Player Watch Pick #33 (2016) - Willem Drew

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good signing for us. Teams would have taken notice of him last year and been in his ear for sure.

Really hope we can lock him up beyond 2024 as it approaches.

As I’ve banged on about for ages, best defensive mid in the game and really has some x factor with his defensive acts that can turn play. Much the way key nfl players on the defensive side can make big plays at the right time drew has that ability.

Has the opportunity to become not just the best defensive mid right now, but a generational defensive mid.

The way he uses his length to defend handball passing lanes inside contests and to reach into contests when he doesn’t have the best position and knock it away from those that are is entirely unique.

He just isn’t the best at doing it, he’s really the only one who displays these skills regularly.

He’s already a good clearance winner but as he adds more offense to his game and becomes a more rounded player he will become something else.

Key piece of our centre square group for years to come

and becomes a more rounded player he will become something else.

I swear his right hand is staying on the ball a smidge longer with his ball drop. A good sign cos he's got plenty of +'s in his game.

A meat n potatoes player who just gets on with it and gets it done. After a long frustrating start to his career good on him.

Very good signing for us. Teams would have taken notice of him last year and been in his ear for sure.

Really hope we can lock him up beyond 2024 as it approaches.

As I’ve banged on about for ages, best defensive mid in the game and really has some x factor with his defensive acts that can turn play. Much the way key nfl players on the defensive side can make big plays at the right time drew has that ability.

Has the opportunity to become not just the best defensive mid right now, but a generational defensive mid.

The way he uses his length to defend handball passing lanes inside contests and to reach into contests when he doesn’t have the best position and knock it away from those that are is entirely unique.

He just isn’t the best at doing it, he’s really the only one who displays these skills regularly.

He’s already a good clearance winner but as he adds more offense to his game and becomes a more rounded player he will become something else.

Key piece of our centre square group for years to come
Wholeheartedly agree, although as Commissioner of the Grammar Police, I did startle at this phrase:
"He just isn’t the best at doing it, he’s really the only one who displays these skills regularly." :oops:

Had to read it twice, then realized you meant:
He isn’t just the best at doing it, he’s really the only one who displays these skills regularly. :D

Elite defensive midfielder but there were times last year where he truly went missing. This should improve as he gets more pre-seasons under his belt to improve his tank. Also needs to get more of the ball. He's a very good user of the footy, just sometimes doesn't find it enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he can get his average disposals up to 25ish and clearance average up 2 or so per game. This guy will be scary good and is probably in the top 5 most underrated players in the comp and will continue to be as he’s not flashy. Absolute love drewy and so glad the club stuck with him in the early years.

I'm stoked to see Drew starting to hit his straps. He's got grunt but also some flashes of brilliance.

Looking forward to seeing him step up this season.

Just a a bit of shout out to Willem. Cruising through stats on the afl app.
Goes a bit unnoticed but is obviously doing something right. Wouldnt pick him for top 50-60 players. I guess he should be though given he is in our starting midfield.
That’s “afl player rating” btw

Attachments

• FB78E5DC-CCCA-4B96-A312-1C47D51AEADC.png
    FB78E5DC-CCCA-4B96-A312-1C47D51AEADC.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 137
Unless he has a doppelgänger, I caught Drew at an open inspection a couple of weeks back (day after the Geelong loss, I reckon). Don't know if he ended up buying the place, but it's a good sign if he's putting down roots by dropping a big chunk of money on a house in Adelaide.

Underrated outside of Port Adelaide, I reckon. Has certainly improved considerably over the last 12 months.

as boak's career is coming to a close, we have a man who has already put his hand up as his natural successor

well done to both of these blokes
I don't think they're similar players at all tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back