Autopsy AFL 2023 Second Preliminary Final - Lions v Blues Sat Sept 23rd 5:15pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 57 23.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 47 19.0%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 111 44.8%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think they are going to be very mouthy anymore
The pretenders got found out so can go back to the land of self delusion .
Finished 5th on the ladder.
Won two finals.
Exceeded expectations.

✅✅✅

You’ll be hearing from us all very regularly, especially if you continue to spend your days in Carlton related threads.

Finished 5th on the ladder.
Won two finals.
Exceeded expectations.

✅✅✅

You’ll be hearing from us all very regularly, especially if you continue to spend your days in Carlton related threads.
Umpire assistance ✅
MRO leniency ✅
VAFL tried their best ✅
Still couldn’t get it done ✅

I look forward to CarLOLton providing many more laughs next year

Umpire assistance ✅
MRO leniency ✅
VAFL tried their best ✅

Genuine question, Why is the Freo mob so anti Carlton?
Is it the Newnes goal from years ago?
Is it the Cerra trade? That we paid you guys pretty fairly for, more than you would of got from the Dees if he selected them?
Acres? Who you guys really didn't seem to want at all?

I didn't know our sides had so much beef, but it would appear there is some sort of hatred because a large number of Freo fans are celebrating our Prelim final loss like they've just won the premiership?

Umpire assistance ✅
MRO leniency ✅
VAFL tried their best ✅

Tom Cruise What GIF

Oh
That explains it 👍
Yeah, look . . .we know what you're getting at with your line of questioning . . .QLD: non-traditional football state, manufactured teams, uneducated "fans" that know nothing and call "ball" even when there has been no prior etc . . .and a footy ground that can't even be filled to capacity for a prelim because everyone is actually busy watching "thugby".

But let me assure you, the Gabba was sold out. Footy is going fine here. Australian Rules has been played in this state since 1866.

SURPRISE!

Yeah, look . . .we know what you're getting at with your line of questioning . . .QLD: non-traditional football state, manufactured teams, uneducated "fans" that know nothing and call "ball" even when there has been no prior etc . . .and a footy ground that can't even be filled to capacity for a prelim because everyone is actually busy watching "thugby".

But let me assure you, the Gabba was sold out. Footy is going fine here. Australian Rules has been played in this state since 1866.

SURPRISE!
Honestly wasn’t having a go
Was genuinely surprised Gabba was so limited
How many do you think you would get if you had capacity?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Genuine question, Why is the Freo mob so anti Carlton?
Is it the Newnes goal from years ago?
Is it the Cerra trade? That we paid you guys pretty fairly for, more than you would of got from the Dees if he selected them?
Acres? Who you guys really didn't seem to want at all?

I didn't know our sides had so much beef, but it would appear there is some sort of hatred because a large number of Freo fans are celebrating our Prelim final loss like they've just won the premiership?

There are Dockers supporters with a better grasp on history than me but from my perspective it’s these

Cerra I couldn’t care less , he wanted to go home , let him go .
Acres was dumb by us , but he only played one good season out of five and that was his last

There genuinely seems to be a sense of favouritism when we play against Carlton
I recall games from a few years ago where there were blatant free kicks ignored that resulted in Carlton getting over the line by a goal or two , not just against Freo either

Curnow and before him McKay regularly got soft free kicks awarded to them , ask any other club

Here’s a few others

Cerra tackle on Hickey was almost identical to one of ours the week before , can’t recall who , maybe Brodie ? Anyway , nothing to see here , play on Mr. Cerra

Weitering eye gouge was way way worse than Brayshaws a year or 2 ago , Brayshaw did time , Weitering played in a final

Bidding on Henry driving up his price

Taking Motlop who was one of our Academy players .

The Cripps debacle on Ah Chee , please , what a joke

During Covid Melbourne went into lock down for one of their home games whilst Optus was available , instead of saying let’s just swap the next home game we were forced to play in Tassie or somewhere ridiculous after having travelled the week before

The Newnes incident goes without saying , some of the most ridiculous umpiring I’ve ever seen resulting in a last minute win .

That’s just against Freo and then you see similar things playing out against other teams ( Melbourne) and you just can’t help but wonder .

Saying that last time Carlton played Freo at home they pulled their pants down and it was embarrassing.
There were a few dodgy frees in the second quarter costing Freo momentum but generally it was piss poor on Freos behalf.

I don’t know what the hell it is , but it’s just there and there are many of us feeling it , from lots of clubs . Would be interesting to do a survey across the AFL supporter base .

Plus it’s just fun to hang s**t on a club with so many advantages , draft picks , money , power who have performed worse than Freo , it’s a coping mechanism I guess 😁

There are Dockers supporters with a better grasp on history than me but from my perspective it’s these

Acres was dumb by us , but he only played one good season out of five and that was his last

I recall games from a few years ago where there were blatant free kicks ignored that resulted in Carlton getting over the line by a goal or two , not just against Freo either

Curnow and before him McKay regularly got soft free kicks awarded to them , ask any other club

Here’s a few others

Cerra tackle on Hickey was almost identical to one of ours the week before , can’t recall who , maybe Brodie ? Anyway , nothing to see here , play on Mr. Cerra

Weitering eye gouge was way way worse than Brayshaws a year or 2 ago , Brayshaw did time , Weitering played in a final

During Covid Melbourne went into lock down for one of their home games whilst Optus was available , instead of saying let’s just swap the next home game we were forced to play in Tassie or somewhere ridiculous after having travelled the week before

The Newnes incident goes without saying , some of the most ridiculous umpiring I’ve ever seen resulting in a last minute win .

That’s just against Freo and then you see similar things playing out against other teams ( Melbourne) and you just can’t help but wonder .

Saying that last time Carlton played Freo at home they pulled their pants down and it was embarrassing.
There were a few dodgy frees in the second quarter costing Freo momentum but generally it was piss poor on Freos behalf.

I don’t know what the hell it is , but it’s just there and there are many of us feeling it , from lots of clubs . Would be interesting to do a survey across the AFL supporter base .

Plus it’s just fun to hang s**t on a club with so many advantages , draft picks , money , power who have performed worse than Freo , it’s a coping mechanism I guess 😁
I mean fair enough I guess.

Every teams supporter base feels hard done by at times.

The Cerra incident changed the trend of the way the tackle was adjudicated for the remainder of the season. Yes he was the first, but I think he helped the rectify some of the future judgings.

We've had some success with the tribunal of late, but over the years you can ask many Carlton fans and they feel the complete opposite. Plowman getting 2 weeks against JOM a few years back really sticks out.

In regards to free kicks, well we didn't have the greatest free kick differential this year, in fact we weren't even in the top 5.

The Weitering one I feel like there wasn't much in it. If Charlie Cameron can go completely unsighted for his repeated elbows to the head on Saad last weekend, I don't see how anything more than a fine for Weiters is appropriate.

Charlie does get a lot of free kicks, he always works for front position and tries to contest the ball, so I think that helps, a lot of forwards give up and the play and the umpires ignore it.
Harry on the other hand gets a couple from time to time, but at the same time, he is regularly hacked across the arms/ear and its called play on. The curse of being 204cm, if a smaller defender tries, the umpires genuinely let it go.
Thar said, Charlie received an average of 1.6 frees a game this year, that puts him in 25th. Harry 1.4, puts him around 50th.

The Newnes one was a complete debacle, the umpires had no idea what was going on.

The bidding on Henry seems logical, once again we were the first to do it, but why wouldn't rival clubs make teams pay a higher price for players that they legitimately want. Sydney did it several times last year, and I think it will be more common going forward.
The idea of Daicos, Ashcroft and a like not getting bid on at pick 1 is a bit ridiculous.

The Cripps one I would understand if people were furious at the AFL. They made a complete mess of the trial and were taken to task. If they want to operate as a legit organization, then they need to get their house in order.

Of all the big Melbourne based clubs, Carlton are the ones that have had to travel down to Geelong to play, We've had home games moved from the MCG to Marvel to play against away Vic based teams who only play at Marvel.

There is always the ghost of the Carlton of yesteryear that older supporters seem to cling onto. It's just hard for us younger fans to understand, because all we've know is a complete rabble of a club that has never really achieved anything.

In terms of big Melbourne teams getting advantages, I'm not sure if Carlton is really the one that gets the most.
Pies occasionally travel to Marvel, once a year. Seemed to have quite an umpiring advantage in their prelim, have a host of academy and father son players, have regularly attracted players from interstate by finding media jobs for the players and or their partners.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. It had been confusing me a bit over the last few days, seems like a huge celebration from 17 teams that Carlton, a team that hasn't achieved anything in 25 years, lost a Prelim.

Honestly wasn’t having a go
Was genuinely surprised Gabba was so limited
How many do you think you would get if you had capacity?
For the Olympics they are rebuilding to 50,000 and, if we are just talking Lions as a sole winter tenant, that probably seems right. Have to be careful with stadium capacity. If you go too big, it's a bit of a downer when you go through a cycle where you might be sitting bottom 4 for an extended period and have only a small crowd. But when you are at the top of your cycle . . .50,000.

This table illustrates the cycle actually. This is Gabba average crowds since 2009 (peak trough peak)
1695633581227.png

Here’s a few others

*, this is embarrassing. Can't believe you took the time to type all that, then felt it was a good idea to hit post...

I mean fair enough I guess.

Every teams supporter base feels hard done by at times.

The Cerra incident changed the trend of the way the tackle was adjudicated for the remainder of the season. Yes he was the first, but I think he helped the rectify some of the future judgings.

We've had some success with the tribunal of late, but over the years you can ask many Carlton fans and they feel the complete opposite. Plowman getting 2 weeks against JOM a few years back really sticks out.

In regards to free kicks, well we didn't have the greatest free kick differential this year, in fact we weren't even in the top 5.

The Weitering one I feel like there wasn't much in it. If Charlie Cameron can go completely unsighted for his repeated elbows to the head on Saad last weekend, I don't see how anything more than a fine for Weiters is appropriate.

Charlie does get a lot of free kicks, he always works for front position and tries to contest the ball, so I think that helps, a lot of forwards give up and the play and the umpires ignore it.
Harry on the other hand gets a couple from time to time, but at the same time, he is regularly hacked across the arms/ear and its called play on. The curse of being 204cm, if a smaller defender tries, the umpires genuinely let it go.
Thar said, Charlie received an average of 1.6 frees a game this year, that puts him in 25th. Harry 1.4, puts him around 50th.

The Newnes one was a complete debacle, the umpires had no idea what was going on.

The bidding on Henry seems logical, once again we were the first to do it, but why wouldn't rival clubs make teams pay a higher price for players that they legitimately want. Sydney did it several times last year, and I think it will be more common going forward.
The idea of Daicos, Ashcroft and a like not getting bid on at pick 1 is a bit ridiculous.

The Cripps one I would understand if people were furious at the AFL. They made a complete mess of the trial and were taken to task. If they want to operate as a legit organization, then they need to get their house in order.

Of all the big Melbourne based clubs, Carlton are the ones that have had to travel down to Geelong to play, We've had home games moved from the MCG to Marvel to play against away Vic based teams who only play at Marvel.

There is always the ghost of the Carlton of yesteryear that older supporters seem to cling onto. It's just hard for us younger fans to understand, because all we've know is a complete rabble of a club that has never really achieved anything.

In terms of big Melbourne teams getting advantages, I'm not sure if Carlton is really the one that gets the most.
Pies occasionally travel to Marvel, once a year. Seemed to have quite an umpiring advantage in their prelim, have a host of academy and father son players, have regularly attracted players from interstate by finding media jobs for the players and or their partners.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. It had been confusing me a bit over the last few days, seems like a huge celebration from 17 teams that Carlton, a team that hasn't achieved anything in 25 years, lost a Prelim.
Very measured and unemotional response
Thanks.👍
Nice to be talking to someone who doesn’t just instantly stick the boots in on Freo .

As far as advantages, yes Collingwood are another level again , don’t even get me started on that racket .

I guess us underling clubs hold most Big Vic clubs in similar regard.

It’s all fairly petty but that’s Big Footy I guess 😁

Writes a thesis to demonstrate precisely how much they don't really care.

I believe it.
Nope
I just don’t care
Your mate Forty3 asked , seems like a good sort actually.
How did you like the thesis?

Last edited:
Trying to work it out myself
Main reason is a good few of you lot ( not Forty3) are just Flogs and need to be reminded
Mate, there's a heap of flog posters from every club.
People see what they want to see. Are blinkered to the flogs from their own team, and a lot of time, attract replies that are equal to what they dish out, but thanks for keeping us all in check... I guess.
I've never really noticed any of your posts before, but you seem to be attracting some replies here. Perhaps a mirror is required?

This song is very appropriate in that it highlights the fact every gen has an issue with the 1 b4.

I spoke to two young Blues supporters flying out after the game on Saturday and even though I sympathised with the loss, spoke about their clubs improvement and said next year for them, they took delight in the fact that I was a Geelong supporter and just didn't hear that I said I had nothing to complain about.

It 'made them feel better".

You know what you can do with your Bias, I love footy, may the best team win.

Back