List Mgmt. Player Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The AFL are campaigners.

We ****ed up our list management. Macca19 is right - if we had drafted another ruck, no-one could care less about top ups.

I repeat, the AFL are still campaigners.

Time to move on.
I actually don't! Care less, that is. It really doesn't impact on the Power team much at all imo. Whatever ruck we would have got, would never have got close to an AFL game, his sole role would be support for Frampton in the SANFL. Reality is, that our problem was the loss of Ryder, once we lost him, it was time to move on and plan the season without him, we were never going to be able to "replace" him. I am sure the club will come up with a strategy to support and protect Frampton.

My main gripe is the moral principle that was violated by the AFL, and the pathetically inept way they went about making the Dr decision. Disgust stuff really!

In my mind we have lost Ryder and Montrose to "injury" ... All clubs get these at this time ... Stangd up Roughhead! The positive is that 1) the fringe boys get to strut their stuff, 2) the team and the club will start the season angry as hell, and with a point to prove ... Great!!!

Whose this Montrose fella you speak of?

We haven't lost Ryder and "Montrose" to injury.
There's a pretty clear difference between losing a player to injury and losing them due to another club being caught out and punished for their doping program.
From my understanding, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't even allowed at the club on any level official or unofficial.
An injured player can still be around the playing group at training, at games, etc. Ryder and Monfries aren't allowed anywhere near the club as part of their ban.

Which I think is ******* ridiculous. The Port Adelaide Football Club aren't the ones who were doping up their players. I can understand if the ban was related to Essendon, but banning them from another club, is just illogical.

heck these international courts and bodies that our governments have handed over power and oversight to.

They've lost 12 players and can only select up to 10 players. So they take a hit as well. The only difference between the two lists is that Essendon have a Cat B rookie. Big deal.

My thoughts are that if we had a 3rd or 4th year Ruck on our list already noone would give a s**t if we got a replacement or not.

Ehh, imo Monfries is a bigger loss than Ryder.

I cant find where the code says the player can return 2 months before the 13 November ban ends, but its been widely reported in the media.

It comes from Clause 172 of the CAS ruling, which actually references the 2015 WADA Code rule 10.12.2.

Given that Mark Jamar has already signed for Essendon, I'm not sure there's anyone out there we could get any use from as a top up player. The big mistake we made was back in November. I am still a bit boggled that the club didn't see this coming to be honest.

Whose this Montrose fella you speak of?

We haven't lost Ryder and "Montrose" to injury.
There's a pretty clear difference between losing a player to injury and losing them due to another club being caught out and punished for their doping program.
From my understanding, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, they aren't even allowed at the club on any level official or unofficial.
An injured player can still be around the playing group at training, at games, etc. Ryder and Monfries aren't allowed anywhere near the club as part of their ban.

Which I think is ******* ridiculous. The Port Adelaide Football Club aren't the ones who were doping up their players. I can understand if the ban was related to Essendon, but banning them from another club, is just illogical.

**** these international courts and bodies that our governments have handed over power and oversight to.
WADA have actually been more fair and reasonable than any AFLish entity in this process.

Ehh, imo Monfries is a bigger loss than Ryder.
Carn

It's been asked before - who is this mature ruck you speak of?

I'll play. We could have traded for a Giles, Goring or Lowden for a packet of chips. If we are just talking draft... we could have picked up Paul Hunter with our last pick in the normal draft. If we needed an extra number on the rookie list we could have picked up Paul Stewart in the rookie draft. Paul Hunter is about 22 so he is mature enough to play some games whilst still having scope to develop into a decent player.

The AFL should have put a player replacement contingency plan in place before the drafts took place so the clubs knew where they stood.

Seeing as they didn't they should have allowed all clubs affected a mini-draft after the CAS finding.

All too late now. The Ad-hoc Football League.

Some people need to chill the f*** out over this.

We will make it work this year no worries.

We will also get compensated in some way that will help us in the long run.

We all know the AFL is corrupt but this small minded whinging is degrading our boards reputation.

Time to move on!

Last edited:
There's no doubt there's no point flogging the poor old equine skeleton any more but it still shits me to see Essendon signing top up players (they just signed Sam Grimley) while the clubs who did nothing wrong except *buyer beware* are told too bad so sad.

It does make me wonder how one could even barrack for that side this year. I mean what's the emotional investment in Kelly, Grimley, Jamar, Crowley etc. a bunch of guys who will be there for 12 months topping up their superannuation or grasping at the last remnants of a career?

it's like caring who wins I'm a celebrity ... oh wait maybe I'm onto something.

Essendon could have a weekly phone poll to select the side. $1 a call would pay a lot of legal bills.

It comes from Clause 172 of the CAS ruling, which actually references the 2015 WADA Code rule 10.12.2.

Given that Mark Jamar has already signed for Essendon, I'm not sure there's anyone out there we could get any use from as a top up player. The big mistake we made was back in November. I am still a bit boggled that the club didn't see this coming to be honest.
Ah thanks I was looking at the 2009 Code which is silent and doesn't have Article 10.12.2

Some people need to chill the f*** out over this.

We will make it work this year no worries.

We will also get compensated in some way that will help us in the long run.

We all know the AFL is corrupt but this small minded whinging is degrading our boards reputation.

Time to move on!

Sorry, let's not discuss a current issue that's affecting our club.
Please accept my apologies for "degrading" the reputation of a discussion forum, for discussing current issues around our club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you imagine if Essendon actually manage to win a few games... You'd be pissed if you were an op fan.

Don't see how they will though. The prop-ups will just be going through the motions eventually. Many of them have already mentally checked out of afl footy but couldn't turn down the cash

Wonder if the mid-season draft will ever come in, certainly would lessen the blow with clubs with a banned player(s) in the future.. let's face it will happen again.

This preseason has been the worst...

Not a good start....

Nah it's been alright. Most of the players look in good shape, no major injuries barring Dixon and that's short term anyway. We did very well in the draft too especially considering the picks we had to play with.

We're doing ok and we should have a great season with our draw.

They've lost 12 players and can only select up to 10 players. So they take a hit as well. The only difference between the two lists is that Essendon have a Cat B rookie. Big deal.

My thoughts are that if we had a 3rd or 4th year Ruck on our list already noone would give a s**t if we got a replacement or not.

Honestly I think Essendon getting top ups for what they did is a load of bullshit and just want to see them suffer. I think we're going to be fine without a replacement ruck and anyone we recruit won't be of an AFL standard a la Redden vs Sydney last year. I just like seeing KT et al give the AFL grief for shitty double standards.

Nah it's been alright. Most of the players look in good shape, no major injuries barring Dixon and that's short term anyway. We did very well in the draft too especially considering the picks we had to play with.

We're doing ok and we should have a great season with our draw.
I wouldn't rely on an easy draw...

I get the sentiment of where we are at...

But this team lost to some really bad teams last year...

This club as a whole has always been prone to that even at our best...

While I still think we can make top 8 and even the big dance with a bit of luck...i just don't take it as a foregone conclusion...

I wouldn't rely on an easy draw...

I get the sentiment of where we are at...

But this team lost to some really bad teams last year...

This club as a whole has always been prone to that even at our best...

While I still think we can make top 8 and even the big dance with a bit of luck...i just don't take it as a foregone conclusion...

No one should ever take success as a foregone conclusion.

But I think our boys have experienced enough adversity to know what it takes to make a GF.

The Essendon players have been cut some slack the last few years for some awful performances, due to the stress of the ogoing investigation.

Paddy and Gus were not given as much understanding.

The optimist in me says that the players will be better focussed this year and should gel as a unit wihout any distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back