List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
So effectively it looks like the major changes of this off-season are Gresham and Coffield out with Henry and Dow in, along with a couple of decent draft picks. It's pretty sideways and I guess we're really backing in natural improvement.

My preferred lineup from the current list:

B: Wilkie, Howard, Stocker
HB: Sinclair, Battle, NWM
C: Hill, Steele, Wood
HF: Higgins, Sharman, Owens
F: Butler, King, Membrey

Foll: Marshall, Crouch, Windhager
Int: Phillipou, Henry, Dow, Webster
Sub: Clark

Lots of experience in Ross, Jones, Billings, Cordy, Paton on the fringe.

Looking at our draft hand, the jury is out on whether this has been a good trade period.

We've basically swapped Gresham and Coffield for Henry and Dow.

We technically have an extra first round pick this year but that will end up in the mid 20's in what is considered a weak draft. The value of that pick might not be far off the second we have given for Henry.

And then we have also managed to move our 2nd round this year down the order.

For all the talk about SOS being much more ruthless and better at the trade table than Gallagher was, I don't think he has a lot to show for it.

Looking at our draft hand, the jury is out on whether this has been a good trade period.

We technically have an extra first round pick this year but that will end up in the mid 20's in what is considered a weak draft. The value of that pick might not be far off the second we have given for Henry.

For all the talk about SOS being much more ruthless and better at the trade table than Gallagher was, I don't think he has a lot to show for it.
If Gags was still list manager what do you think he could have done better for us this trade period

I’m right in saying we got pick 21 for Gresh and pick 35

I still think yesterdays trade and getting essendon involved was dumb but overall the trade period, not bhed.

Gresh/Henry feels a wash with Henry being younger and without the injury and baggage history.

Coff going is sad for some (me included) but he hasn’t played for 2 years and we’ve got blokes in his position. Wish him well.

Dow helps a need and if he’s just depth cause others progress, great.

Kept our first and managed to slightly move up the order for our second.

Not sure why anyone is upset about it. It’s not a bumper haul but it’s a decent little mid week trip to Aldi and we’ve got plenty in the cupboard.

If you look at it another way.

We've moved on a small forward and a back man. Two positions we have plenty of players in.

And replaced them with young high potential middle of the ground options where we lack depth.

In trade periods you rarely outright 'win' as the other side also have to be pleased. What we've done so far amounts to a successful trade period imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t get the negativity … we were never going to come out swinging for top players because of what you’d have to give up .. we need to keep drafting younger talent

I’ve said for a while our best players are 28+ so it’s absolutely imperative we add to the group of king owens NWM etc

Really happy with Dow and Henry for that reason let alone they fill a need

I also get there was maybe the carrot dangled of extra picks moving up the order etc but you can’t just pluck things out of thin air .. the other art to list management is nailing the picks that you’ve got so let’s give the team that chance before seeking this period no good

Lochie Neale went at pick 58…… just saying

Statistically it's extremely rare but it's always easier to win any lottery if you have a ticket. I'm keen to try a couple of state league players in the PSD, I reckon with a shallow draft it becomes a lot more tempting.

Ginnivan being talked about as first rounder to Hawthorn and we got an end of 1st round for Gresh.

Speaking of small forwards Freo did well out of the Shultz trade - Pick 34 and the Pies future first - so 34 and 18 = Pick 9 minimum.

I think I'd take Pick 9 for Dan Butler

A bit too glass half empty there mate.
SOS got his targets and didn't get reamed. Thats all you can ask.

They've got 3 live picks which is only the minimum and SOS can't dictate player movement or the market in general.
This year we were a minnow in a whale tank, but we didn't **** anything up.
6.5/10

Yeah, it's not a massive upgrade and I think we've had another draft where we expected that some of the players we put up for trade/FA would look a lot more tempting to other sides. Because we haven't stockpiled talent we don't have much to trade with still.

Henry is potentially an upgrade on Gresham but could also be one where Gresham gets back to his best and embarrasses us. Perhaps Gresh just wasn't as committed to the cause as they liked though. He had a poor year under Ross Lyon. Him and Dougal both went backwards under Ross.

Dow has a lower ceiling than Coff but looks more of a need. I would have liked to keep a full suite of picks for next year but it is what it is now. Toce is going to have to make the picks we do have into something good.

I'm not as into this draft as the club is. I would have kept out of it as much as possible and maybe tried to push up if anything.

will be busy nearing close of trade period,so wont be able to follow all the moves closely,please ease my mind and tell me that we cant trade pick 21(compo pick)back to essendon for shiel,in the same way ralph said we couldnt trade 13 back to them

sos is heading for a high grade mark for the trade period as it stands imo & i was deadset worried about him,please dont fxxx it up on the last day sos

Not sure saying pick 21 and 35 are about the same value but pick 40 is such a huge downgrade is it.

What we’ve done is swap Gresh and Coffield for Henry and Dow and upgraded our second and third picks in the draft about 15 places (give or take) each.

Not sure there was much better we missed, would have been good to get amoungst the pick swapping with North but ultimately we ended up with a pick in a similar range to what they were moving around anyways.

Even though our current picks of 13 &21 will drop back 4 or 5 spots only the pick 3 North got for FA will affect our player selections
Gold Coast Academy kids and W/Bulldogs FS pick will be the reason we drop back and those kids are only going to the club's mentioned.
And with Gold Coast having so many picks in the 2nd round our 3rd pick is likely to be low to mid 30"s.
So we haven't done to bad IMO

When did I suggest he would have done better?

Just pointing out the earlier thoughts on SOS compared to Gallagher prior to trade period

Gallagher did lots of moves but still managed to have a very uneven and confused list IMO. The lack of mids was a real blight on his time. When we lost Dunstan we should have been finding depth mids . 2 years in a row we ran out of ready to go mids when we had injuries. Probably cost Ratts his job. Even this year, it may have cost us a higher ladder position. When Steele was injured our form went south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back