Autopsy AFL 2023 Grand Final - Pies vs Lions Sat Sept 30th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 29 5.9%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 20 4.1%
  • Pies by 7-20

Votes: 116 23.6%
  • Lions by 7-20

Votes: 216 43.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 47 9.6%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 53 10.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 11 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest ever comeback in a grand final at 3/4 is 24 points in 1984. They’d want to be a bit closer I’d reckon.
Maybe, but it's all mental. They'll both be knackered at that stage with the heat, in this scenario.
The crowd starts "Coooollingwoood, Coooollingwoood", get a quick goal or two, and tired Lions could try and save it, which won't end well if 20 points up with 15 minutes to go...

If you get a chance to watch a replay have a look at about 2.30 left on the clock. Kinda around the “ climax” of a match. Pies up by 10. Ball kicked deep into our forward line. Coleman tackled, throws his head back, not even close to a high tackle, free,next kick another soft free to Neale for holding of the ball when Mccluggage who actually had the ball should have been pinged for incorrect disposal, next play Mc’cluggage does a wayne Harmes, kicks inboard to Daniher, goal. Game back to 4 points. 3 poor decisions in a row to bring the Lions right back into it. But go and focus on that non advantage after that when the game should have been locked down.
That free to Neale for holding against Cox was a shocker. Neale was propelling himself forward and Coxy literally brushed his sides with his fingers. In the last minute of a bloody grand final. It gets me each time I watch it.

Is he outside the protective area. yes or no ?

A 50m penalty is not that simple.

Watch it back, Bailey follows Quaynor into the area, Quaynor then quickly darts sideways, and Bailey doesn’t follow him because he’s watching Cox, there’s a split second where Bailey is running in the direction Quaynor WAS going, before play on is called.

Personally I don’t feel that’s enough for a 50m, feels a bit like Quaynor was trying to suck the umpire in to it.

At the same time I feel like Bailey took advantage and was waiting for play on to be called. Hence I can see it both ways, it’s a 50/50 call.

I’d like to stress again, I thought it was an amazing game of footy that was well umpired and Collingwood were deserving winners.

A 50m penalty is not that simple.

Watch it back, Bailey follows Quaynor into the area, Quaynor then quickly darts sideways, and Bailey doesn’t follow him because he’s watching Cox, there’s a split second where Bailey is running in the direction Quaynor WAS going, before play on is called.

Personally I don’t feel that’s enough for a 50m, feels a bit like Quaynor was trying to suck the umpire in to it.

At the same time I feel like Bailey took advantage and was waiting for play on to be called. Hence I can see it both ways, it’s a 50/50 call.

I’d like to stress again, I thought it was an amazing game of footy that was well umpired and Collingwood were deserving winners.

Yes or no ? Pretty simple question , not asking if its 50 metres.

Theres been players run past the mark and be pinged for it , you cant wait for the whistle to go , you are either in there or making your way out.

If he was trailing Quaynor then stopped , then it probably means he wasnt making his way out

Yes or no ? Pretty simple question , not asking if its 50 metres.

Theres been players run past the mark and be pinged for it , you cant wait for the whistle to go , you are either in there or making your way out.

If he was trailing Quaynor then stopped , then it probably means he wasnt making his way out
He was making his way out. He just wasn’t directly following Quaynor once Quaynor sidestepped

Is it time for something to be done about the 30 second set shot rule? Teams are clearly using it to kill time where they take their 30 seconds for an improbable shot and then kick sideways. McRae pointed to specifically training the players on this and tbh it’s something I really don’t like.
Yep , if you choose to take the option of starting the 30 second clock for a shot at goal, and you decide not to take the shot , a free kick should be awarded at the place where the initial free kick was given.
Don't care if it's an umpires call or not. It's blatant time wasting

It's embarrassing listening to non victorians or Collingwood haters talking about the umpiring..

* me... we got 5 or so more free kicks
we got a soft 50.
we got a bullshit non existent 50 to Hipwood after the Daicos one.

The umpiring was even. good and bad decisions for both teams but zero bias or cheating.

TRY BEING SYDNEY IN 2016.
Completely cheated out of a chance to win a grand final.

That free to Neale for holding against Cox was a shocker. Neale was propelling himself forward and Coxy literally brushed his sides with his fingers. In the last minute of a bloody grand final. It gets me each time I watch it.
100% mate

Lions got 3 decisions their way in a row at 2.30 left on clock to get them that last goal. Should have been game over without that charity.

Yep , if you choose to take the option of starting the 30 second clock for a shot at goal, and you decide not to take the shot , a free kick should be awarded at the place where the initial free kick was given.
Or smart play. Why would a team leading not want to take some time off the clock if its within the rules?

Just watched the replay of the 1st quarter last night and not a single commentator brings up the Bailey smother as being any issue or 'should have been a free' at all which is interesting because you'd think its a howler if you only read twitter.

Probably answers what the call shouldve been. You cant claim to be following and loiter in the protected area waiting for the whistle "to pounce"

But at the same time I don’t think it’s fair for Quaynor to drag his man into the area, then quickly dart sideways as he does to try and catch Bailey out.

Like I said, I think both players were trying to take advantage of the rules and the 50/50 call went Bailey’s way, that’s sport.

If the 50 had been paid I wouldn’t really have minded either. I was literally just answering the original poster who put up a screenshot of the moment when Quaynor was out and Bailey was in, without showing the footage prior.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he is not, he just cant play forward. He did fine in the ruck earlier in the year
He was serviceable as a back up. No club would keep him on a list if ruck was his position.

The positions he’s actually picked to play, key forward or back, he’s not been good enough at, at three different clubs.

This isn’t me hating on him, he’s a better footballer than I’ll ever be, he worked ******* hard to stay in the system, and sometimes people get lucky.

But he’s also incredibly lucky that Collingwood have such a good system that they could cover for him, otherwise things would have gotten embarrassing for him real quick.

He was serviceable as a back up. No club would keep him on a list if ruck was his position.

The positions he’s actually picked to play, key forward or back, he’s not been good enough at, at three different clubs.

This isn’t me hating on him, he’s a better footballer than I’ll ever be, he worked ******* hard to stay in the system, and sometimes people get lucky.

But he’s also incredibly lucky that Collingwood have such a good system that they could cover for him, otherwise things would have gotten embarrassing for him real quick.
He has been picked to play ruck more than key forward for us, he was essentially picked as a defender in the GF just to defend another backman so we didnt lose another GF to a McGovern type intercept defender because we dont actually have a proper key forward to keep them occupied. If Hipwood wasnt being a complete spud we would have put Frampton in defense once Murphy went down but given Hipwood wasnt impacting we could just keep Frampton on Andrews.
He he has no clue how to lead so he will never be a forward, if forward was his only position he would probably be the worst player in the league. Back up defender/ruck he is fine and far from worst in the AFL, we've played worse players this season (Will Kelly)

Just watched the replay of the 1st quarter last night and not a single commentator brings up the Bailey smother as being any issue or 'should have been a free' at all which is interesting because you'd think its a howler if you only read twitter.
Brad Johnson did so did NIRS callers.

I think the better solution is to not award a mark to the attacking team from the kick if the player has indicated they’re taking a shot at goal. A free kick is a bit too harsh.

I think the better solution is to not award a mark to the attacking team from the kick if the player has indicated they’re taking a shot at goal. A free kick is a bit too harsh.
This will just cause forward lines to set up specifically for the crumb, waste 29sec and bomb it long, and nobody will be trying to mark it 🤣 an interesting dynamic but a bit silly

Play on you reckon ? Not a bad solution , but there is still the 30 seconds we can't get back.
Maybe the ump just blows his whistle for time wasting ( coz thats what it is ) and pays the free kick where the ball was delivered to ?

Play on you reckon ? Not a bad solution , but there is still the 30 seconds we can't get back.
Maybe the ump just blows his whistle for time wasting ( coz thats what it is ) and pays the free kick where the ball was delivered to ?
I get what you’re saying but there’s also a responsibility on the defending team to stop them taking a mark within striking distance of goal.

It's pretty simple to fix if they want to change it, just stop the time clock until he kicks it.

It's pretty simple to fix if they want to change it, just stop the time clock until he kicks it.
Would just be exploited as well. Let everyone have a breather and set up a set play.

And goes against every rule change the AFL has made in the last 5 years under the direction of "speeding up play"

Needs to be a disincentive or it'll just be exploited. Free kick/50m

It’s a borderline call.

Bailey is tracking Quaynor, and is moving away from Cox.

However he’s not exactly sprinting to follow him. I actually think Bailey knew exactly what he was doing and waiting for the moment to pounce.

I’m not 100% sure, but on the audio it sounds to me like the umpire instructing Bailey to stay out is the one boundary side, while the one who calls play on is towards the middle of the ground. I’m not sure if that made any difference.

However, if we’re talking borderline 50s then the Sidebottom one is also that.

Personally I don’t think there were that many obvious umpire errors. I think it was a well umpired game and the Pies were deserving premiers.

In what reality is the Sidebottom 50 a borderline one? Nobody could argue that. It was just stupid play from Berry.

Back