Strategy Changes & Pre-match Discussion - PF vs. GWS, MCG 22/9 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much of my post did you read before responding? I don't want them to play Lippa in the centre square which I said. I want it to be Daicos or alternatively Pendles who covers for Mitchell around stoppage.

A hit out to advantage doesn't have to put your teammate into the clear. It's when a teammate takes possession from the first touch after your hitout. (Or that's what's been explained to me). Mitchell would be on the end of the most. And clean and quick hands are more important than grunt.
I read the whole thing and was responding to your defence of the concept that Lipinski can somehow replace Adam's grunt work at stoppages. That's the topic of discussion. What do you think I missed?

On the relatively rare occasions we do win a hit out to advantage, why on earth would we target Mitchell or Adams whose role is specifically to be first in and under fighting for the ball when there is no decisive exit from a stoppage? That makes absolutely zero sense to me. Why wouldn't we be hitting it to our burst player Degoey or best user Pendles as first option? Have a look at the first quarter from the Melbourne game and tell me who Cox targets when he wins a clear HOA.

The in and under scrap for the ball role that Adams and Mitchell are tasked with is a mandatory role. It's not optional that we have someone tasked with being the primary scrapper (if necessary) at every stoppage! You can't do without it and expect to win games of footy against midfield bulls. We need someone capable and willing to unflinchingly throw their body on the line against the likes of Jack Viney in contested scraps. In the wet this becomes an even more important role. What you are proposing puts our midfield seriously out of balance in terms of contested ball capabilities at stoppages when Mitchell is on the pine having a breather. . Lipinski cannot replace what Adams does at stoppages with his skill set.

Lippinski can be considered a replacement for Pendles at stoppages but he cannot be considered a replacement for Adams and Adam's role is a mandatory one.

Keeffe going forward will stretch us for height as it did against Port last night. I suppose if they have Riccardi, Hogan, and Keeffe all forwards they are losing a lot of forward pressure and hopefully we can launch out of the back half.
I wouldn’t think they’d lock it in as well as Melbourne (no one does, really) so we’ll likely see a lot more rebounding from us, and pinging out of our backline which is pretty essential to our game plan. I wouldn’t expect there’ll be a lot of footy played like that last QT against thr Dees.

Outwrestling them in the midfield would do us a world of favours too.

Keeffe going forward will stretch us for height as it did against Port last night. I suppose if they have Riccardi, Hogan, and Keeffe all forwards they are losing a lot of forward pressure and hopefully we can launch out of the back half.

Keeffe was only there to occupy Aliir. He had 5 marks and didn’t score. I don’t think we’re going to overcompensate for his presence. If Briggs missed and we dropped a ruckman, we could bring in Frampton for Keeffe but I’d probably rather roll the dice and keep the rebounding ability against limited forward pressure.

Stop preparing your excuses.
For what? I think we'll win. What is wrong with people? You can admire or praise your opposition and still believe in your own team. Take a breath. Relax. Did I state anything that isn't true? They were bashed up and fell over the line in 2019.

When has keefe dominated a game going forward or kicked a bag or taken heaps of contested forward marks ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read the whole thing and was responding to your defence of the concept that Lipinski can somehow replace Adam's grunt work at stoppages. That's the topic of discussion. What do you think I missed?

On the relatively rare occasions we do win a hit out to advantage, why on earth would we target Mitchell or Adams whose role is specifically to be first in and under fighting for the ball when there is no decisive exit from a stoppage? That makes absolutely zero sense to me. Why wouldn't we be hitting it to our burst player Degoey or best user Pendles as first option? Have a look at the first quarter from the Melbourne game and tell me who Cox targets when he wins a clear HOA.

The in and under scrap for the ball role that Adams and Mitchell are tasked with is a mandatory role. It's not optional that we have someone tasked with being the primary scrapper (if necessary) at every stoppage! You can't do without it and expect to win games of footy against midfield bulls. We need someone capable and willing to unflinchingly throw their body on the line against the likes of Jack Viney in contested scraps. In the wet this becomes an even more important role. What you are proposing puts our midfield seriously out of balance in terms of contested ball capabilities at stoppages when Mitchell is on the pine having a breather. . Lipinski cannot replace what Adams does at stoppages with his skill set.

Lippinski can be considered a replacement for Pendles at stoppages but he cannot be considered a replacement for Adams and Adam's role is a mandatory one.
The conversation started with Lippa, but it shifted as most conversations do. The point that was being argued and I was talking about was whether or not grunt mid is a stoppage role. It's not.
You've got the blokes at the side of the pack with the best vision and clearest access to more ruck spills, who is best placed to get his hands to the footy first. It's usually Mitchell for us with Adams chopping him out. Grunt or aggression is a very helpful attribute, it's why Adams plays it to an ok standard. But clean hands, quick mind and hands and good tackling technique are also helpful attributes. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

We might use Lippa in that role - he's played it a bit, as his reach and clean hands are positive attributes for the role, but I'd prefer it to be Pendles or Nick who we position to get first hands on it more often or JDG with Nick covering JDGs role of looking to burst from stoppage. But I don't think JDG is consistently clean enough with his ball handling.

Last edited:
No Bobby Hill at training again this morning according to the Sunday Footy Show, anyone know what’s up?
All we heard last week was personal reasons.
Surely he'll be there tomorrow or wed at latest

It’s funny how everyone was saying Collingwood and Melbourne had the “easy” side of the draw when it came to the Prelim. Now everyone thinks GWS will beat us.
GWS looked tired in that 2nd half, Port kicked something like 2.9 and 2 OOF in the last quarter to lose that game

GWS will be playing their third interstate game in a row this Friday, against a rested side known for their endurance

Not saying it's going to be easy, as no PF is ever easy, but I'm not understanding all the GWS sack riding that's happening on here

Gws with a 6 day break off two interstate finals. I'll take that
Yes but they are healthy and playing great footy at the right time.
Port look cooked and GWS were the biggest certainties ever last night.

This is a really tough game for us, As good as Greene is Hogan nearly tore us a new one last time and if Moore gets him I’d be worried.
I think Frampton needs to come in because Hogan is looking ominous and super high on confidence.

Yes but they are healthy and playing great footy at the right time.
Port look cooked and GWS were the biggest certainties ever last night.

This is a really tough game for us, As good as Greene is Hogan nearly tore us a new one last time and if Moore gets him I’d be worried.
I think Frampton needs to come in because Hogan is looking ominous and super high on confidence.

He kicked three in an 11-goal loss. How many are you expecting him to kick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back