Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Knightmare,
How do you rate Collingwood's chances of getting moore with second round pick? Also, if they happens, who would they look to draft with pick 11?

Km

Seems like a reasonably clear picture of dalrymples drafting philosophy is becoming evident:

1. Must be able to win contests
2. Must be versatile and able to play in multiple positions
3. Must be of high character
4. Must be footy smart
5. Take long term best available based on upside and regardless of injury or exposed form.
6. Take Victorians whenever possible.

Seems like more traditional assets (ie speed) aren't as high on his list of priorities and neither is team needs.

That being the case, who do you think fits the criteria at pick 6 if the 3 talls and petraca/Brayshaw are off the board?
I'd probably say that Jake Lever fits the bill in most of those categories.

Cannot believe the patience you have to reply to every comment. The profiles are greatly appreciated as well.

My question is in regards to Hammelmann, who do you think will bid on him if you're predicting him to go to the Lions in the second round? As a Brisbane fan I'm obviously hoping he and Dawson receive second round bids so we don't have to move until at least the third, giving us four pretty top 35-ish rated players...wishful think but a boy can only dream! Also, what are your views on Clayton and Roos (Lions' f/s candidates)? Likely to go in the rookie or national drafts?

Cheers mate

Hi Knightmare, I know you get asked this every year. Which 10-20 draftees stand to be the most relevant from a fantasy football perspective over the shorter and longer term? Who would be the next Wines or Macrae or O'Meara statistically speaking?

Short - Petracca, Bampton might be the two best options
Long term - Heeney, Brayshaw, Ahern, Lamb, Blakely, Gore, Duggan, Wellar

Where do you see WCE finishing up ?

Cant see us winning another game apart from the Melbourne home game.
And that will be 50/50 game as we be putting players out to get ready for preseason.

I think we will finish 6th maybe even 5th last, with Richmond Carlton and maybe the Bulldogs jumping over us.

Teams are winning games they shouldn't and this year is a year beyond predicting. Could end up with anything from pick 5 to pick 7, maybe pick 8. Too many unpredictable teams with fluctuating form to accurately guess.

Knightmare, Waterman was not invited to the combine. Will this effect his ranking? Could you see West Coast picking him up as a forth rounder?

Otherwise I find it interesting that not enough teams are interested in him for a combine invite.

It could well be less interest than previously many of us many have anticipated with Waterman.

It probably less effects his standing on draft boards as it likely is a reflection of recruiters just not rating him as highly as some may.

WCE could the way things are looking be able to grab Waterman with their final draft selection which would be a good outcome for a well performed strong bodied midfielder.

Km

Seems like a reasonably clear picture of dalrymples drafting philosophy is becoming evident:

1. Must be able to win contests
2. Must be versatile and able to play in multiple positions
3. Must be of high character
4. Must be footy smart
5. Take long term best available based on upside and regardless of injury or exposed form.
6. Take Victorians whenever possible.

Seems like more traditional assets (ie speed) aren't as high on his list of priorities and neither is team needs.

That being the case, who do you think fits the criteria at pick 6 if the 3 talls and petraca/Brayshaw are off the board?

Lever is the logical one if that's the criteria.

Moore if he wasn't F/S for Collingwood is the other obvious one who ticks those boxes.

KM any thoughts on Jordan Harper from Belconnen? Seems to have been dominating the NEAFL, could he be a chance of a late rookie pick?

Don't get the opportunity to see any NEAFL games in Victoria so haven't seen Jordan Harper play this year.

Some NSW/QLD scouts will hopefully know more about him and if he's draft relevant.

Hey Knightmare,
How do you rate Collingwood's chances of getting moore with second round pick? Also, if they happens, who would they look to draft with pick 11?

Not happening.

The more relevant question would be if Collingwood decide not to nominate Moore who do they take instead. Hugh Goddard possibly if after a key position player. For pace Pickett is logical with the way he takes on games. Laverde would be a good get as someone with some Bontempelli as a real upside pick.

But if Moore in some crazy scenario can be had second round again the same names would be among those I'd be thinking about.

Cannot believe the patience you have to reply to every comment. The profiles are greatly appreciated as well.

My question is in regards to Hammelmann, who do you think will bid on him if you're predicting him to go to the Lions in the second round? As a Brisbane fan I'm obviously hoping he and Dawson receive second round bids so we don't have to move until at least the third, giving us four pretty top 35-ish rated players...wishful think but a boy can only dream! Also, what are your views on Clayton and Roos (Lions' f/s candidates)? Likely to go in the rookie or national drafts?

Cheers mate

Port Adelaide, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Essendon and St Kilda all are teams who should be looking at nominating Hammelmann. With the latter three teams who absolutely in my mind must nominate Hammelmann.

Still plausible though that Hammelmann and Dawson only require 3rd/4th round selections to take and it will depend entirely on the evaluation of clubs.

Clayton and Roos are possible nominations. Clayton is improving sharply and in recent weeks has gone from some playing some mild at best games to find more ball and started to hit the scoreboard more frequently so if he keeps that up a nomination is very possible. Roos is a hard inside type but lacks some polish and consistency by foot.

Hi Knightmare, I know you get asked this every year. Which 10-20 draftees stand to be the most relevant from a fantasy football perspective over the shorter and longer term? Who would be the next Wines or Macrae or O'Meara statistically speaking?

Petracca, Brayshaw, Heeney, Laverde, Ahern, Pickett, Nelson, Bampton, Blakely, Stretch, Garlett, Gore, Neal-Bullen, L.Dawson, L.Weller, Waterman and J.Glenn all have some scope to play and score strongly.

Long term Heeney is the star in my mind and that eventual super premium. Brayshaw and Petracca also can be premiums.

Josh Glenn as a mature defender if drafted also will be fantasy gold.

Would love Hugh Goddard, he goes to the same school as me. Im quite confused about why Goddard isn't a top 5 pick. He seems to be extremely athletic for a keyforward and possesses above average skills by both foot and hand as well. Marcus Bontempelli didnt dominate under 18s but he was picked at 4, I see Goddard being in a similar situation as a high ceiling project. Obviously I can be a bit biased, but Goddard seems to have tools to be a great forward in modern football
Teams are winning games they shouldn't and this year is a year beyond predicting. Could end up with anything from pick 5 to pick 7, maybe pick 8. Too many unpredictable teams with fluctuating form to accurately guess.

It could well be less interest than previously many of us many have anticipated with Waterman.

It probably less effects his standing on draft boards as it likely is a reflection of recruiters just not rating him as highly as some may.

WCE could the way things are looking be able to grab Waterman with their final draft selection which would be a good outcome for a well performed strong bodied midfielder.

Lever is the logical one if that's the criteria.

Moore if he wasn't F/S for Collingwood is the other obvious one who ticks those boxes.

Don't get the opportunity to see any NEAFL games in Victoria so haven't seen Jordan Harper play this year.

Some NSW/QLD scouts will hopefully know more about him and if he's draft relevant.

Not happening.

The more relevant question would be if Collingwood decide not to nominate Moore who do they take instead. Hugh Goddard possibly if after a key position player. For pace Pickett is logical with the way he takes on games. Laverde would be a good get as someone with some Bontempelli as a real upside pick.

But if Moore in some crazy scenario can be had second round again the same names would be among those I'd be thinking about.

Port Adelaide, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Essendon and St Kilda all are teams who should be looking at nominating Hammelmann. With the latter three teams who absolutely in my mind must nominate Hammelmann.

Still plausible though that Hammelmann and Dawson only require 3rd/4th round selections to take and it will depend entirely on the evaluation of clubs.

Clayton and Roos are possible nominations. Clayton is improving sharply and in recent weeks has gone from some playing some mild at best games to find more ball and started to hit the scoreboard more frequently so if he keeps that up a nomination is very possible. Roos is a hard inside type but lacks some polish and consistency by foot.

Petracca, Brayshaw, Heeney, Laverde, Ahern, Pickett, Nelson, Bampton, Blakely, Stretch, Garlett, Gore, Neal-Bullen, L.Dawson, L.Weller, Waterman and J.Glenn all have some scope to play and score strongly.

Long term Heeney is the star in my mind and that eventual super premium. Brayshaw and Petracca also can be premiums.

Josh Glenn as a mature defender if drafted also will be fantasy gold.

Would love Hugh Goddard, he goes to the same school as me. Im quite confused about why Goddard isn't a top 5 pick. He seems to be extremely athletic for a keyforward and possesses above average skills by both foot and hand as well. Marcus Bontempelli didnt dominate under 18s but he was picked at 4, I see Goddard being in a similar situation as a high ceiling project. Obviously I can be a bit biased, but Goddard seems to have tools to be a great forward in modern football

Hugh Goddard is athletic and strong. His form due it seems to his off-season hip surgery has suffered.

My criticism with Hugh is he doesn't dominate games. He does many things well but no one thing to a dominant level. And he can play good games but you don't against good competition really feel his influence like you do with the great key position players. He's a good all-rounder but without that one point of difference and production in the TAC Cup and particularly the u18 championships not up to the expected dominant level he's someone who most likely still goes first round but most likely somewhere around pick 10.

I think he's got a career in our game as a key forward or key defender and he's now in comparing my views to those of others slightly underrated. He's not a number one option but he's someone as a number two option forward or back and as a centre half forward or centre half back someone who can contribute and contribute strongly which is about the outcome the club drafting Hugh will be hoping for.

But back onto the Pies I had the curious decision in the bigfooty trial phantom draft between Moore and Goddard at pick 11 (http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/big-footy-phantom-draft-2014-trial-run.1071146/) as the selector for the Pies.

I slightly favour Moore because he's a taller guy but also has rare ground level ability and contested ball winning ability which at 199cm really sets him apart while also having the contested marking ability.

In the Pies situation I like Moore a little more as the media and others seem to. Moore has that same ability to play forward or back as Goddard but with his extra height and rare ground level ability and contested ball winning ability in general play for a guy at 199cm I slightly favour his scope to improve with the contested marking ability for him also there.

Hi Knightmare,
Some teams rate darcy Moore as a top 3 talent do you rate him that highly aswell?
Do you think Collinwgood will try and acquire another 1st round pick?

Hey knightmare.

All the talk has been heeney with sydney, not many have even looked at Abe Davis.

How do you rate him?

Hi Knightmare,
Some teams rate darcy Moore as a top 3 talent do you rate him that highly aswell?
Do you think Collinwgood will try and acquire another 1st round pick?

I don't rate Moore a top 3 talent. But top 10? Sure.

My power rankings are listed in post 1, page 1 so you can see where I rate everyone there.

Hey knightmare.

All the talk has been heeney with sydney, not many have even looked at Abe Davis.

How do you rate him?

I'm not a massive fan of Abe Davis.

He reminds me a lot of Serhet Temel who was overlooked some years ago.

Davis while he's played reasonably well in the games I've seen he's just too unathletic. His movement is terrible.

He looks like a potentially very good state leaguer but not convinced he has AFL quality talent.

That said some other scouts are high on him so my opinion on him doesn't mean he's going undrafted. He's a genuine chance to be nominated by Sydney in the national draft or if not then picked up by some other club needing a tall more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's happened to Ryan Lim? Has seemingly fallen off everyone's radar.

Was pretty highly rated last year. Was in the AIS program and has got some pretty good numbers in the WAFL and U18 Champs with good efficiency ratings, purely based off stats.

Haven't seen him actually play though this year.

Lim has some ability. Athletic. Can play back or midfield. He's improving by foot and even by foot has done some damage at times but he can lack some consistency.

He's someone I rate around 50. Draftable but wouldn't be spending a high pick on him.

It's less Lim hasn't performed as much as others are showing what they've got and are rising up the standings.

While we are on Swans academy players getting very little coverage compared to Heeney what do you think of Jack Hiscox as from what I have seen of him he looks promising?

Abe Davis is generally that other Sydney Academy guy spoken about as a fair draft chance.

But Hiscox in his own right has his own opportunity to get drafted but probably more as a rookie. His marking ability in the games have looked good - reads the flight well, marks it out in front, can lead hard for the footy, can mark on full stretch and 1v1 work pretty good. He tackles hard. Clean at ground level and clean hands. Has pace. Can play a variety of positions and forward or back goes ok. I'd like to see him use his pace in game more as he should given his pace.

Heeney as 2nd best prospect showing how much a Steal the Swans are Getting:mad:

I know, right! KM's phantom drafts are used by all the recruiters to establish how they should be ranking draft prospects!

On Heeney he's not a consensus number two guy as Wright is not a consensus number one guy. They're just the two I personally see having the strongest careers at AFL level with Wright in my mind that most dominant forward and Heeney that midfielder with the greatest scope to develop.

Many will have McCartin and Petracca as their top two and I like both but not as much.

I bet Sydney are laughing!

Sydney will be laughing next year just as hard when they also get Mills.

Brisbane will love Keays also.

It's not out of the question Keays and Mills become the two best in next years draft. Both look like stars if their development continues.

It's not out of the question Keays and Mills become the two best in next years draft. Both look like stars if their development continues.

Keays looks like hes a player just from seeing pictures of him. Sort of like how O'Merea looked like he was builtfor AFL.

How much will Sydney be laughing if they get Mills and Dunkley and they only cost them their regular picks in that draft!? Even if they had to give up all their picks in that draft it looks like they could be pulling off a robbery.

Keays looks like hes a player just from seeing pictures of him. Sort of like how O'Merea looked like he was builtfor AFL.

He's not O'Meara athletic to be that same transcendent talent but he'll be the best Queenslander since Dayne Beams. Not out of the question Keays develops into a better player than Beams.

How much will Sydney be laughing if they get Mills and Dunkley and they only cost them their regular picks in that draft!? Even if they had to give up all their picks in that draft it looks like they could be pulling off a robbery.

Sydney could win the premiership again next year and getting these guys for an end of first round and end of second round pick will be absolutely incredible.

Dunkley is a top 10 pick at this stage also next year so they'll be draft winners again next year due less to superior ability to identify talent as it will be due to circumstance.

Brisbane will likely finish bottom 5 so at least with Keays they'll probably be taking him with a pick around his worth, but getting Heeney, Mills and Dunkley possibly at 18, 18 and 36 is absolutely rediculous and if they don't change the system then it's unbelievably unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back