Unofficial Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion - Semi Final vs. Fremantle, Saturday Sept 10th - 7:25pm, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BS mate.

You reckon only once every 15 games when he has a great marking game it’s because the kicking to him is good?

That doesn’t sound likely.
Delivery is at least half the battle for the forward, and same as it’s been at Collingwood for ages we’re got few who regularly deliver to any forwards advantage.

The comment I replied to suggested even when Cox is one out other players don’t kick to him (for fear of the rebound). You don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to know not to plonk it right on top of him and make him wrestle for it, but to put it into his advantage side where it should be a mark or a free. I was suggesting if our other players cannot kick to Coxs advantage in a 1v1 that’s on them not on Cox.

On averages Cox is (just) our best contested mark (21st in the league), better than Cameron and Moore. He’s at least as good as Cameron playing roughly the same role, and better than Moore who is renowned for his intercept marking.

Delivery is at least half the battle for the forward, and same as it’s been at Collingwood for ages we’re got few who regularly deliver to any forwards advantage.

The comment I replied to suggested even when Cox is one out other players don’t kick to him (for fear of the rebound). You don’t have to be a rocket surgeon to know not to plonk it right on top of him and make him wrestle for it, but to put it into his advantage side where it should be a mark or a free. I was suggesting if our other players cannot kick to Coxs advantage in a 1v1 that’s on them not on Cox.

On averages Cox is (just) our best contested mark (21st in the league), better than Cameron and Moore. He’s at least as good as Cameron playing roughly the same role, and better than Moore who is renowned for his intercept marking.

Intercept marks, by their nature, are mostly uncontested.
Cox is a certainly good contested mark.
Kreuger looks like a good contested mark - let's hope he gets a decent injury free run at it.

Agree with all those who observed that we cannot afford to select a player (Cox) who only spends 46% of gametime on the field. That leaves a load too great to bear for the rest of the team, and fatigue might have cost us the win against Geelong.
and yet we only used 63 of our 75 rotations against Geelong (vs Geelong 75/75). If fatigue cost us then God knows what we were doing.

I dunno if anybody else thought of it but What's been Mason Cox's achilles heel these past few years? (his eyes)
Last weekend was a twighlight game and the sun was glaring off lots of glass at the G.

Maybe Coxy couldn't see properly? Maybe that's why he played less minutes?

and yet we only used 63 of our 75 rotations against Geelong (vs Geelong 75/75). If fatigue cost us then God knows what we were doing.
Well that's true...forgot about that. So clearly then, our levels of fitness are elite, if we can afford to have Cox off the ground for hte majority of the game yet only have 63 out of 75 interchanges. So clearly not fatigue that cost us. Cats used all their interchanges, we used 12 fewer.
Hmm...then why was Cox off the ground for so long? Did we play him as a pure ruck, and took him off the ground unless he was rucking? That does not seem to give us a great payout from such a tall player, though.

But still beg
I dunno if anybody else thought of it but What's been Mason Cox's achilles heel these past few years? (his eyes)
Last weekend was a twighlight game and the sun was glaring off lots of glass at the G.

Good point.
Good point, PWS. With 12 interchanges fewer than permitted, that would confirm our fitness levels are elite, and Cox only playing 46% of game time did not contribute to fatigue. So our coaching team will have to analyse whether playing Mason only for 46% of the time, as a pure ruckman, is the best possible use of our resources.

Intercept marks, by their nature, are mostly uncontested.
Cox is a certainly good contested mark.
Kreuger looks like a good contested mark - let's hope he gets a decent injury free run at it.
Yeah I like the look of Freddy, he won me over quickly, have this gut feeling he’s just going to consistently get injured and petter out to nothing. Agree - fingers crossed for a good clean run for a few seasons to show us what he’s got!

Bet Fyfe gets back, yet another team with a perfect injury list while losing Adams, Grundy and potentially, although unlikely, JDG...

Coach may have changed, but some things don't.

But he doesn’t get separation to kick it to his advantage. He seems largely incapable of it.

He is not a better contested mark than Moore or Cameron. He takes more marks than Moore because the majority of them are when he’s in the ruck and has no direct opponent. He’s the outnumber.

I’m not trying to pot Cox, he’s deserving of his spot at the moment, he’s just not the player some people like to think he is. He’s got severe limitations.

I'll lose all confidence in Fly as a coach if he pulled that move. Krueger the back up ruck? Coming off a five month absence and with a fragile body which has failed to survive a full game without seeing him clutching his shoulder or looking concussed.
That is silly

Bet Fyfe gets back, yet another team with a perfect injury list while losing Adams, Grundy and potentially, although unlikely, JDG...

Coach may have changed, but some things don't.
With his form this year I hope he gets back. Very mediocre

re Cox and Cameron forward. The new coaching regime seem to not want to use them often as forward targets and prefers them on the pine if possible.

I'm guessing this is around running capacity and forward pressure than anything else. As the year goes on it's crystal clear our coaches don't want to play two rucks, they want the second to be a more mobile ruck/forward. This is where McStay makes a lot of sense, or Krueger in the shorter term if fit enough.

Remember that we first tried Begg before bringing in Cox to partner Cameron. Looks like a clear indication of the coaches preference. Another strong pointer that Grundy is likely to be moved on. I don't think our coaches would like a Grundy/Cameron combination.

I was extremely confident last week for the first time whole hear. However, I have a very bad feeling for Saturday’s game. Can’t see us matching it with Fremantle’s midfield. JDG is gonna have to carry the entire midfield.

Potential 4 goal loss incoming. It’s been a fun season, but we just lack depth!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure on his TOG breakdown but seemed to play more in the first half than the second half. The second half was dusk into night time under the lights.

He has played day and night time so can't imagine that's the problem.

I think maybe we just thought Cameron was on top and wanted to expose Geelong for legspeed in our forward 50 given they had a reasonably tall backline.

Another risk that may have bitten us.

There's no space in modern forward lines when the defence is set, so the kick that you're describing involves Cox working his way past, or through players to get to the ball drop - he doesn't do this well.

I was extremely confident last week for the first time whole hear. However, I have a very bad feeling for Saturday’s game. Can’t see us matching it with Fremantle’s midfield. JDG is gonna have to carry the entire midfield.

Can't tell if reverse jinx attempt or ultimate sky is falling claim.

Mate.

I reckon it wasn't confidence but calmness you were feeling last week because it wasn't a cut throat final and not many people gave us a chance. It was a free swing mentally.

This week the bad feeling you are feeling are really just nerves kicking in because you know it's all on the line come Saturday.

Fremantle wont be pushovers and might well cause an upset but they're not a better side than Geelong so if we bring a performance similar to that game (even without Adams) I expect to win.

Hahahah nah just dont think we can win this week. Spent all our tickets last week.

After what we saw in 2020 I wouldn't blame anyone for expecting us to come out flat, although that was with COVID protocols, interstate travel, etc.

Reality is that we've barely had any "easy" game for the last 2 months and we've come out just as strong.

The hardest was probably Round 18 in against Adelaide in Adelaide... and although we only played Essendon and only just won, they were in fairly good form at the time.

I think the group should be resilient enough to win on Saturday. We'd have gained more belief from Geelong than we did fatigue.

Hahahah nah just dont think we can win this week. Spent all our tickets last week.
Whilst I disagree with the premise in the first place, would you not argue that this is more the case for Fremantle? Undertook a heroic comeback in front of a 99% Freo crowd cheering them on, for most players it was their first final too. Now they come up against an angry and hungry Pies team.

This has 2015 Hawthorn written all over it to me personally :)

Alright, my final attempt at this...

Ins and outs to read as follows:

In: Carmichael
Out: Adams, Cox

Team will be:

Lipinski - Mihocek - Ginnivan
Elliott - Johnson - McCreery
Sidebottom - Pendlebury - J Daicos
N Daicos - Murphy - Noble
Maynard - Moore - Howe

Cameron - De Goey - Crisp

Int: Quaynor, Carmichael, WHE, Kreuger