previous comments reveal this. You certainly don't consider it valuable. But the ones at work today probably aren't sitting in front of the TV waiting for the covers to come off.

I'm not here to defend the antics of Briggs and Dutton - their behavior is certainly not good enough. But the common denominator amongst most people who denigrate what our elected officials do is that those people haven't met any of them, save for probably a cursory interaction in front of a polling booth.

Again, you can't do people the common courtesy of quoting or tagging them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back