OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Firstly, if opposition fans aren't welcome then feel free to move/delete/do whatever with this post.

As a neutral fan who attended the G today, with a strong bias toward Port (thanks Gus), I just want to say how incredible your fans are.

As someone that's been going to the MCG all my life I have never seen a minority set of fans make such incredible noise. The atmosphere you created was unbelievable (and was louder than Hawthorn for much of the game) and me and my mates were just blown away by the level of passion and support of your fans, especially considering the state you guys were in only two years ago. And that's before we even start talking about your coach and that team of yours.

As a Bombers fan I hope that if Paddy Ryder is going to go anywhere then he goes to a club with proper support, like Port and join a mate of his.

All the best next season! :thumbsu:

It seemed from where i was sitting that we were making more noise as well but sometimes you just get that impression when you are surrounded by fellow supporters. Was a great atmosphere at the game, if not a little testy at times.

It seemed from where i was sitting that we were making more noise as well but sometimes you just get that impression when you are surrounded by fellow supporters. Was a great atmosphere at the game, if not a little testy at times.
Got very testy in our area too around the time Monfries won that free kick in the last. Hawks fans were up in arms and we were quick to point out the numerous soft ones that they had received up to that point.
Really emotional game.

Last edited:

Got very testy in our area too around the time Monfries won that free kick in the last. Hawks fans were up in arms and we were quick to point out the numerous soft ones that had received up to that point.
Really emotional game.
monfries was a clear free though, the bloke hit him front on. a bit soft but had to be paid.

Seriously my ears are ringing still. I have no doubt that 20k port fans were louder than 50k Hawks fans. They had a couple moments where they fired up but our fans were HUGE today.

Great effort guys, we gave it our all. Can't wait to watch the first qtr on replay and listen to the noise.

monfries was a clear free though, the bloke hit him front on. a bit soft but had to be paid.
He was watching the ball, it was an umpiring mistake. It was not a free. In the opposite manner to Gunstons massive push in the back goal. That was equally terrible

Hawks supporters are generally pretty good. But they don't make a hellavu lot of noise until they get on top.

Last year went to the Hawks Swans final and I swear the swans supporters made more noise until after halftime when the Hawks piled it on

The loudest the Hawks supporters got tonight was when Monfries was given that free

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Television just does not do the noise justice. We need a fan cam or something.

OneHD and Nine used to really up the crowd mics to give the atmosphere a real fizz. Since regaining the rights Seven have put the mufflers on to the point where the Adelaide Oval crowd at the EF sounded embarrassingly muted.

Because what people want isn't to feel like they're immersed in the feel of the ground, they want it to sound like they're in a lift with Luke "Pordelaide" Darcy and Bruce "Don't you?" McAvaney.

OneHD and Nine used to really up the crowd mics to give the atmosphere a real fizz. Since regaining the rights Seven have put the mufflers on to the point where the Adelaide Oval crowd at the EF sounded embarrassingly muted.

Because what people want isn't to feel like they're immersed in the feel of the ground, they want it to sound like they're in a lift with Luke "Pordelaide" Darcy and Bruce "Don't you?" McAvaney.

It makes me want to scream. I never got to take Mrs P. to a game when she was in Australia and that was a time when 20,000 at Footy Park was a good result for us. I want to experience, and I want her to experience, the full roar of 50,000 of the Alberton Crowd at Adelaide Oval, not the witterings of Darcy, McAvaney or "WOW-WEE" Taylor.

The Monfries free was obvious. Gibson never at any stage made the ball his objective. For the life of me I can't see how anyone could view it as a non free.
apparently if you have your eyes on the ball you can get away with anything. hit them in the head, hit them front on, shoot your mrs through the toilet door, push them in the back, , trip them up, murder azaria......

The Monfries free was obvious. Gibson never at any stage made the ball his objective. For the life of me I can't see how anyone could view it as a non free.
Finny you're not paying close enough attention to the jumper Gibson was wearing. That's the justification.

I thought our fans were very supportive and passionate, they did the club proud fighting the fight against the majority.

Almost lifted the boys to another win. Let's hope the supporters stick fat for a long time.

sorry chaps, it was a definite free.

first example, bartel pushes parker from a front on position and is correctly paid a free.....

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-01-12/2014-laws-of-the-game-marking-contest-free-kicks

you cant hit a bloke front on in a marking contest.
Sorry mate you are wrong. It wasn't front on contact it was two guys going at the ball colliding. If Gibson wasn't going at the ball and watching it the whole way it would've been a free.. As a trained umpire that was an umpiring error and would be classed as such.

Great post from the OP and I agree with it all - I am planning a trip to Adelaide Oval next year, hope the Bombers play you guys there...........

We were immense in the stands today. Everyone around me gave everything they had.

We made so much noise in comparison to Hawthorn I felt. Even when they went 4 goals up in the last it was just like they were going through the motions as a fan base. No real excitement. Maybe they've been there and done that, but guys it's a prelim. Get involved!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back